SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmnorse

Cabinets: Interior Quality vs Price Point

jmnorse
12 years ago

Hi!

I've been renovating my kitchen with some help from here for quite awhile now. I just received my cabinets last last week and wanted some opinions on what is acceptable for quality vs price on the cabinet interiors and if there are ways to clean up imperfections.

My cabinets are from an American semi-custom company that sells nationally. I ordered 7 wall cabinets, 8 base cabinets, and 2 tall cabinets, plus lots of trim and some panels for just under $13k using stained cherry wood and mostly furniture board boxes. I'm hesitant to give out the name of the company until after I've tried their customer service.

Their build time was great (10 working days from order to delivery) and the exterior (minus minor blemishes) is absolutely beautiful. However, among other things that I'm bringing up with them is the quality of the furniture board cutting and routing.

Quite a few of the interior joints look rough, many of the shelf sides look rough, and the banding on the shelf fronts for most cabinets has one side that is noticeably bad. When I say rough, I mean that the furniture board itself looks like a blade that was just past its usefulness was used. Additional, the veneer is very lightly chipped along the edge. The banding was maybe just wide enough for the shelf edges and wasn't completely situated correctly (also slight lips indicate that it wasn't trimmed well either).

Is this what other people in similar price points have experienced? When compared to my bookshelf that I bought from KMart 9 years ago, that has survived 6 moves thru rental properties, my new cabinet shelves look worse than the old bookshelf shelves! Is that common?
{{gwi:1732143}}From Shared
{{gwi:1732145}}From Shared

{{gwi:1732147}}From Shared

{{gwi:1732149}}From Shared

{{gwi:1732150}}From Shared

{{gwi:1732151}}From Shared

{{gwi:1732152}}From Shared

{{gwi:1732153}}From Shared

{{gwi:1732154}}From Shared

I look forward to hearing other people's experiences and feedback,

Thanks!

Justin

Comments (28)

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OMG.
    I'd send these photos to their customer service.
    For 13k?
    No, to me this is not acceptable.
    This is just plain crappy.

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Very rough, indeed.

I have cabinets in my basement, purchased as the cheapest, unpainted, chipboard cabinets a big box store ever sold, that look far superior to the above.

• Related Discussions

Kitchen cabinets: Kennebec vs. Crown Point vs. QCCI

Q

Comments (8)
    Renovate-CP is a good cabinet, in the ball park from what I can tell. I started an answer but deleted most of it. To hard to avoid a sales pitch which doesn't belong here. Biggest thing I see is the company ethos. The scale is just right. Lets just say I have a few miles on me and not easily impressed. Still, there are several good hi end makers out there and as I always say "who you work with is more important than any brand ". On my end that applies as well, need confidence in what I offer, especially at that level. Ultimately what makes you happy /comfortable/ suits...and who.
    ...See More

drawer interiors: inset cabinets vs face frame vs frameless

Q

Comments (2)
    I would imagine the biggest difference is in the depth (up & down) of drawers since frameless don't have the stiles across. On my bank of Brookhaven (frameless) four drawers, the top drawer is shallowest at about 3.5" deep. The next two drawers are about 4" and the bottom is about 9.5" deep. They are 19.75" front to back, and on a 23" wide custom cab, the width is about 19 7/8", so I suppose a regular 24" cab would be 20 7/8" on the inside. I really can't vouch for the accuracy of the top drawer depth, but on the three drawer bank, the depth of the bottom two drawers is 10.25". The sides and back do not go all the way up, but that hasn't been a problem. Full extension drawers are definitely worth having. We don't have soft close which I don't regret. But full extension means full use, and I wish that I had that feature on every single drawer in the house. What a difference!
    ...See More

Superior Woodcraft vs. Kountry Kraft Kitchens - Price & Quality?

