SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gogators93

Jandy Pool Equipment

gogators93
16 years ago

I had a pool put in a little over 4 years ago and the builder used all Jandy equipment. Now I'm not sure if Jandy stuff is poor quality or if I have a problem or just bad luck. I keep having pressure related failures such as:

Jandy DE 60 filter (leaked around the ring, blew out the side, blew off the top pressure guage

Jandy Stealth JHPU20 pump. leaked around R0556000 Mounting Bracket twice. Replaced seal.

Not Jandy related, but I also had the titanium coil split in my AquaCal heatpump once but they said they had a production problem with those coils around the year I had mine installed.

I have a caretaker floor cleaning system that I know adds back pressure as it revolves to cycle the heads. My pressure guage on the DE filter only runs around 32 PSI though which should be well in tolerance.

The lastest is the gasket is leaking on my check valve and the R0556000 Mounting Bracket is cracked around the ears. That could be my fault when I replaced the seal about 8 months ago but I don't know. I'm ordering a new one tomorrow to replace it. Easy enough to do but any adviced on tightning so as not to reduce the chance of this happening again would be most welcome.

The last time I had to replace the Bracket Gasket, I opened the bullet valves some to return the water to the pool. The builder had told me to return all the water through the caretaker system. It lowered the pressure a small bit but I figured it would prevent backpressure building up. This is the first failure I've had since then.

So foe you guys that deal with Jandy stuff on a day to day basis, does Jandy have quality issues? There was a bulletin on the vavle stalk being weak and they said the DE case was faulty. Any issues I should look into that could be causing pressure problems?

If Jandy stuff is sub standard, what is considered top of the line quality equipment because I'm about ready to start replacing equipment if I continue to have problems.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (17)

• gogators93
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Not sure if it matters, but I have a 28 X 14 freeform salt pool. I run the pump about 9 hours per day.

Thanks again!

• repair_guy
    16 years ago

32 psi is way to high and it sounds like your getting back pressure on the system from the floor cleaner. You could drop the horsepower on the pump to a 1.5 as your "2" is actually about a 2.65HP total. Tanks do crack and you usually see more of that in the Hayward line or the Pentair 4000 series. Across the board, Jandy is pretty good stuff but IMO their pumps are not the best quality. They will tell you otherwise. The best quality pump for th $ is the Pentair Whisperflo which the new IntelliFlos are built on. If the filter tank o-ring is leaking it could be that when you cleaned the filter, you did not remove the o-ring, wipe it and wipe out the channel. In addition that o-ring is not a true "O"-ring. It is actually flat on one side and if you don't position it correctly, with the wiping, it will certainly leak. The pump mounting bracket o-ring and the pump seal are two different things so I'm unsure how to advise. Snug plus a 1/4 turn is sufficient on any hardware.

• Related Discussions

Jandy LX400 pool heater

Q

Comments (2)
    Why do you figure you have no warranty on the equipment. If you have a warranty problem I'm certain that Jandy will send someone out to your home under the Mfg's warranty period even if your builder is out of the game. It just won't be your builder. You'll find your heater to be an awesome appliance. See ya, Kelly
    ...See More

New pool build- questions re: equipment

Q

Comments (23)
    I would not use the salt system, and instead us a Del Ozone machine, with a tablet chlorinator dial to the lowest setting, and a DE filter. Salt is corrosive, and maintenance is costlier. Ozone is the cost effective sanitizer. It can help reduce the need for repeated chemical purchase costs. This is what I use, I have the Eclipse 4 and could not be happier. Enjoy Here is a link that might be useful: Del Ozone Residential Pool Application
    ...See More

online pool equipment

Q

Comments (3)
    Our policy is to not install anything a homeowner buys on the internet. One reason. If it has a problem, what do you do? Are you going to cut it out and pay to ship it back or is the installer? One lady had a bad Quad DE that she got a great deal on and it needed returned. It was a shipping damage thing so warranty was not responsible. Had I put it in from stock in the local distributor, I have the advantage of not accepting it until checked by me personally. You don't have that online and you have no idea of where this stuff comes from or how it was handled. From my local wholesale distributor, I can see the box before I buy it and if I suspect something, I can check it out. Your installer will not put something in twice for the same cost and suddenly your good deal is not so good. Support your local companies, your community needs it. Most "internet" suppliers have grinded down a supplier and make about $20 on a piece of equipment over wholesale and never see the stuff. They take your order and have it shipped to you from a location who knows where. Not grinding my own ax here, but my opinion is based on fact of what I see daily.
    ...See More

Pool Equipment Storage (When you don't have a pool house)

