SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wendypool

New Plaster Gone Wrong - HELP!

wendypool
10 years ago

I'm in Southern California and had my pool replastered with white plaster. After a couple of days I began noticing gray mottling and streaks in the plaster. I called my plaster contractor and both he and his plasterer came out and tested the water several times. The water was always fine. Now, six months later, the entire pool is mottled with some almost black areas and a lot of streaking.

Both my contractor and plasterer agree that something went wrong, however blamed bad plaster or inbalanced water as the problem. However, the plasterer agreed to replaster the pool.

So, I have a few questions:

First, the pool plasterer wants to me sign something before he does the new plaster basically saying if it happens again, he's not responsible. But, aren't I, a customer of a licensed contractor, entitled to a completed job that is free from defects, whether it be materials or workmanship? Is my problem most likely caused from material defects or workmanship issues?

Second, obviously I have some concern about having the same plasterer do the work since he couldn't get it right the first time. Does anyone have any ideas for what caused the problem? And, are there questions I can ask to make sure it gets done properly the second time?

Third, the plasterer recommended possibly using a Pebbletec product like a Pebblefina rather than just the white plaster because these are known to have less discoloring issues and will last longer. Is this true? Has anyone had a good or bad experience with the Pebblefina Bella Blue?

Thank you all. I look forward to your insight and advice!

Comment