Q

Comments (0)
    We live in Pennsylvania and want to support local cabinet makers. We want traditional inset cabinets. We have narrowed down our search to Superior Woodcraft and Kountry Kraft. Does anyone have any experience with either or both - especially about pricing and quality of the cabinets. Thank you!
    ...See More

New Cabinet Quality vs. Older Cabinets

Q

Comments (5)
    Wow, I sure wouldn't call a craftsman who can make a solid cabinet with strict tolerances "old fart". As more and more of these men die off, we're losing a lot of knowledge and quality craftsmanship. The market moved away from this because most likely the guys at the top could make more money easier and give the consumer a crappier product with less hassles on their end. In the end, kitchen cabinets end up being junk instead of something that a homeowner can be proud of. I know from re-ordering several "off" cabinets that most of what passes for "good" quality these days can't hold a candle to cabinets 40 years ago. It's a pretty bleak outlook for things to come, IMO.
    ...See More
  • ci_lantro
    12 years ago

You have more problems than just interior quality. I see structural issues.

I would box them up, send them back & demand a full refund.

And to charge $13K for that? Criminal.

• chris11895
    12 years ago

Ditto! Did you go through a local rep or were they ordered on-line? I'd reach out to your contact and make sure they see these pictures!

• sixtyohno
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry. This is terrible work. I spent $11,000 for 19 cabs and some panels. They are all wood and the insides are beautifully finished, just like good furniture.
    You need to return these cabs and get all your money back. I know this will prolong your reno, but it really has to be done. Think of how angry you will be every time you get a splinter! If you live with this you will be miserable.
    Laura

• poohpup
    12 years ago

You'll never be happy with those. You need to get your money back! I'm so sorry! Let them know you'll spread these pictures and their name all over the web if you don't get satisfaction. That is awful!

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Sorry, but I agree with the others. "Crap" was the word that sprung to mind... Hoping for the best for you.

• laxlady
    12 years ago

These are awful! I hope you can get your money back. I just completed a renovation and used Oxford Cabinet Shop. They are Amish and superb in quality, price and service. Their number is 717-529-0949 and they answer between 8 and 8:30AM Monday ,Wednesday and Friday. Worth every penny!

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

Sorry, but a ten-day turnaround should have been a dead giveaway. I wouldnt be suprised if the company is Merrillat, because they have a very short delivery time and they are considered builder grade. My contractor uses them a lot, but as soon as I heard 10 days I knew they wouldnt be high quality. My Dynasty cabinets took 6 weeks, and I have a small galley kitchen. I hope you can return them and get your $$ back...for $13,000 you should be able to get beautiful cabinets inside and out.

• kompy
    12 years ago

Not acceptable and I rarely say that on here. Most manufactured cabinets are made according to their cost and are what they are. That is NOT acceptable at ANY price point! I would hope that is not their typical output.... maybe some new employee messed up at 4:45pm on a Friday. I'm sure they will fix this for you!

If you don't post the manufacturer, send me a message of who this is and I will tell you if I've heard of them and if this is typical.

• jmnorse
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, lots of force and complete agreement behind the opinions here! The manufacturer and dealer are coming by tomorrow to take a look. There are a few other issues that need to be addressed in addition to what I posted. The non-shelf pictures show what I found only in a minority of cabinets. The shelves all look like the pictures though :(

My dealer has been very prompt and is extrememly upfront and honest in his comparison of cabinetry lines, so I have a lot of faith in his judgement as well. He feels that the cabinet company typically does good work. And like I said above, the exterior views are beautiful. I'm not going to post the mfg name until I also post some installed pics so you guys are biased by only seeing the bad parts...

Thanks!
    Justin

• jmnorse
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops, I meant "aren't biased by only seeing the bad parts..."

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

You've got class by not bad-mouthing the company until you know how it will be resolved. Sometimes things "just happen".

They do need to be replaced or your money back. Look forward to hearing the resolution - hope it is a good one.

