SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luclin999

Granite question -To seal or not to seal..

luclin999
15 years ago

We are going out tomorrow to pick out our slabs and I'm having trouble finding out more information on the granite we have settled on.

The name of the granite is Labrador Black Gold and is basically a black slab with small to moderate sized flecks of gold colored pieces in the stone.

I understand that not all granites are in fact "granite" and as such not all of them need to be sealed but I can't seem to get a straight answer locally as to exactly what the Labrador Black Gold is.

Anyone here familiar with the stone?

Comments (36)

• pcjs
    15 years ago

Understand what sealing means as I almost said no to granite because of it - sealing is a SPRAY that you spray on, wipe off to make the water bead - when the water on your granite stops beading you reapply. We have sealed once, probably should do it again, but its fine and we have a soft granite that we were told, except by a few who sold it to us, that we'd have to be careful. Don't run if the only issue is sealing... no different really than Windex/409 but to clear your counters and let them sit for a while depending on the sealer. Get what you like.

• luclin999
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, I have no intention of running from granite.

This particular stone is my absolute choice for the kitchen. What I need to know is if the specific stone that I have chosen, "Labrador Black Gold" is an actual granite and if it in fact will need to be sealed.

I've been getting conflicting information locally as to exactly what it is and if it really needs a sealer and am hoping to find out more from someone here who may already have experience with this stone.

• Related Discussions

sealing granite tiles. How to question here.

Q

Comments (1)
    Usually the most expensive sealer is the best. Always buy a product from a specialty store, not a home center. Source: Cicliot.
    ...See More

Tropical Brown Granite--Seal/No Seal?

Q

Comments (2)
    I would love to hear answers to this as I also have tropical brown in my kitchen. When it was installed, the installer did apply "Stonetech Sealer" to it and left me the rest of the jar. He said it would probably need it once a year. But when I was shopping around for granite another supplier told me that TB wouldn't need to be sealed. Very confusing.
    ...See More

Question re sealing granite

Q

Comments (22)
    If it is OK to jump in on this conversation: most folks in my area love granite and many say they never seal it after installed. Light colored granite is a different story, is that correct? My fabricator does sell Granite Guard with Lifetime Warranty for about $300. My online reading has told me it's not worth it. 1. What are thoughts about this Granite Guard product and its warranty? 2. What kind of babying will a light stone (White Romano) need? I've been told by fabricators, maybe 1x/year to reseal. Thank you! (And if I should start a new thread I can do that too.)
    ...See More

To Seal or Not To Seal - That is the $4 Question

Q

Comments (1)
    All polished porcelain has tiny microscopic open pores as a result of grinding the product to achieve the shiny surface. Use a penetrating sealer (only 1 thin coat), apply it with a cloth or sponge (circular motion - like Danielson), after you have thoroughly cleaned the floor after installation. Penetrating sealers do not affect the appearance or slip resistance of the tile and you usually only need to do it once. Remember, thin coat, no pooling. Dupont Stonetec, Custom Tile Lab & Aqua Mix, Miracle Sealants are all brands that are good and available off the shelf in most home centers or flooring stores. You may contact the vendor you purchased from - Care and maintenance information should always accompany a flooring purchase and is customarily part of the deal.
    ...See More
  • vrjames
    15 years ago

Labradore Black is from Angola. And it is classified as a Labradore which is not a "true" granite.
    It is in the same family as Blue Pearl.
    It is exceptionally dense and should not require sealing at all.

Blessings

• luclin999
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you!

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Understand what sealing means as I almost said no to granite because of it - sealing is a SPRAY that you spray on, wipe off to make the water bead - when the water on your granite stops beading you reapply.

For those granites that DO need to be sealed, I can't recommend strongly enough against using spray sealers. You're so much better off using a sealer that you wipe on and off, rather than spraying on.

• mississippirose
    15 years ago

of course your stone source should be telling you all about it's care. I was told that once a year to clean off all granite surfaces with denatured alcohol then wipe on the sealer and let it dry. A little polishing and the pores are sealed up. No matter how dense the stone is it will still need sealing.

• oldtimecarpenter
    15 years ago

Seal it. If you don't, nasty microbes find their way into minute cracks and crevices you can't even see, wating patiently to do you harm someday. Newer products contain Microban(tm) or some other fungicide, use these if you can find them. They are effective for a year or more.

