SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshing

Anything wrong with this light- X post with lighting

marvelousmarvin
11 years ago

I posted this on the lighting forum, but somebody suggested I also post here and I need all the help I can get.

I have a rental that I'm in the process of updating, including getting a new dining room light. Its a rental for a nice area, and I think its important to get a good dining room light because its one of the first things you see when you walk in or when you peek into the window.

The problem is all this design stuff isn't in my wheelhouse so please help me in picking something out. (I never knew that there was anything wrong with the kitchen cabinets being painted a glossy black color).

Right now, this is the dining room light(its my understanding that it is considered dated because of the brass color but I don't know if the shape or style of the light is a problem too):

I know I need get something for awhile, but I've been hesitant to buy something in case I buy something that will also be a problem too.

So, what about something like this? Would this be a good choice for the dining room- something that will appeal to a lot of people, won't be dated soon, assuming its not already; etc..

I'm a bit concerned that the lamp shades are pointing down when I noticed that most lamp shades for other lights point up. I don't know if it means it should be a deal breaker or not? Is there any advantage if the lamp shades point up or down?

And, another concern I had was that since the dining room is next to the kitchen and they're connected together via that breakfast bar, does the finish for the lighting need to match the finish for the kitchen faucet and cabinet handles. (I also need to get a new faucet, and I think it'll be brushed nickel or steel optic).

Or, do I need to be concerned that the chrome finish for the lighting won't match the finish for the door knobs which are brushed nickel?

Finally, I couldn't use this same lighting fixture for the stair lights too, right? The stair light also needs to throw some light into the office. If I can't use the same light for the stairs, I'm looking for any suggestions for lighting that might work.

What are the styles or shapes or whatever for lighting that will makes it dated or not dated?

Comments (6)