SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southpointmom_gw

Car Safety Tip

southpointmom
17 years ago

As a long time "lurker", I've enjoyed all the information and tips I've received here. I thought I'd share one of my own. My dog is a frequent rider in my car. Several years ago, my hubby and I were talking about car safety and began to wonder what would happen if I had an accident with the furbaby in the car. After doing some investigation, I discovered a couple of important things. After an accident, the pet is scared. When the car door is opened, he or she may bolt into traffic. If they don't bolt, they may try to "protect" you from any needed medical attention. For your safety, as well as the safety of your pet, please use some type of restraint. There are seatbelt adapters that connect to a harness, travel crates and even pet car seats. Each are worth their weight in gold. The second thing I discovered is that if you are injured and unable to care for your pet, Animal Control will be called. While this is better than nothing, it isn't the optimal situation. In an effort to protect and insure my pet receives the best medical care possible, I keep a notarized letter in my glove compartment, right along with my car registration. The letter ask that my pet be transported to a local vet for examination, whether injuries are visible or not. It also clearly states that I will be responsible for any and all debts incurred in the treatment and care of my pet. While this doesn't guarantee my instructions will be followed, it does give me comfort to know I'm doing everything possible to be a responsible pet owner.

Comment (1)