• lannie59
    12 years ago

After looking at the interior pictures and edge detail of your cabinets this typical construction of lower end cabinets. I doubt that the seller or manufacturer can help except to refund your money. This is there process to produce cabinets fast and
    make money. Not sure if you overpaid for the amount of cabinets or underpaid to get the quality you expected. When purchasing cabinets you need to look at case construction, shelving material and adjustment, and face frame quality. If these cabinets were the same you saw on display then you chose them. If you didn't see the exact brand or style and were sold a like product then you got duped. Unfortunately all of us have purchased items that have not met our expectation when delivered. If the company comes back that this is how they are built I would seek a refund if possible. These look to be stock cabinets so hopefully any return will not cost you. Look twice at construction of cabinets before buying. Some stock cabinets are actually pretty good, but they usually come at a premium price.

• clg7067
    12 years ago

Wow! I've never seen cabinets that bad. I'm going to have to agree with everybody else.

• User
    12 years ago

A 10 day lead time for semi custom is a red flag in my book. I don't know of any quality line that has less than a 4-6 week waiting period. Some are 12 weeks are longer because of the demand and their not giving in to rushing a job. If they did that in 10 days, then they need to shut down the production line and retrain everyone in quality control. Then reopen and SLOW DOWN and do it right.

That's the kind of thing you find in the cheapest pre-fab Chinese cabinets. That is NOT a reputable semi custom line's work. I'd really be concerned about the beauty parts now. The wood and it's finish is harder to get right than are simple plywood boxes.

• KitchenExpert
    12 years ago

Looks like Yorktowne or Medallion

• Sharon kilber
    12 years ago

Hope you, paid with a credit card.

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

I don't know about Yorktowne, but I think Medallion is higher quality than this....

• jmnorse
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I met with their rep and my dealer yesterday. First, let me reiterate that I only showed the really bad parts in my pictures above and that the exteriors are very beautifully done.

I tend to be very realistic in how I view things. It seemed unlikely to me that one cabinet maker would have their standard production be lower than almost all others or that my order would somehow have been much lower quality than their standard. The rep helped me fill in the gap...

I gave a detailed critique of uninstalled cabinets that I'm installing myself. Apparently, most installers will get the cabinets and do some tricks to clean them up so that they look great. The rep shared some of those tricks with me and the majority of my issues with the interior went away. That said, there were some cabinets damaged during shipment that are being replaced, and quite a few shelves (such as those pictured) that are being replaced. The interiors now look and feel good. I'll post some before/after pics when I get a chance.

My big problem was posting preinstalled pics for you guys to compare to your installed cabinets. I should have asked installers to compare to what they normally receive. It's the whole comparing apples to oranges instead of apples to apples problem!

In the next week, I'll finish the trim over my pantry and get that pic up so that I can do some justice for the cabinet maker.

Justin

• drainbead
    12 years ago

The interior of my Medallion cabinets look NOTHING like what has been pictured here.

• AnnaA
    12 years ago

You are so gracious Justin, and it sounds like you are getting a resolution you can live with.

We're in the middle of installing semi custom made cabs. My GC and I crawled over every inch of each cabinet before install, and all of them were solid, except 1, damaged in shipment. Sent pics to the rep who immediately ordered a replacement. But none of them required him to refinish or reassemble. Yes, he's tweaked stuff here and there, but that's been due to peculiarities of my space.

Is your distributor willing to comp you for the marginal / rough assembly that some of your pics suggest?

Either way, it sounds like in the end you are at peace with it all and can work around the issue. Looking forward to your finished pictures.

• quirk
    12 years ago

I put Ikea cabinets in my last house. I not only installed them myself, I assembled them myself. They didn't look like that. And I don't know any "tricks" of cabinet installers to make them look better.

If you're happy with the resolution, that's fine. But apples to apples comparison to what I had, no, mine didn't look like that.

• kitchendiyer
    12 years ago

Justin, I'm glad that you are getting resolution with all of your cabinet problems! However, this makes me very nervous! We just ordered cabinets from Kabinart, an American RTA product also. I hope you didn't have all of these issues with their cabinets! I don't want any more surprises with this renovation!

• athomesewing
    12 years ago

Frankly I'm pissed just looking at those photos. But also because you are willing to let anyone else here fall prey to the same company who "sells nationally". To post those photos on this board, and to not identify the manufacturer who produced it is a disservice to members here and actually appears thereby that you condone such practices.

