SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
try_hard

What color should I paint my kitchen?

try_hard
15 years ago

Hi everybody! I've been agonizing over a paint color for my kitchen for months. The painter is ready to get started next week and I'm STILL uncertain about my current choice, P&L Fennel, which some might say looks like Avocado Green from the 70's. A decorator whose taste I like suggested this color after I told her I needed to add some color to my kitchen. She also suggests I paint the back wall of the glass cabinets espresso brown and that I add some espresso brown accents in the kitchen in the form of decor. I will probably put a cafe rod on the breakfast nook window of an off-white linen-ish fabric, maybe with a single espresso brown stripe.

Here are pictures of my kitchen and living room. The living room is painted SW Nomadic Dessert. I want to leave the living room as-is and paint the kitchen. The kitchen is currently SW August Moon which looks nearly identical to P&L Peanut Shell. The windows are on the north side of the house so I don't have very strong natural light.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Living room (main colors are rusty orange, green, gold, beige, brown):

Living room:

Living room:

Kitchen:

Breakfast nook:

A closer view of my granite:

Comments (31)

• try_hard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello, this is the Original Poster again. I should say that I've also been considering oranges, such as P&L Spicy or SW Baked Clay. Spicy next to our white cabinets looks like a University of Texas kitchen - something that people in the Big 12 region will be able to picture. And that is not appealing to me.

Try_Hard

• htnspz
    15 years ago

The same color but darker or maybe a green to contrast with the chairs.

• Related Discussions

what color should i paint my kitchen

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi decorinva. I'm glad both you and your mom were able to join us. I wish some of the color gurus around here would join in. I'm not one to know colors by their names. I don't have any color fan decks, though have lots of chips. All of Laura Ashley, which I personally love. They happen to be tucked away now though. If you really want color have you thought of any blues? Blue would be a great complementary color to your cabinets and work well with the green in your dining room too. At least I think so.
    ...See More

What color should I paint my kitchen to make it brighter?

Q

Comments (9)
    Those countertops are tough. I don't care for either paint color in your photos but but original is definitely better than the Sea Salt. I like pink and grey together, though - have you considered playing up the pink with accessories and painting the walls a very pale, crisp true grey? I'm not familiar with all the brands and colors like some of the experts here, but Benjamin Moore Greytint or Grey Cashmere might work, or Sherwin William's Passive.
    ...See More

What color should I paint my kitchen?

Q

Comments (2)
    Need good pictures of entire kitchen, and the floors.
    ...See More

What color should I paint my kitchen cabinets with Taj Mahal quartzite

Q

Comments (8)
    Nobody asked for the full context. I did, as she wrote"my floor is ceramic beige and cream tones" Call it big trouble in "river city" .....from her private message. Wait until the op returns. Paint is the least of the issue right now. To others.......... When we prod and poke beyond your obvious question? We do it for a reason, and it isn't to annoy you. Ask FIRST before major investments in any partial refresh of anything. : ) but especially kitchens and baths.
    ...See More
  • htnspz
    15 years ago

okay, I change my mind about the same color but darker. It wouldn't look right. I still like green and I would look closer to the rug and find one of the colors there if you don't like green.

• try_hard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, htnspz. Green is what the decorator suggested. But this will be my 3rd green kitchen - 10 years of green kitchens - so I guess that made me hesitant to use green.

try_hard

• msrose
    15 years ago

This may be too boring for you, but what about a darker color on the same strip as Nomadic Desert like Hopsack.

Laurie

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I really like the Fennel and it is obvious (from those yummy chairs) that you can handle color! I also agree that bringing the espresso color from the LR into the kitchen would look good.

Here's what I worry about... I don't love a contrasty color when there is very little wall space showing. This is particularly bothersome over your cabs. If you paint the interiors espresso, then you will have two little strips of green and 16 little squares of brown. Too patchy, IMO.

So, I think I would go with a slightly paler green on the walls to lessen the sharp contrast. And/or I would carry the green into the cabs to lessen the patchwork look. You could do a lighter version of the Fennel on the walls and the Fennel itself inside for a little extra punch. I just don't think that the cabinets are the place for the espresso.

I also like the idea of using a terra cotta, like the chairs, on the walls. It seems like a better fit to me, but you'll have to work carefully to find a toned down orange, thereby avoiding the "team" colors.

Another way to lessen the contrast between a strong wall color and the bright cabs is to glaze the cabs. They may not be as bright as they look (flash photography will do that), so this last suggestion may be irrelevant. Can't tell without being there. In any case, this is not advice, just food for thought. :)

• midwestmom
    15 years ago

I have to say I like the color you have now. It shows off your cabinets. I think painting it a dark color, such as the 70's green, will then put the focus on the wall color and not your gorgeous cabinets. Just my opinion!!

