SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
belly_flop

Belly Flop's Pool and Spa

Belly_Flop
19 years ago

Since nobody has yet posted to this gallery, let me be the first! We're located in Temecula, California. Thanks for looking!

Comments (71)

• cantwait
    19 years ago

Hi Belly Flop. Quick question. Did you have any problems working with California Pools & Spas? I hired them to do my pool also but no progress has been made since the rains started. I understand that its hard to work when the dirt is wet but my neighbors pool guy is there everyday it doesn't rain.

Your pool is amazing!!!

• Belly_Flop
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi cantwait, your nickname says it all!!

I had no problems whatsoever with California Pool & Spa. Now granted, I had no weather issues to deal with at all and my pool still took about two weeks longer to complete than was originally estimated. As time passes, this becomes less of an issue. My experience has been that although they may move a little slower than some other companies, their subconractors are top notch and the end result... well. You can see for yourself! Maybe the guy next door has his own in-house crew.

If it's any consolation, the crummy weather means it's also crummy swimming. So you're not missing a thing. Yet.

When did you sign your contract?

• Related Discussions

The Original - Everyones pool pictures~~PLEASE~~

Q

Comments (12)
    Here's our 40 year old pool remodeled with Black Pearl PebbleTech with shells. The deck repairs are still not finished but they are finally working on it. Stuart & Lois Here is a link that might be useful: More Pictures
    ...See More

The Reid's Pool Build 2006-2007

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks for the comments! We owe a bunch of the ideas to the members of this forum! The Brick structure you see was built by the original owner. He was a brick mason and fairly talented. He also did all the ornamental brick on the front of our home, we have a giant archway entry, herringbone under the windows and on the front of the house chimney. He designed it to be a small built-in bbq. He cobbled together some very odd grill parts and connected it to the house propane lines. The steel burner assembly has since rusted and was red tagged by the gas company prior to our purchase of the home. We are going to replace the burner assembly with a stainless fire ring and turn it into a small outdoor fireplace. Our bbq is part of the outdoor kitchen under the cover section of the patio. The cage is one of the largest in our county. Due to size the structure required site specific engineering - which basically means the screen company was not allowed to use any of the "stock" or "book" construction methods. Everything down to the thickness of the material and fastner spacings are called out on the engineered drawings. The cage is designed to withstand 140 MPH wind loads. The extra bracing in the Mansard section of the roof is to resist "racking" during high windloads. Racking when the roof of a structure begins to twist relative to the base. There are other "heavy duty" features required for this load condition - post back if you're interested in the details, DH is an Electrical Engineer and loves to discuss the details! We are moving into our outdoor entertainment room this weekend so we'll post some more pictures by Monday. Ryan and Diana Cocoa, FL
    ...See More

Storage of pool items?

Q

Comments (2)
    We built our vacation/maybe retirement home 2 yrs ago and just put in the pool. Our main home also has a pool. How much pool equipment and chemicals you need will depend on several factors. Also where in the country are you? 1. Salt or chlorine pool? Chlorine requires you have a big bucket of chlorine tablets at all times. Salt takes bags of salt but not as often in our experience. 2. Heater or no heater? They tend to be big. 3. Spa or no spa, does spa have it's own pump? 4. Booster pump for pool cleaner or will you just use the skimmer? 5. Pumps for swim jets or none? 6. Trees in the yard or not? Trees mean leaves which means more cleaning. Unless they are palms, of course. 7. Is it cold where you live to the point you have to winterize? 6. Since this house is not built I would suggest leaving space on the side of the house closest to where the pool will be for the equipement. If this is the side with a wall to the garage you can have a door put in from the garage to the side? We use a large patio box to store the vac equipment and floaties. We also have a stand that holds long floaties. Hope this helps.
    ...See More

Pool Build in Dallas Area � Comments & Suggestions Requested

Q

Comments (27)
    I believe every riverbend sandler pool in dfw is made that way regardless of yard space. I asked the pool builder and he gave me a reason but unfortunately it's all Greek to me. It did worry me, but they build so many pools for so many years, you'd think there would be a big outcry or it wouldnt pass inspection if it was bad. If you search for riverbend on the forum you can find a ton of pics of their pools built this way. Not saying it's right or wrong, it's just how they do it. I'm trusting them.....hope I don't regret it in 10 years.
    ...See More
  • cantwait
    19 years ago

We signed our contract on 11-5-04 and our plans were approved by the city on 12-27-04. When we signed our contract, we were told that digging would start immediately after the plans were approved. Well, they didn't start diggin until 1-21-05. After the dig, two weeks went by before they came in and did the rebar and plumbing. Thats when we got hit with all the rain.

