SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mc_hudd

Antifreeze poisoning ?'s

mc_hudd
15 years ago

Hi. I have a friend/co-worker that has been taking her poor cat back & forth to the vet for the last week. They can't seem to figure out what's wrong w/ the cat. The only thing she knows is that he chewed on a plant she has... She thinks it's a variation of a Wandering Jew. The vet has told her it's not from the plant. They have done countless blood tests & still know nothing.

I was talking to her this morning about her cat & she said over the weekend he vomited green stuff, so they rushed him to the emergency vet. The vet again, didn't know what was wrong. When she got the cat back home, he ate a little bit, which he hadn't done for about 5 days. She says he's now eating in tiny amounts from time to time & the only time (since Sat.) that he's vomited is when she gives him the antibiotics he was prescribed.

I'm wondering about antifreeze poisoning, but everything I've read says the animal will be dead w/in a week (if not caught soon). Today is 8 days that this cat has been sick. What would happen if this cat were to have only had a lick of AF? Would that just prolong the symptoms & the inevitable? Or could a cat survive w/ only a lick of AF?

She did say that the cat was in their garage (always inside or in the garage, never outside) and that there was a different truck parked in there, but she was unaware of any leaks & none can be found when inspecting the truck.

She is completely dumbfounded (as am I) as to what can be wrong w/ this cat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mc_Hudd

PS~ The only other symptoms the cat is having is lethargy (AF poisoning symptom) & for the first few days wouldn't eat or drink.

Comments (13)