SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dfzmom

Please help with layout! Small space, lots of doorways

dfzmom
14 years ago

I'm hoping to get some layout ideas. Some background. This is our first house. Not our forever house but we plan to be here for a few years so resale is taken into consideration. Have a toddler and will be adding to the family in the next couple of years. We are hoping to completely overhaul the kitchen with a modest budget of $20-25k. Soffits will hopefully come out. As you can see it's stuck in the 70's.

Goals: Bigger prep area & more counter space. the kitchen doesn't function terribly but it could be better.

Would like to keep an eat in area in the kitchen. We entertain informally and not that often but would like to more often.

Have separate dining room which we rarely use. Would consider opening to dining room which would add another 11 1/2 feet in length but concerns are resale and cost. Don't want to do this unless it's a big improvement in the layout.

Windows and doors cannot be moved with the exception of the dining room opening. We just put in new windows (which I now regret). Should have waited but we were in a rush to get rid of the old windows. Would like sink under window to watch kids in the yard.

Corner is small drywalled pantry closet. Would consider removing that if it makes sense.

DonÂt need huge appliances. 30" cooktop or range ok and 36" fridge (would like to recess or counterdepth).

I'm including a current layout and a picture of the kitchen as it is now. I can't seem to come up with a layout I really love. Would love an island but the kitchen is too narrow. Have thought of losing the peninsula (could line up corner susan, dishwasher & sink along that wall) but scared to lose that counter space. I'm open to any creative ideas. Thanks so much!!

{{gwi:1731687}}

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz