SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
independent_thinker

laundry closet overflow pan drain question

I originally posted this to the laundry forum but I think this question is more appropriate for the plumbing forum:

We are getting ready to renovate (with the help of a plumber) our laundry closet on the 2nd floor of our condo. We have purchased a stackable LG washer/dryer set and will be installing a new utility sink where the old washer used to be.

There is a floor drain already in place under the flooring but the old washer was in a pan that didn't use it. I plan to use it in the renovation. It is 2" PVC pipe and will sit below the utility sink.

I have designed (on paper) a drain pan that will be built with 1/8" steel and then powder coated bright white for aesthetic purposes. It will cover every inch of the closet floor to protect from leaks from the washer or the utility sink.

I have a couple questions about how to best utilize the floor drain:

1. Is it necessary for the pan to have a slight slope for draining, this could be difficult since the washer and dryer require a very even surface to reduce vibration.

2. How should the drain coming out the bottom of the pan be designed? Is it best to have a small hollow cylinder and attach to it some durable 3/4" tubing and feed it loosely into the 2" PVC? Or would a direct connection using a shower drain that would seal with the 2" PVC below work best?

Any helpful comments would be appreciated

Comments (8)