SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantoretire_did

Meghan, your opinion?

wantoretire_did
17 years ago

Our 45 lb. cockapoo (large size) had had a dry cough for at least a year, but has had regular kennel cough vaccinations, and when seen by the vet last year, she didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about. He was boarded at the vet-owned kennel this past April for a couple of nights. Then, we had his teeth cleaned in June and following that, he started throwing up copious amounts of phlegm which has an egg-white consistency, particularly after drinking water/eating. X-rays were taken; esophogus and trachea are clear. Vet said it is a bronchial problem. He was put on an antibiotic, cough suppressent and Terbutaline.

That didn't work, so I sought a second opinion and am much happier with the second vet. He put him on a different antibiotic (Doxycyleine) and a cough suppresent. Said that sometimes a different antibiotic makes a difference, but if that doesn't work we are looking at having to have a bronchoscopy (sp) and cultures, which could run anywhere from $500 to $800, and we may not get any answers even then. I've switched to wet food and have raised his dishes up about a foot, which helps some; at least the food doesn't get stuck and come back up, but he is still throwing up the phlegm at odd times, once or twice a day, with a little food. I've made an appointment for the bronchoscopy for next week.

At my wit's end right now.

Carol

Comments (22)