SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matt_r_gw

Shower/Tub Valve Body questions

matt_r
16 years ago

I was considering ordering a Moen shower/tub valve and trims.

After reviewing some on line companies to order from (ie. faucetdepot.com), you can get the valve bodies with several options:

1) Valve stops

2) IPS threaded connections

3) Copper sweat fittings

Do you really need valve stops? What purpose do these serve? I have adequate valves in my house to shut off the shower. Do these valves go bad regardless? I could just imagine trying to use these after sitting without operation for 10 years. Any experience with these?

If I am using 1/2" copper lines to the valve body, should I go with the IPS threaded connections? Or just sweat in the supply pipe to the valve body. Someone said I should thread in copper male fittings to the valve body, and then sweat the pipe into the installed fittings. They said if you screw up the sweat in the valve it is hard to remedy and clean out for a re-sweat. Is this true? I worry about leaking threads. And if I do use the threading fittings and use Rector Seal, does the heat from sweating ruin the seal.

What is the preferred practice. I know at Home Depot, it seems all the valves have threaded connections.

Comments (11)