Q

Comments (2)
    If you are getting a safety cover, one item is a must, a Toters 96 gallon trash can. The wheels make it portable and easy to move, the safety cover will fit in it when folded for the Summer and the lid keeps mice and other rodents out so they can't nest and chew(expensive repairs), can hold pool toys and tools, pool sweeps, and stuff in the Winter, and are extremely durable. I also like Rubber Maid deck boxes for storing powdered chems such as Alkalinity Increaser, pH Increaser, 3" tabs, di-chlor and cal-hypo powdered shocking powders, DE, ... I DON'T use air tight storage so that any fumes can dissipate don't accumulate. Any liquids such as algaecides, Muriatic acid, sequesterants should be stored where they can't freeze and won't be subjected to very warm/hot locations, i.e. not next to a furnace. Also keep them out of reach from young children. I minimize the quantity of these I keep on hand. Scott
    ...See More
  • gogators93
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I hope we are talking about the same thing. The pressue guage on top of the Jandy DE 60 is about 32. The pressure guage on the floorcleaner runs about 12 to 15 psi depending on which zone is on. I have watched the pressure guage on the DE pump and it seems to drop when the cleaner zones rotate. I would have thought it would raise it but I'm probably wrong.

The Jandy DE filter has not leaked since they replaced it so I hope I don't have any more trouble with it.

I have routed more flow back through the bullet jets to lower the pressure to around 30 on the DE guage but if I go much lower, it won't clean as well. The pressure has never been under 30 since it was first setup four years ago by the installer. What should it be and what options do I have to get it lower? Well, it's good to know that my problems are probably caused by something other than poor equipment. Now just to figure out how to fix it.

Oh, I am replacing the R055600 which they call the mounting bracket. It is the part the motor bolts onto and that bolts to the main housing. One of the ears is broken so I guess I must have tightened it too much.

Thanks again for the replies and if you have any more advice, I'm sure listening.

• repair_guy
    16 years ago

30 pounds and not cleaning well means your over sized on your pum/filter combo. That's a no brainer. Pressure is not a good thing. It is an indicator of the flow rate into the filter being greater than the outlet flow or resistance on the outlet side. In this case, your in floor system. The fluctuation is normal as the valve rotates. It should not be going to zero by any means. With a De filter running at 30 as "normal" your net purchase will be a set of grids due to crushing. You really need someone to evaluate the flow dynamics on this system and either properly size the pump or the filter to the existing pump.

• gogators93
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Repair Guy. I'm going to repair all my leaks next week when my parts arrive and I'm going to go through the whole system and make sure everything is perfectly clean. I'm going to backwash the filter, clean the pump basket, floor cleaner screens, ect and see what my pressure is with everything completely clean.

Oh, the floor cleaner system cleans just fine with partial water being returned through the bullets. If I run both the bullet returns and floor cleaners completely open, it has a couple of dead spots.

I just went out and tried something to see what results I would get. Now this is assumming my pressure guage is correct which I'm pretty sure it is as I received a whole new guage for the recalled stem and they both read the same.

I returned all the water just through the floor cleaner and it measured about 32 lbs.

I then returned all the water just through the bullet returns for about 32 lbs also.

I then completely opened the valve so it would return through both the floor cleaner and bullet returns for about 30 lbs.

With both still open, I turned on my sheer water fall and it dropped to about 27 lbs. So with everything wide open, I'm still at 27 lbs. (Bangs head on wall!)

So you are saying my pump, filter or both are too big? I will contact my builder and talk to him and have him come out.

Just out of curiosity, with a properly sized pump, filter and enough pressure for the cleaners to work properly, what pressure would you expect to be normal?

Also, I am quite knowledgable in reef tanks and we use some high powered pumps for those. If they are too powerful, you put a valve on the output and restrict the flow back. I doubt you could do that with a big pump like this, but you never know. Other possibility is can you swap out the impeller to reduce the flow?

Thanks again for your help.

• gogators93
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wanted to give you an update for all the help you gave me. I did a complete disassemble of the DE filter today. Goodness it was nasty. I guess I need to clean it more instead of just backwashing it. Anyway, I removed all the panels and inspected them. They were all in great condition. No tears or crushing. I rinsed all the dirt off and reassembled the DE filter. Put it back together and added the DE powder. I started everything up and set the valves like I normally have them to get good pressure the in floor system and some to the bullet returns. My pressure dropped from 32 to 25 pounds.

Now the strange part is my system from day one has never ran under 30 lbs even when it was installed brand new. I'm just thrilled I have my pressure down quite a bit now.

Thanks again for all your help repair guy. It may not be perfect, but it is better than it has ever been.

