SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

I need an explanation for Wolfy's bizarre behavior

alisande
15 years ago

It feels like my dogs are conspiring to give me sleep deprivation. Angel's been waking me up with barking for many months, and now Wolfy rummages around in the pantry every night.

He starts as soon as I go to bed. The pantry is a small room off the kitchen. It has no door. The first time he did this, he got stuck on the shelf of my pantry cart. He's a big dog (Husky-Shepherd), and very arthritic, and I had quite a time freeing him. Another time he was stuck in a corner, unable to get his feet under him. But mostly he just bangs around in there, making enough noise to keep me awake.

I don't think he's going after a mouse or other animal. For one thing, the cats show no interest in the pantry; for another, Wolfy himself shows no interest in it......until I go to bed.

The time he got stuck on the cart shelf I found a bag of whole wheat flour that had been torn open. I never heard of a dog eating flour, but I wondered if getting into the flour had been his mission. Since then I haven't noticed any food items disturbed, but he's been knocking other things to the floor--paper plates, cookware, etc.

I have some gardening stuff in the pantry, and this morning I noticed a box of bone meal on the floor, stepped on and spilled. Would a dog want to eat bone meal? Could it be that he's in the pantry cruising for things to eat? This is a dog who gets fed late at night (when I come home from work), so you wouldn't think he'd be hungry an hour or so later. And he's never been all that ravenous an eater. But now he's 14, and getting......eccentric?

I'd appreciate your thoughts. I need sleep!

Susan

Comments (17)