SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hsw_sc

Beginning the Kitchen Reno Journey

hsw_sc
10 years ago

After a crazy, stress-filled year and a half my husband and I have sold both of our houses in our old town, moved to a new home in another state (phew!), and are ready to reno!

I have only just started interviewing tradespeople and getting quotes. One of them has drawn up some plans (that I'm loving) and given me some ideas that I thought I might ask the experts here about. For the sake of not getting sued, I will not post layouts yet (except for maybe a rudimentary drawing or two that I did on graph paper). I'm really just wondering what ideas are practical aesthetically and for the money.

Our kitchen is 16x20.5' with 10' high. ceilings. We currently have an electric cooktop, but will be installing a propane tank (very common here) so that we may have a gas stove-top, tankless water heaters, and outdoor grill. We are knocking out a pony wall, making the island longer, and...?

There are a few things that I have questions about (in no particular order of importance):

1. I'd like to move the sink to the island. Who has this setup and do you LOVE it? I will be keeping my prep sink-setup in the Butler's pantry, so I'm not concerned about that really. Or should I be?

2. Splurge-type question: Is a Servo (or is it Serve-Pro?) open/close for a trash pull-out a must have? I have only ever had toe-touch-to-open, non-pullout type trash cans, so I'm not sure if this is just silly or if it's a "get this now, you won't regret it" awesome.

3. This has been asked again and again, but what to do with the tops of the cabinets? I know that the general consensus is to bring them to the ceiling, but A. I'm 5'6", not 6' 10", B. I don't think that I'm ready for a Library Ladder yet (though they are totally awesome), and C. I just don't think that they are in my budget.

So GardenWebbers, what say you? Have a look at the current kitchen and spend my money for me:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!