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

Maybe you can do orange in 2 walls in your kitchen (stove & oven wall), then run the family room color all the way in to meet the orange (hard to see the right hand side to figure out the floor plan. I assume the nook is in the corner right to the island). Do you have a pic of the nook & window to the right?

BM audubon russet is a great orange that's not too bright.

Is normadic desert taupish? A green w/ yellow undertone would make a taupish color appear pinkish.

Good luck! HTH

• try_hard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bellaflora: I found 2 pictures on my computer that show my kitchen breakfast nook. Yes, it is off to the right of the kitchen.

try_hard

• try_hard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

On my lunch break I'm going to the SW store to grab a sample of Hopsack and see how that would look. I am worried the Fennel green color will make the kitchen look smaller and that it may be too bright and saturated for that space.

Try_Hard

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

Try hard: Now that I see the nook is in its own place, seem like you won't be able to wrap the color around because of the arch.

good luck with Hopsack. I hope it works out for you. Beautiful kitchen btw! :-D

• try_hard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

At lunch I went by S-W (luckily it's very close to my office and home) and picked up a small can of Latte and a small can of Hopsack, which are both on the same strip as Nomadic Desert, my living room color. Latte is one shade darker, Hopsack is 2 shades darker. I painted some swatches on the walls so that when I get home from work tonight they are dry and I can evaluate them.

While I was at S-W I noticed a green called Bamboo Shoot that I like better than the Pratt & Lambert Fennel green paint my decorator recommended. Bamboo Shoot isn't as bright but is still a strong shade. So I brought home a sample card (but no paint.)

Here is a cell phone picture of Latte and Hopsack - not a good quality picture but you get the idea. I can't wait to see how things look tonight after the paint has dried.

Try_Hard

• cathrugg
    15 years ago

Your house is so beautiful, no matter what color you choose.

May I ask where you got the chandelier in your breakfast nook? I LOVE it.

• try_hard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cathrugg: Thank you for the compliment. The chandelier is the "bellora" from Pottery Barn. It's still available on their website.

I've included a link, below.

try_hard

Here is a link that might be useful: PB Bellora Chandelier

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

I'm a huge fan of the Kilim Beige/Nomadic color strip from SW. But, in your room, I think it will just be blah. Too much neutral taupey brown. You've got the dark brown furniture, the dark brown island, dark brown accents colors in the tile and granite. It will look ok, just not pow.

If you want a little pow, I'd go with the color of paprika red/orange of your accent chairs or rug. Not UT orange, but a paprika rust/orange. You need to take a chair cushion into SW and get a shade that coordinates with your rug/furniture. Not bright pumpkin orange. Or I would go with a green. Not knowing what fennel looks like, I'm not picturing a bright green, more of a BM Baby Turtle green.

• les917
    15 years ago

Honestly, I would leave the kitchen alone, and paint the LR in the green. I think the clay or rust colors would be too much with the tones in the flooring and the dining set, and in that small area, since the kitchen itself has little wall space at all.

The LR, on the other hand, needs some color infusion to really set off the great chairs, rug, and make the brown tones sing. Your fireplace isn't standing out the way it could, either, against the beige walls.

Then consider adding some art to the dining area, perhaps inset roman shades or just a fabric valance in a print that picks up all your colors.

What are the two boxes on the wall on either side of the fireplace area? Are they speakers? Can they be painted the wall color to make them disappear?

I would also consider mirroring the inset area of the fireplace, or painting it with a design in the colors much like the decorative pillow on the rust chair. Or, frame out an overmantel that matches the moulding of the fireplace, and runs up and around the inset space. You have a huge wall there, and the fireplace could be more substantial.

I also wonder if you have considered re-setting the furniture? I would love to see the sectional on the right side of the fireplace, facing the windows, the chairs opposite, and the tv to the left side of the fireplace, or on the wall to the right of the windows. Then your island area would open up and you could add stools there for additional seating for the LR area or the kitchen.

You have a wonderful space, very open and inviting, and great pieces you have chosen. A tweak here and there might really spark the look even more.

If you want to paint the kitchen and leave the LRas it is, and are sick of green kitchens (which it sounds like you are!) you might consider a warm grey that compliments the granite, the backsplash tile, and that grey stripe in your rug. Then add in some rust accents. Grey and rust and brown would be a very sophisticated palette.

• try_hard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Les917: Wow, you gave me alot of suggestions that I have not considered before. I should tell you that the pictures I posted are outdated - we now have a flat panel tv hanging in the inset about the fireplace. I had not considered moving my sectional to face the windows because that means the back of the sectional would be what you see when you walk into the living room and I usually don't like that.