• iggy_az
    16 years ago

gogators93
    I hate to butt in but I have read all the information and it just seems that the pump you have has way too much output. and your filter system is ok but for a smaller pump. You should be running about 10-12 psi on the filter pressure guage and when it rises to 20 you should clean your DE system.
    THe only other thing that may be the type of material you are using in your DE system may be the problem all together.
    The bottom line is you do have way too much pressure and after hearing about the pump seal going I would imagion you have a restriction some where and unless you have a rubber ball stuck some where I think it is in the DE filter material.
    But then again I might be totally wrong. What do you think?
    Iggy in Arizona

• gogators93
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Iggy,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and answer.

I'm in no way an expert so I have no idea. That's the main reason for me coming here to seek some advice. I'm pretty sure I don't have any rubber balls in the plumbing though but with a 5 year old, you never know LOL!

Right now I'm happy I have managed to get the pressure at last check to 24 lbs. That is a big improvement over what I had.

I did call Jandy tech support and spoke with them about my combination. They said the DEL60 is designed to work with high pressure pumps like the one I had and had a maximum 50 PSI pressure but they would consider 15 to 30 PSI as being normal for that filter in what I described that I have.

I'm confused about your comment on the type of DE material. Are there different types? I'm using the ones that came with the filter. There are eight panels and were really nasty when I broke it down. I took it all apart and cleaned them with a hose sprayer and inspected each one closely and none were crushed and no tears anywhere. They looked brand new when I put it back together.

• gogators93
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Iggy,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and answer.

I'm in no way an expert so I have no idea. That's the main reason for me coming here to seek some advice. I'm pretty sure I don't have any rubber balls in the plumbing though but with a 5 year old, you never know LOL!

Right now I'm happy I have managed to get the pressure at last check to 24 lbs. That is a big improvement over what I had.

I did call Jandy tech support and spoke with them about my combination. They said the DEL60 is designed to work with high pressure pumps like the one I had and had a maximum 50 PSI pressure but they would consider 15 to 30 PSI as being normal for that filter in what I described that I have.

I'm confused about your comment on the type of DE material. Are there different types? I'm using the ones that came with the filter. There are eight panels and were really nasty when I broke it down. I took it all apart and cleaned them with a hose sprayer and inspected each one closely and none were crushed and no tears anywhere. They looked brand new when I put it back together.

• iggy_az
    16 years ago

Gagators93
    You are correct DE mateial is DE Material. I made a mistake. All in all I still think your pressure is very high and if the filter is good then the only 2 things that can increase it to that level is a restriction or the pump has too high of a gpm output for your plumbing.

Just curious has the pressure ever been lower or has it always been high?

Also when you open all your valves to waterfall and return lines you do you have a large amount of flow at all the outlets and waterfall?

Have you checked the skimmer basket at the pump?

I'm sure things are ok but the only time I have seen high pressure like your is when my filter was real dirty and needed cleaning and that was about 20psi. After cleaning is drops to 10 psi.

Good luck and keep us posted if you find anything weird.

Oh. Have you ever tried removing the stuff/elements from the DE tank and close it up and see what the pressure is without nothing inside? Can this be done?

• gogators93
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Iggy,

The pressure has been around 32 from day one when I my PB finished the job. He had all the return going directly to the pool through the floor cleaner. After some of the first pressure related failures, I partially opened the bullet returns to get the pressure down to around 30. As I posted earlier, with everthing wide open (cleaners, bullets and waterfall) I was still pushing 27 psi.

I did not try to open everything this time, but I'm guessing it would be under 20 if I did. I can't run it that way though with the waterfall on all the time.

With everything open, I get plenty of return flow to everything. The cleaners still have enough pressure to pop open but leave a few deadspot. I have the bullets return about half open now and it floor cleaner still cleans just fine.

I've never removed the DE panels and close it up to see what happens. I didn't think you could do that. I know it says don't run it longer than so many minutes without DE. I should have noticed the pressure before I added the DE powder. I will do that next time.

• repair_guy
    16 years ago

quote "15-30 PSI as being normal for that filter in what I described that I have.

I find it hilarious that Jandy tech support says that. Yes, that is what we already said and you don't need tech support to tell you.

Normal for that filter and pump. DUH! It still does not change the fact that 30 is way too high and the current filter/pump combo is mismatched.

Good to get to 24 but a 1/2HP drop in impeller would be better.

"Operating psi of 50" that's a good one too. They'll offer that one to everybody all day to make you fell better. I would not let my kid or anyone else near that filter if it is anywhere near 35.