My neighbors pool was exactly at the same stage as ours before the rain. The difference though was that when it started raining, their pool company threw a pump in to get rid of the rainwater. Ours didn't. So after a week of rain, my pool was about 70% filled with rainwater. We just recently got the water pumped out but I guess it was a little too late. Our soil is really saturated with water and will take longer to dry. Plus, the side walls of the pool started caving in so now that has to be fixed before anything else. Our neighbors pool never had a lot of water in it so when it eventually stopped raining, the pool crew was there the very next day working.

The worst part is that now they say because of the rain, they will not finish in the time promised. That really got me upset though because if they started when they said they would, we wouldn't have a problem with the saturated soil or the walls caving in. We would already be past the gunite stage.

The only way I'm staying sane through all this is the hopes that when it is finally done, it will look as awesome as your pool does.

• Belly_Flop
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, all I can really say is that yes, there was lag time between phases, and like you, I was frustrated to a point, but I was told to expect this, and so I wasn't stressing about it. And this was with blue skies and no rain, not the deluge we've had making this what? The third rainiest season since historical records have been kept?

Again, I know that it's probably no consolation to you, but the gent who designed my pool over there has been building a pool for himself, and I can't even begin to tell you how long he's been waiting, and hiswalls caved from the rain, too. He's last for everything, since the customers come first.

Personally, I think you have to be reasonable in accepting that because of the rain, your pool is not going to be completed when they thought it would be. Especially since the rainfall we've had is VERY significant. Especially since they want to be 100% certain along each step of the way that the pool you wind up with is going to be structurally viable. They don't want to have to come back and build you another one if five years because they rushed things along to meet a deadline. Have you discussed any of this with them? Especially the part about how your neighbor isn't experiencing the same kinds of difficulties? I would. Jeez, as I'm writing this, it's pouring so loud outside I can hear it -- and I'm in a room with no windows at present!! I feel for you, I really do.

• cantwait
    19 years ago

Yeah, that's what my wife keeps telling me. I guess I'm just really excited and want the pool to be finished now. Thanks Belly Flop.

• vpd284
    19 years ago

What color pebble-tec did you use? The blue color in one of your photos is awesome. California pool and spa in Ventura County is building my pool, gunite is next week!!!

• Belly_Flop
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, specifically, it is NOT Pebble Tec, which is a brand name, but a comparable product called Pebblecoat. The color is called Black Pearl. Depending on the lighting, sky conditions and angle, kinda looks like deepwater ocean, doesn't it? Hard to believe when you contemplate that the deepest part in the center is less than six feet!

• rocky_CA
    18 years ago

Belly Flop, I really love your pool. I am a new member but have been reading the entries for a while. My pool has had gunite and we are getting coping next week. I had my mind made up on Tahoe Blue pebble until I saw your photos. I might be copying your color scheme. I went and picked up a sample of the Verona Tan ( I think that is the tile you have) and I love it. My worry is that the pool will be too dark. Does your pool always look black or are there some hints of blue in it? Does the dark bottom help to keep the pool warmer? I am so confused now. Anyone have any good Tahoe blue photos? I need to make up my mind. It is driving me crazy.

Thanks

• Belly_Flop
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well Rocky, I've got to tell you... With a black pearl finish, the variations you get in the color of the water are almost endless. None of the pictures of my water in this gallery have been enhanced, yet many of them look completely different, including the one below! Sometimes the water looks like deep ocean blue, other times it looks like water in the bahamas with more of a coke bottle green hue to it. Sometimes it looks more like the real Lake Tahoe to me. It all depends on the reflections, time of day, weather, etc.

So how is that for adding to your confusion? And yes, a darker finish will absorb and retain more heat, but probably only marginally so, so don't let that be your deciding factor. Direct sun on the pool looks totally different then when its in the shade.

• heycraig
    18 years ago

I agree, the Tahoe Blue that all the companies call Tahoe Blue doesn't do the name justice. Belly's pool looks like a "real" Tahoe Blue. As far as the dark bottom pool being warmer, I am told that the sun does not penetrate 3 feet of water to even make it to the bottom of the pool. It may make it around the surface edge but I doubt you would be able to tell the difference in temp.