The boxes on either side of the fireplace are speakers. DH says they are paint-able. I like the idea of painting them to blend in with the wall and will ask my painter about that when he is here next week. Great idea.

I, too, like the idea of gray paint to pull out the grays in my granite.

After looking at all the samples I painted on the walls and sleeping on the matter, I am inclined to paint the kitchen Latte, which is one shade darker on the same strip as the Nomadic Desert in my living room. I also tried Hopstack on the walls but it was too dark, considering that I get limited northern light in this space. Then I will add a bunch of color in window treatments and artwork and accessories in the kitchen. I also want some artwork in the living room but have not even begun shopping for that.

Thank you for the suggestions!

try_hard

• Arapaho-Rd
    15 years ago

You have such a beautiful home! I like the way the colors you have now pop against the neutral walls. I can understand wanting more color, but the chairs, rug, and any other accessories really show nicely now. BTW, I love your leather couch - do you mind me asking who makes it?

• try_hard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Arapaho: Thank you for the compliments! The leather sofa is by Ethan Allen. We bought it about 4-5 years ago. Unfortunately, I found out last month that they don't make it anymore (one of my friends wanted to put this exact sectional in her home and met with my Ethan Allen designer who told her it was discontinued.)

Try_Hard

• msrose
    15 years ago

I really like the Hopsack, because I think it ties the two rooms together. I was thinking about your room while I was laying in bed last night (isn't that sad :)
    What if you add a few orange accents in the kitchen. You could find a picture for the wall by your table & chairs with a touch of orange and maybe the window treatment.

Laurie

• msrose
    15 years ago

I was just thinking about orange in case you decide to go that route and I remember two different people on the kitchen forum that painted their kitchen that color in Aura paints, but I've searched and can't find either one. I know one was actually the mother's kitchen that the daughter was helping redo and I'm pretty sure the cabinets were white. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Laurie

• msrose
    15 years ago

Duh! I knew as soon as I posted that, I would find it. Look at Caryscott and Abbycat's kitchens on this post.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Caryscott and Abbycat's kitchens

• randita
    15 years ago

Here is SW Bamboo Shoot in a picture I saved because I liked the color so much. Doesn't it look nice?

{{!gwi}}

• designer4life
    15 years ago

try hard - this might sound crazy but have you considered restoration hardware silver sage? I think it would work well with your white cabinets the colors in your rug and tile. just a thought.

• dana1079
    15 years ago

Have you thought of more of a sagey green maybe? The colors you painted swatches of seem to blend and almost be the same color as the living room with such little light. Not sure if you wanted it to flow with a subtle difference or for the green to stand out a little more?

I just painted my kitchen louisburg Green by BM. It's a sagey green that goes nicely with any taupe colors, also there's another by BM called paris rain I think...it's a more muted color.

Here's a pic a member of the kitchen forum had provided me of her kitchen, which I loved the color and went with the same!

It's the Louisburg!

My kitchen is still in progress otherwise I'd show you pics of it. My granite has black, greys, reds, and creams in it with white cabs. This color does a good job of being a neutral but pulling in other colors. My accent color is a deep red which is in my very upper display cabs near the ceiling.

I think it would work nicely with the orange in your living room, and from the pic seems to match the green in your rug!

Here's the Paris Rain (wall color)

This one may be a little too minty though for your space!

Not sure...just some ideas!

• msrose
    15 years ago

try_hard - Have you picked out a color yet?

Laurie

• queenofmycastle0221
    15 years ago

I was wondering if you had painted as well! As far as a rusty color. I loved the SW Copper Mountain that I had in my former kitchen!

Alicia

• judithn
    15 years ago

I'm also playing with the idea of painting a bedroom Hopsack. I have tested several others on that strip, Nomadic Beige is just blech in my room. Latte is getting there, but the adjoining room is basket beige and together the two of them look like I tried to match, but didn't quite get it right. Hopsack is significantly darker than the Latte -- it definitely feels like it is TWO steps darker, not just one down on the card. But it is a really gorgeous rich color in my space. It definitely warms the space and will make a rich background for creamy colored accessories and lighter linens (this is a bedroom). So...I'm curious to know, have you painted your kitchen in Hopsack yet? If so, I'd love to know how it turned out and whether you're pleased.

• rekhatrip
    14 years ago

i wondered if you painted your kitchen yet. I was also wondering about nomadic beige and latte but wondered if there was enough contrast with the two to bother.

• dreamywhite
    14 years ago

GREEN GREEN GREEN ALL THE WAY

• tess70
    14 years ago

I really love the chairs you have in the living room. Can you tell me where you bought them?

Thanks!