Its no big deal. Clean the countertop thoroughly, spray or pour on the seal. Spread it out evenly. Wait the prescribed time, then wipe it up.

• eagle100
    15 years ago

So I've done the rubbing on of a sealer several times on my granite. On tv I see advertisements for professionals who seal granite. Do they do the same thing? Is their way a better way of sealing the granite? Those adve seem to confuse me - of course I'm certain it is profitable for a company to come and do it - but is it better?

• mississippirose
    15 years ago

my installer sealed the granite after installation and just gave me what he had used. I don't think (unless things have changed) that what they use is any different.

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

"If you don't, nasty microbes find their way into minute cracks and crevices you can't even see, wating patiently to do you harm someday."

There is no evidence that this is a realistic hazard.

• luclin999
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well we went out to two different stone yards and unfortunately the only slabs of the Labrador Black we had originally decided upon that were available all had unworkable cracks in them.

So we went with Black Galaxy instead.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

No matter how dense the stone is it will still need sealing

Mississippirose-- I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Matter of fact, some stones you can RUIN the finish by sealing them. Because they're so dense, they won't allow the sealer to get into the pores, and as a result the sealer sits on the surface, and turns into a white haze that looks like crap.

Wherever you got your information, they were wrong.

And just for luclin's info, black galaxy is one of the stones that should NOT be sealed.

• vrjames
    15 years ago

Ditto to what Bill says.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

bonnieann-- Funny you should mention that site. Alot of times, when this discussion comes up about sealing granite, I'll refer people to a page in that site that has links for two sets of tables-- one A-L, and the other, M-Z, listing the names of the more common "granites". One of the things they list on those pages is the absorbsion rate of each stone, and anything with less than a .25% absorbsion rate should NOT be sealed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Granite lists on findstone.com

• dollfanz
    15 years ago

We installed Star Galaxy and did NOT seal.

• dtchgrl
    15 years ago

Thanks for that "findstone" resource!

Any suggestions for if a stone is listing with a range of absorbancy? As luck would have it, the two types I am considering (Verde Uba Tuba and Golden Sand/Golden Beach/Persa) are shown with a range going below and above the .25%
    Would we tell the installer no sealing, ask for some remnants, and then test the sealer to see if we got the milky cast?
    Thanks so much!

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Although most ubatuba today has alot more density to it than previously, it wouldn't hurt to give it the "sponge" test. That is, to drop a sopping wet sponge or rag on the stone, and allow it to sit for a couple of minutes. You then remove the sponge and wipe up any water left on the stone. If it leaves a dark mark, you'll need to seal it.

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

my go to web site for granite is tom cordova's of the rock blog. love him and his answers.

Here is a link that might be useful: tom cordova the Rock Blog

• mondragon
    15 years ago

I wouldn't buy any stone that I hadn't test a sample of. I chose my Iguana Green both because it was really cool and because when I left all kinds of stuff on the unsealed sample - olive oil, wine, ketchup, lemons - it all wiped off the next morning with no trace. So I knew I wouldn't ever need to seal it.

• cheerful1_gw
    15 years ago

My granite is called Sapphire Blue. We've had it for five years. My husband thinks it should be sealed; it doesn't appear to me that it needs sealing. I'll have to try the sponge test.

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

Buddyrose - do you have any tips re. your crema bordeaux? Mine has a sealant on it (good for 10 years, I am told). I can't find info re. absorbancy, on Crema bordeaux though....

Bill, is the concern with a spray sealant re. health or is it a matter of the liquid being just better? I'm wondering about the granite cleaner that I have (from the company who installed my granite). Seems to be a foam.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Both. First, while you're spraying this stuff on your stone, where else is it going? Secondly, if this product is meant to seal your granite, what do you think it's doing to your lungs and throat as you breathe in the atomized mist? Third, keep in mind this is a chemical compound you're putting down in an area where you'll be preparing food. Personally, the less chemicals I'm putting there, the better I like it.

Lastly, the biggest reason why I have an aversion to spray sealers. Read the following thread when you have some time:

Here is a link that might be useful: A Warning about Stand N Seal

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

chloe s mom: my crema bordeaux seems indestructible. I've had it for over a year and haven't used the sealer given to me by the fabricator. I spill red wine on it regularly. Just wipe it up with a wet wash cloth. My sink area ALWAYS has water on the granite. Never gotten any dark spots. I just clean it with a damp rag.

