Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

how I know our dogs are smarter'n we are

sylviatexas1
17 years ago

or at least smarter in different ways.

Here's one example.

An old client, maybe 95 pounds sopping wet, told me this:

"When I married Dave, I was apprehensive about his Rottweiler, Bear.

I worried that Bear wouldn't like me, maybe be jealous of me, maybe have me for a snack...

I knew that Rotties are suspicious of people who aren't members of their human "pack", & sometimes that dog just looked at me like I came from another planet.

Funny thing, one of the neighbors had a Toy Fox Terrier, Cricket, that *loved* Bear.

She'd scratch at the front door, & we'd let her in or let Bear out, & the dogs would play til Cricket's family called her home for supper.

So I knew he could be very gentle.

One night, Dave was working late, & Bear & I were watching tv.

I fell asleep in the recliner & awakened to a suffocating weight, pinning me down.

Bear was lying across me, vertically, with his head right above mine, his teeth nearly at my face, & *I could not move*.

I was petrified.

Just then, I heard a scratching sound at the front door.

Why, oh why, hadn't that dog come to the door 5 minutes ago???

Then Bear growled, a low, eerie growl.

& the doorknob turned.

(The deadbolt was locked, but not the lock on the doorknob.)

Barking, no, almost roaring, Bear leapt down & hit that door with his full weight in one jump.

& I heard someone running away.

I guess that whoever it was, undoubtedly someone in the neighborhood who knew Bear & Cricket's routine & who knew that Dave's car wasn't in the drive, had 'scratched' before, & I didn't hear it because I was asleep.

Bear did hear it, & he knew it wasn't Cricket.

He knew somebody was out there, & he lay across me *to keep me from opening the door*."

(funny postscript: I asked her, 'What did you do when he *growled*?'

She said, "I closed my eyes, said a little prayer, & turned my chin toward the ceiling so at least it'd all be over quick.")

How do *you* know our dogs are smarter'n we are?

Comments (5)