SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ninapearl_gw

incontinence or just lazy?

Ninapearl
14 years ago

it's gonna be hard to keep this brief but i'll try.

3 year old, spayed, female great dane. she began leaving puddles in the house, usually on my bed or on the sofa. this isn't just small leaks, it's puddles, soaking puddles. began about 2 weeks ago.

took urine sample to vet. UTI...12 days clavamox. day 9, still leaving puddles.

the strange thing is, these puddles have absolutely NO odor and NO stain. i blot them with a white paper towel and it's like i'm blotting up water. it isn't drool, it is definitely urine. it always happens at the opposite end of her mouth. ;)

if this was due to the UTI, i would think i would have seen improvement after the first 3 or 4 days.

my vet put her on proin this week. but now, i'm beginning to wonder...she drinks a LOT of water while i'm doing horse chores because she spends 45 minutes flying up and down the fence, playing with the horses. i am finding these puddles usually between 7 and 8 p.m. she is dry all day and all night.

for the last 2 nights, i have made her go outside to pee at about 6:30 and again at about 8-8:30. no puddles. she's only taken the proin for 2 days. it's too soon to know if it is just the fact that she's drinking more and having to pee more but i wanted to post this to get some thoughts from you all.

what i can't figure out is the fact that there is no odor and no color to her urine when i find these puddles in the house. now, when she pees in the gravel outside, i SEE yellow. what's up with that??

what are your thoughts about discontinuing the proin, making her go outside between 6:30 and 8ish p.m. and seeing if that solves the problem?

i hope this made sense!

Comments (10)