• rocky_CA
    18 years ago

Thanks Belly Flop and Heycraig. You're right. The last picture did add to my confusion. It is beautiful. I showed the photo to my family, and I think we have all agreed that is the color we want. Thank you so much. I should just stop looking at pictures now so I don't change my mind again, but this site is addicting. I love all the pictures and information. I've learned a lot about things I didn't even think about.

• angs_pool
    18 years ago

BEAUTIFUL, JUST BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!
    Angie

• Belly_Flop
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Rocky, just curious. What did you end up choosing for your pebble finish. Thanks, Angie! :-)

• rocky_CA
    18 years ago

Angie,

I decided on quartzite coping, verona tan tile and black hills gold gemstone, another brand like pebble, (I think. still time to change my mind AGAIN) The coping and tile are in. We are getting the decking this week and then it's time for the gemstone. I really love Belly Flop's pool. I just hope mine looks half as pretty. Thanks for the interest!

• rocky_CA
    18 years ago

Belly Flop,

My gemstone is scheduled to go in next week. We ordered the black hills gold. I'll send a picture when it's done. I love the Verona Tan tile. I'm glad I saw it on your pool. I never would have thought of it otherwise. Now I'm going back to your pictures to try and get some landscaping ideas. I love the plants around your pool. We live in San Marcos, which is close to you. What is the temp in your pool now and when do you think it will be warm enough to swim? I'm sure my kids will jump in as soon as they are allowed to go in, but I like it over 80. I'm sure I will have to use the heater if I want to go in anytime soon. Thanks for the info

Shelly

• Belly_Flop
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Shelly, thanks for the kind words. I'm very glad that you like the tile and I think you'll be pleased with the interior finish also, although I am unfamiliar with gemstone. Is it just another Pebble Tec knock-off like my Pebblecoat is? Or something altogether different? May I also suggest that you make sure your builder installs black fittings for the returns, drain covers, spa jets, etc? And if you're getting a Hayward Navigator as part of your deal, request a black one of those as well. It really makes a difference in a dark bottomed pool!! I feel like I should be including a picture or two in my posts, since after all, this is an image gallery!

As for my water temp, er, I've been cheating (as in, using the heater occasionally to warm it up to 85). Without the heater, the temp has been stabilizing at around 72 or 73 degrees. But fear not, I predict that by the time your pool is ready for swimming, our usual high pressure pattern will re-emerge and your water will zoom up to 80 degrees or better without that heater of yours. Hope I'm right!

• rocky_CA
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the information, Belly Flop. I made a note for my husband to tell the pool guy about the black fittings. We are also making the decision on our pool cleaner today, and we didn't even think about a black one. That's a great idea. Thanks again

And the pictures are beautiful as always.

Shelly

• SDHeritage
    18 years ago

Question, is your water fall a pre fab or was it built with real rock? I love it and am looking to do something like this.

• Belly_Flop
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The waterfall (and all other rock work) is natural, created from "Cresta" boulders. It was pretty incredible watching them lever each boulder into place. I was amazed at how perfectly the waterfall builder predicted the path of the falling water as he placed the rocks.

• rocky_CA
    18 years ago

Belly Flop,

I got my black hills gold gemstone (pebbletec knockoff) and started filling today. Since I made a lot of my decisions based on your pool, I thought I would send a couple photos. I used the same tile as you. We get our landscaping next week and the yard is still a mess, but I am just excited to be getting water in the pool. Thanks for your pictures and hints. Notice the bench seat/baja step in the deep end. We hit rock around 4 feet down and after 10 days and $10,000 of getting rid of most of it, one huge stubborn rock remained. So we made a baja step over it. I guess it's original anyway. I will keep watching the site for more valuable info.

Shelly

• Belly_Flop
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Shelly,

Wow! Your yard, pool and views are equally spectacular! Nice going on the bolder cover-up. Be sure and start a new thread with more pictures when your water is all in! Don't be alarmed if the water doesn't look like you hoped until it's been filtered for two or three days. It'll be a bit murky for awhile. Did you wind up getting black drain covers, returns fittings and pool cleaner?

• mitchcarnie
    18 years ago

Belly,

I really like your pool and the color especially. It almost looks like somethng from an alien world at night with the colored lights. It must be addicting to sit outside in all types of weather and temperature kick back with a beer and just look at the pool at night. Eye Candy.

