SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

What do you think of using Corian in the family room?

texasgal47
10 years ago

I'm designing a bookshelf system for the family room, to include a desk in the corner with wall cabinets above and cabinets on either side, using KraftMaid cabinets. This room is open to the kitchen so the cabinets are the same finish in both spaces, Biscotti with cocoa glaze. The two walls being used meet in a corner with one wall 103" long and the other, 72". The wall/desk system will cover the entire length along both walls. Base cabinets are 18"d and wall cabs, 12". So we're talking about quite a bit of counter top in the family room. The KD recommended using Corian in Ecru for the counter. It's a creamy solid colored matt surface that does look like a good color match to the cabinets. I'm wondering if this material will look too "kitcheny" in that room. The furniture in the room is Queen Anne style with walnut stained wood. Dekota Mahogany granite is used in the kitchen and for the fireplace surround in the FR. I want to keep the FR counters light as very dark black and copper grasscloth will be installed on the bookshelf cabinet back wall for 3 54" tall wall cabinets. Also, if walnut stained wood counters were used, the counter would need to be pieced for the 103" long counter which I don't like. I'm continually amazed at the excellent quality of help provided on this forum and would appreciate any assistance and feedback you can provide.

Comments (19)