SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
d_mat

Installing a water softener in condominium

d-mat
16 years ago

9/17/07 SU, 16:21EST

I have a question on water softener. We are considering purchasing a water softener to alleviate if not eliminate dry skin problem that my wife has been experiencing with hard water.

We live in a condominium. I am not a DIYer. But Ive been reading forum such as this as much as I can and trying to educate myself so that we can make the right decision on this purchase. I became extremely appreciative and grateful for the fact that so many people are so kindly taking time to respond to so many questions generated by folks like me.

We have so far asked two companies (And the third is coming this week of Sep 17, Â07) to come out to our condo and give us their opinions as to whether it is possible for a softener be installed in our particular circumstances, including their quote. We are concerned with our unique (or may be typical if one lives in a condo) circumstances with regard to installation. The condo has three levels, ours is located on the second level, and no one lives on the first (ground) level. Ground level is for car space upfront, and storage space in the back for resident. We gave both the exact same tour including the ground floor near our storage area where (common) water meter is located, and second floor where we live, taking them to a small laundry room where water heater is located. Both said that it would be best to have the softener installed near the water meter on the first floor for accurate reading. After investigating the situation in our small laundry room where water pipe is coming from the first floor, both came to the same conclusion that it is possible for the softener be installed on the second floor near the water heater. This is, we believe, important because we do not have to get a permission so long as we install softener in our own property- in our laundry room.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone had any experiences or heard someone with having a softener installed in condominium /town home setting as opposed to single home?

We felt confused when company "A" told us, "We can install one in your small laundry room, and the softener get your water softener both cold and hot. But company "B" told us, "We can install one in your laundry room, but with that setting we can only get your hot water softer. Not with cold water. In order to soften cold water as well, we need to install a softener on the ground level near the water meter. I suggest you contact your association for permission."

2) We are wondering, whether these differences in opinion might be coming from the different technology each offers or can anyone think of any other possible reasons?

Our preference is to install one in our laundry room so that we can avoid seeking permission from the notoriously intolerant/inflexible Condo Association. Although we have not asked, but I am almost certain that they would say no to our request of installing softener on the first floor on the ground that it is the "Common area", and it is not considered as anyoneÂs personal property".

I apologize for not being as thorough/specific as one might want me to, but I truly appreciate any response, feedback, things we should be doing going forward.

For your reference, here are actual names of the company I referred in my questions above:

Company A: EcoWater Offering ECR3000 or ERR3000

Company B: Culligan Offering Meddalist 30 w/ softminder, or Gold 9" w/Acua-Sensor

And the third one this week of Sep 17, Â07: Kinetico

Comments (3)