Ask the person who installed your granite what they used to seal because you should always stick to the same sealer initially used.

check out the site also talked about above: findstone.com and read up on their lemon tests and water tests. That will show you if your granite needs to be sealed at all. Although if your guy put on a 10 year sealer, I doubt you have ANYTHING to worry about.

Red stones, like other darker varieties, are less likely to have these problems like lighter colored stones.

also I listed the rock blog site. another great site for tons of information. I learned a lot from both sites. I'm about to buy another stone for another place: Sapphire Blue. I'm so excited.

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

Bill, truly upsetting to read about health issues wrt the spray and seal. I also noticed on the box of grout today that it had a warning re breathing in dust, a nasty lung disease (starts with a 's' usually associated with aesbestos, sp?)

buddyrose = thanks for the info! I'm going to look up your next choice!

• shelayne
    15 years ago

Hmmm. I had finally decided against granite because I live with messy boys (ALL of them ;^)) and didn't want to have to baby it. But I see that my favorite stone, Blue Pearl, doesn't need babying at all.

Now, I think I am in love again. Shoot!

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

"I also noticed on the box of grout today that it had a warning re breathing in dust, a nasty lung disease (starts with a 's' usually associated with aesbestos, sp?)"

Silicosis (asbestos causes mesothelioma).
    Silicosis is caused by powdered silica inhalation (thing of sand ground as fine as flour).

• luclin999
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well they just started putting the granite in today.

I decided to double check on the quality of my Black Galaxy, so I poured a puddle of fresh lemon juice onto the counter and wiped it up ten minutes later.

And...

Nothing happened :)

Looks exactly the same as it did before.

• fidoprincess
    15 years ago

I love my black galaxy! Looking into it is like 3-D, such depth! One of the most bullet proof stones around. I have mine in the master bath but am trying to convince DH to do the kitchen too. It is the most easy care counter I have ever had. People complained about it showing dust and fingerprints but I haven't noticed any problem at all. Once in a while, one of the kids makes a mess with toothpaste and soap but it just wipes off so easy with plain water.

Just FYI, no sealer! If you get hard water spots, the best thing to do is scrape them off gently with a razor blade and remember, no abrasive sponges, you know the kind that have the one rough green or blue side. They will scratch our granite but I was told the round loose scrubby things are okay, they are just nylon.

Now, lets see PICTURES! What edge did you pick?

• minette99
    15 years ago

I have Black Galaxy in my kitchen and I love it! It's calm in the day and at night it twinkles light a brilliant night sky. I've actually named some stars on it. I really like the day/night contrast of it. I also love how my good dishes and glasses look on it. My kitchen is small and I didn't want one of the other beautiful stones full of colorful movement... I felt they might be too much movement for a small space. Black Galaxy is perfect for my small size. I't been 8 months and I still smile at it everyday!

Let's see pics Luclin!

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

luclin999: how hysterical that u poured lemon juice on your granite. I'm glad it passed the test.

Even with my granite which seems indestructible, I wipe up spills and don't let them sit.

chloe s mom: I just remembered that my granite fabricator said to be careful of spilling oils and letting them sit. But I never let anything sit. How funny that my first stone had a ton of red in it and my next stone will have flecks of blue. Cool

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

buddyrose - I checked out your next stone and can see why you chose it! Excellent taste, I must say :)

I'm nervous about the oil thingy and cooking. I knew that I was a messy marvin, but with laminate, I didn't KNOW just how MUCH of a messy marvin I am (bec I didn't watch myself).

Luclin - I'm looking forward to photos!

• luclin999
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are the pictures I took when they were putting it in..

Unfortunately the cabinet installer still needs to make an adjustment to the cabinet which goes next to the fridge so the granite people couldn't get everything done and will have to put in the last piece and do the touch up work later in the week.

I am hoping that when they do that they will be able to make the seem in the second picture a bit less noticeable.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Looks great luclin999! We have AB Premium...black w/a light scattering of silver inclusions...with similar colored cabinets. After our Diamond Black became unavailable, we next considered Black Galaxy...but all the slabs we found at the time seemed to have pink in them...and the pink definitely clashed w/our cabinets! So, we ended up the AB Premium.

Your BG looks wonderful w/your cabinets!

Enjoy!

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

Like it a lot.

• steppedg
    6 years ago

I have calissa white granite with Sensa Seal on it. It looks like it's covered with crumbs or dust. Is that really the reflection from the metal specks or is it the fault of the sealant?