SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaismom_gw

Modest 1940s and 1950s house: period appropriate update

kaismom
13 years ago

We are looking at some 1940s and 1950s modest houses as a rental; 1000 to 1600 sq ft total house size. My husband does NOT want to put in anything that looks out of place; ie 2011'ish looking kitchen. This seems rather odd but there is an incredible amount of charm and honesty in these modest 40s and 50s houses. I really don't feel that putting in granite or typical modular cabinets augment the feel of the house.

I have seen so many houses where the old remodels actually remuddled the place and left it with NO charm or honesty intact. I would like to avoid it.

We would like to keep the budget down since this is a rental. My thoughts are that I would like to have painted white/colored slab cabints with either tile with front band of trim or laminate with metal edging.

Tha cabinets will mimic the modest old fashioned site built slab front cabinets.

Regarding tile: how expensive is it to have someone tile the countop for you? Is this in the granite category? We will be hiring everything out. I have never really priced out tile countertops.

Laminate counter top: Can you even find the old fashioned metal edging?

Comments (14)