Part of the reason for utilitizing this forum is learn about products that frankly don't deserve the costs incurred to ship them.

You have certain legal rights, I would investigate them specifically before you do more to "alter" the items that you were sent, or to install them. No amount of lipstick is going to change them.

It is not "gracious" to tolerate being ripped off, nor is it "classy" to protect the criminals (in my opinion) who produce it.

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

Yes, cabinet installers usually have a few "tricks" to clean up glue blobs and scrapes, etc. What you posted goes well beyond that. In all my years selling cabinets of pretty much all price points, even the cheapest cabinet was never delivered looking like that. You are being far too forgiving here. And it's extremely rare that I would say that!

• jmnorse
    Original Author
    12 years ago

athomesewing,
    I haven't posted my layout or pictures of the exteriors, so I don't see how you can say it's criminal. If I got cabinets that would cost say $20k from a custom company, but was able to save $7.5k and get cabinets that look just as beautiful on the outside by going with this company, with the only tradeoff being some interior deficiencies that I've been able fix, how is that criminal? I'd much rather grab a drywall sanding block and spend an hour than spend $7.5k. I think it's a pretty good deal. And for reference, my layout for Kraftmaid at HD AFTER discounts and using maple instead of cherry wood was more expensive.

And again, what I'm posting about is the roughness of the cuts on the shelves and SOME joints between walls. The mfg rep looked at the shelves and agreed that quite a few should be replaced, no argument. I tried to explain at the top that the look of the wood and stain and quality of the door and face frame joints is excellent.

Hmm, I just realized that two of the pics include cabinets in the background. Yes, that cabinet had a serious problem in the gap from wall to face frame that was the result of shipping damage. The cabinet is being replaced. It is not represetative of their construction quality.

With his touchup advice, I have to look closely to see any residual problems. I have never stared at the inside joints on other peoples cabinets so I have no frame of comparison for how long I should stare at interior joints before judging quality... Please give me a chance post some before/after pics! I am going to, but I am working long hours right now and haven't yet had time!

Justin

• jmnorse
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, I had some free time today and went by HD and Lowes to look at Kraftmaid installed kitchens and the other MasterBrand lines. Since they're everywhere, I'll compare to them.

I would guess they have some of the same issues since some joints looked similar to my cabinets after I had cleaned them up. I would say that my cabinets showed it more and had more instances of it. But, once cleaned up, I don't really notice it until I look for it.

The shelves cleaned up decently well. I don't think I'll notice them now that they're cleaned up, but the Kraftmaid and co. lines had much cleaner shelf ends.

As for the cuts in the base bottom that I showed, I've only tried half of the rep's trick, so I can't say how that worked out. I have maybe 4 instances of it across all the cabinets. I really don't care for it, but hopefully it will clean up such that it's barely noticeable.

Again, it's all a tradeoff: price, wood family, door style, finish quality, durability, interior quality. I feel that in the end I traded off a bit on interior quality as compared to Kraftmaid such that I could to better on many of the others. I do wish it had been a little better, but I would not have wanted to spend any more than I did (budget) or traded off on finish and durability.

See the pantry pics at the end of this. My cabinets are Wellborn Forest. The doors are the Madison door style made of cherry. Finish is ginger with smoke highlights.

LWO, you had earlier suggested a simple raised door using a warmer finish than my floors. I hope I got it right. In any event, I LOVE the look!

Thank you all for looking this over. I know all of you had very different opinions of this than I. I suppose that's my engineer's mentality coming through. I don't believe in perfection and everything is a series of tradeoffs. I aimed here for the tradeoff that best suited my goals.

Before:
    {{gwi:1732155}}From Shared

After (the angle is a bit different as is visible in the grain pattern, but this is the same joint as above):
    {{gwi:1732156}}From Shared

Before:
    {{gwi:1732157}}From Shared

After (it doesn't jump out anymore, whereas before it did):
    {{gwi:1732158}}From Shared

Pantry:
    {{gwi:1732159}}From Shared

{{gwi:1732160}}From Shared

{{gwi:1732161}}From Shared

Justin