SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vickevette

Choosing Countertops Honed Black Granite and Fingerprints

vickevette
12 years ago

In searching for the "right" countertop, calacatta marble is my dream, but not sure I'm up for the maintenance, and/or patina.

To bring in the marble as an element, I have been thinking of doing dark countertops, with the marble as a backsplash. The kitchen will have white perimeter cabinets with walnut island cabinetry, stainless appliances, and ebonized oak floors.

I looked at soapstone, but reading on this forum about the need to oil it, the danger of chipping, and so many people needing a refinish (who is Florida Joshua, anyway??--It surely sounds as if he's a busy guy, and not likely to make it to the Pacific Northwest where I live).

So I started thinking about using a honed black granite..until hearing several people remark about fingerprints driving them crazy on their honed Absolute Black.

So, my big question for those with honed dark granite--are fingerprints an issue on any honed dark granite, or is there something special about Absolute Black that makes fingerprints more of an issue?

Also, any opinions on which dark granite with Calacatta, and the mix of white and walnut on the cabinets. I am thinking maybe Antique Brown would be nice, but not sure if there would be fingerprint problems with this too. Maybe I need to check-out "leathered finishes," though those seem to me sort of earthy and organic, where this will be a more formal looking kitchen--thoughts?

Comments (6)