What color is it again? I'm going with pebblesheen I think and have narrowed it down to between Black Onyx and Aqua Blue. Which is most like yours? I've heard the dark color doesn't show up with the lights, but your pool shows up fine with colored lights. We are getting 3 Hayward Colorlogic lights. If I can't get the look you have I might just go with your identical color. What color is it and who makes it?

Thanks,

Mitch

• joneshome
    18 years ago

Well, I had to laugh this morning! We are in the midst of deciding which color of Pebble Sheen to get in our pool. Last night I sat around my computer with my family looking at the different pictures on theGardenWeb. When we saw yours in the discussion board everyone loved the color and my youngest said he has seen the pool (or the area). My husband laughed! If he only knew how far the internet can take you! It wasn't until this morning when I saw this discussion board, you live 10 miles away from us! And both of our kids have tons of friends in your area! I believe my co-worker that I car pool with lives just down the road from you! Small little internet!

Back to the pool issuesÂ.We are going with Red Mountain Quartzite and want a tropical color in the pool. Would you recommend the Black Pearl? Looking at the pictures I only saw the one that has the deep blue color. If you described the color what would you say it is? Would you recommend the masonry guy? I am sure you are familiar with our builder. We went with Custom Pools and Masonry. We are thinking about doing a lot of stone work and our contractor thinks we may get a better deal on the stone work outside of his business. Shoot me an e-mail and I will give you my contact phone to discuss this in a little bit more detail.

Once again our family loved your pool. We have a very similar view of the valley (coming from the Bear Creek direction) and can only hope ours turns out half as nice! Hopefully we will talk soon!

Barb

• Belly_Flop
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mitch, sorry for the tardy reply. Black Pearl Pebblecoat by Kerber Bros. is what I have. Good luck with your decision. I know it's a tough one to make!

Barb, you need to really look at all the pictures above to see my pool under pretty much all lighting conditions. The color varies quite a bit, depending on sky conditions, reflections, etc.

I'm afraid I am not familiar with your builder, but that doesn't mean anything. My masonry guy is Steve Barton. He does a ton of work in this area and has an excellent reputation. I'm very pleased with the work he did for us.

• kbkb
    18 years ago

just another comment ... I can see Shelly's pics, but not Belly Flop's. I'm using Interneet Explorer, but I tried Netscape too. hmmm...

• cabogirl
    18 years ago

I would assume the reason you can't see Belly Flop's pictures is because he has taken them "down" (not stored on the internet). And, it is an awesome pool and bbq AND firepit - the whole setup....hopefully, he'll put some more up.

• cabogirl
    18 years ago

I see they are back up - hooray - I never tire of looking at your pool and yard - beautiful.

• Belly_Flop
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here are the final set of pictures I'll be posting. Sorry that they weren't showing up for awhile. These highlight some detail of the fall plantings which are starting to mature a little. Enjoy.

• soggy6
    18 years ago

Belly,

How close is your closest birch tree to the pool? Any worries?

Janna

• Belly_Flop
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Janna,

Looks to be about 4' from the gunite. My landscaper said it shouldn't be a problem, and the pool builder isn't concerned about the roots, either. As for the leaves, yes, I'll get some in the water in the late fall, but the prevailing wind sort of comes down between the houses and will blast most of the falling leaves away from the water. I decided I was willing to pay the annual maintenance price for the beauty of the tree that I enjoy so much, so a couple of weeks of additional leaves in the skimmer basket seemed a reasonable trade to me. I get more flower petals in the water than anything else, which my wife finds somewhat "romantic". Hey, whatever works!

• angisimpsondotcom
    18 years ago

Belly......those nite time photos actually made me DROOL on my keyboard...auhmazing. truly beautiful that view *siiiighhh* all I can say is I wish you were MY neighbor and I'd make you the best chocolate filled croissants EVER so you'd let me come play in your pool!! ;)

• willweeverbedone
    18 years ago

Very nice, Belly. I hadn't come back to this post in some time and now here are the beautiful final pictures. Stunning.

Ralph

• Jeff703
    18 years ago

Belly

I have been looking at your pictures and your pool looks great. I like the color of the interior. I noticed that it looks like you have "bubbles" coming up from the bottom of the pool near the water fall. Is that the case?