• gogators93
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I understand what you are saying and know that the longterm fix is to consider another pump. I've been reading alot about the itelliflow pump and it sounds interesting but I want to understand all I can about it. I also don't have the cash to throw at one right now so getting the pressure down on the current one hopefully will sustain me without any further leaks until I can.

Now the comment you make about 1/2HP drop in impeller. Are you saying that I can use a different impeller on my pump or a pump with 1/2 HP less? I know you can do that with large saltwater aquarium pumps. I know I have plenty of flow in the pool now through the cleaner so that could be a benefit.

• infloorparts
    15 years ago

For those of you who are not familiar with in floor cleaning systems, The normal operating pressure for your filter is 28 to 32 psi and 15-20 psi for your in floor valve.
    On average you should have a 10 pound pressure loss between your filter and in-floor valve.

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

Can't believe this one was dragged up to the top. The same comments in the earlier posts should be given weight. "Normal"...

Normal is no always good. You put an in floor system on the pool and the builder assumes he needs major flow so he puts a Stealth pump that is 2HP on a 460 filter. Yep, normal would be 30+ in pressure. That still does not make it good. run that system at about 15-18 psi (which you can't do with a 2 speed or single speed and still get the in floor to do it's job) and that in floor will do a job unlike anything it can do at the higher psi. You'll also have less damage to your filter media and less issues with leaking seals and o-ring like the original post says. Too much pressure means too much expansion and contraction on rubber parts. While the IntelliFlo VS is not a good choice for the an in floor, the IntelliFlo VS speed pump is ideal as you can set the speed to what is optimum and it will remain there. Or, if you love Hayward or Jandy, go with their 6 or 8 speeds.

• trhought
    15 years ago

just a point of reference for anyone reading this post that is considering a pump upgrade to their existing floor system pool. As repair guy indicated, the Intelliflo VS or any other variable speed pump out there that has multiple speeds will work just fine to satisfy the periodic higher flows for the floor system (about 2 hours on average) and then the rest of the filter on time can be spent on low speed savings lots of money over a 1 speed pump. I think repair guy meant the Intelliflo VF is not a good choice for a floor system. I agree, and still struggle with the value of VF on any application. VF will increase speed and therefore system pressure to maintain a set gpm rate. This defeats the purpose of having a variable speed pump because this increases power consumption without the homeowner knowing it. All while a simple filter clean or fixing some other system problem goes undetected because the system continues to operate just fine even though there is a problem. There a probably applications out there where VF is ideal and I certainly would like to hear about them!

Another lower cost option for those wishing to upgrade their floor system pump is a 2 speed. This will satisfy the high flow needs of the floor system and the rest of the pump on time is in low speed savings lots of money over a 1 speed.

Personally, I have the exact combo that repair guy stated above, a Jandy 2HP 2 speed with a Jandy 460 cartridge. My filter pressure at high speed is 20 psi and the multiport valve pressure is 18 psi. This is accomplished with 2.5" piping and sweep 90's instead of hard 90's in the plumbing circuit. At low speed, the filter pressure is around 4 psi and the multiport valve still operates providing circulation and chlorination via SWG to the pool floor. This setup is working just fine and saves lots of money over a 1 speed pump setup.

Also, keep in mind, with the higher flows required for floor systems, the variable speed pump will not be as efficient as a 2 speed pump running at high speed for the floor cleaning cycle. This is due to the inverter on the variable speed pump and the impeller not tuned for the higher flows, resulting in lower efficiency at the higher speeds for the variable speed pumps.

Also, for those looking to upgrade to a more energy efficient system, Jandy has a new versa-plumb system available now that connects all the equipment above the ground with an engineered system that provides optimimum hydraulics. This takes all the guess work out of designing the plumbing for optimum efficiency. I wish this system was available when I built our pool.....it would have saved me a lot of homework and convincing the pool company why I needed the larger pipes and sweep 90's !!!

I do not work for Jandy, even though it may sound like it. I just have a passion for saving energy due to the industry I work in. When products come along with claims of saving energy, I do a lot of homework on these products to find out the technology behind their claims. In the case of the versa-plumb system....their claims are backed by solid hydraulic principles which will save money year over year with good plumbing design allowing the pump to work easier. I am not endorsing this product, but only point this out to those who want to either plumb their own system or offer a suggestion to their pool builder or plumber on the proper way to plumb a pool pump system for efficient operation.

Hope this helps!

• landa_mac
    15 years ago

I have heard that Jandy has laid off a large number of their engineers in recent months. I am told that they are increasingly relying on consultants for their designs. The trouble here is when all the tribal knowledge leaves, it can be very difficult to fix a problem. Then there can be problems with the consultants not understanding all of the design complexities required for pool & spa equipment.