-Jeff

• mitchcarnie
    18 years ago

Belly

What brand name lights do you have? Do they all synch up with the same coor with your controler? what kind of controler do you have?

• joneshome
    18 years ago

Now that we are starting our landscaping, we are trying to find trees that will grow in our area. Is that a ficus just to the left of the waterfall?

• Belly_Flop
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry for the late reply. I was on vacation last week and just got back into town.

Jeff: Yes, there is a bubble grid on the floor of the pool, set into the pebble, a few feet in front of the waterfall. This is a feature that California Pools & Spas calls their "volcano".

Mitchcarnie, I just have plain 'ol standard Pentair lights with color filters that just pop on and off. I have the Jandy controller. I don't think I have enough lighting fixtures in the main pool to go the fancy colored light route.

Joneshome, no that is not a ficus (whose roots can be invasive and are generally frowned upon this close to a pool). It is either the white birch tree or the camphor tree that you are talking about, but that is to the left of the pool, not just the waterfall. Camphor is an excellent choice if you like the look of ficus as I do. It is an evergreen and hardier to frost than a ficus is.

• padrefan
    18 years ago

Well, this one needs to be bumped before it drops off. We miss you Belly!

• anthemguy
    18 years ago

Kick. Still my ultimate pool here. Does this not look like an exclusive resort?

• Belly_Flop
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You are too kind. Thank you. I haven't been back here for a long time. I was pretty surprised to still see my pics posted here.

• jlaughrey
    18 years ago

Hey Belly, Love your pool, it really turned out nice!! Wondering if you could tell me what a volcano in floor bubbler is? Also do you have pics of all the construction work from start to finish? Thanks Jeff

• Belly_Flop
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Volcano is the name that California Pools and Spas have trademarked for this feature. Basically, it's a square grid that is plumbed in with a connection to an air blower with the equipment. Each length of the grid has small holes drilled through the top to allow the air to be forced out when the blower is turned on, churning up the water with bubbles -- a sort of underwater volcano effect,guess. I do have pics from start to finish, but lack the time to post them all here. However, here are two new pictures that I hope some will find interesting. It's nice to see the landscape filling in after a couple of spring seasons. Compare these photos with the ones at the top and you'll see what mean. The "volcano" is turned on in the picture below.

• jlaughrey
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info!! Landscape filled in really nice!!!

• bud4598
    17 years ago

Belly Flop,
    That is a great pool..Got to be the best I have seen. Quick question if you don't mind. On your volcano you said it was plumbed into the pebble tec. Is that correct? No plumbing in the pool construction (shell). I live in Nevada and nobody out here has anything like that. I am very interested.

• aqua_man
    17 years ago

Incredible backyard. Do you have any other pics of your Camphor tree. I've been looking for a tree for my backyard and I think this might be the tree :-)

• Belly_Flop
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bud4598, sorry for the tardy reply, I don't hang out here as much as I used to. I actually had to refer to some photos to answer your question because I had forgotten that detail. Yes, you are correct. There were pipe stubs that came through the gunite for the airflow, but the actual air grid is laid in after the gunite but before the pebble application. Aqua Man, I greatly enjoyed your comic books growing up in the 1960's. I read lots of Superman and Justice League comics, too. My brother had a fantastic collection. I don't think I have any other specific pictures of just the camphor tree, but so far I like it a lot. I also love the white birches back there. They're a little messy in the fall, but only for a couple of weeks and they haven't been that big of a deal. Cheers.

Jeff

• Belly_Flop
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hey Bud,

I found some pictures that I thought you might find helpful. They show the volcano in three important steps of construction. Picture 1 shows the pipe stubs coming out of the gunite. Picture 2 shows the grid attached to the cut off stubs, and picture three shows the grid just after the pebble was applied.

• jenmwalk
    17 years ago

Belly -

What are the dimensions of your pool and what is the decking finish?

Thanks,
    Jennifer

• Belly_Flop
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Jennifer,

36' x 17', if I recall correctly. Maybe 37' x 16'. The deck is concrete with a sand finish. This can be achieved through acid washing the concrete, but I had mine sandblasted.

• MSdiva4life
    11 years ago

This addictive. I too am starting my pool process and I am so happy that I found your pictures. Just like Shelly, I am using Gemstone which is a pebble tec type product. I am fighting my hubby because I want the black hills and he does not ...Guess who is going to win.