SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jsceva

Ideas for odd-shaped kitchen with awkward low window?

jsceva
13 years ago

Wondering if anyone has any good ideas on how to handle an awkward corner of my kitchen. I apologize in advance but I haven't figured out a way to do an accurate postable layout, so I will try to describe and it may not be clear..will try my best.

The basic shape of the kitchen is an upside down, flipped L with the to right corner cut off at an angle of approximately 30 degrees or so. There are three doorways, one of which is on the angle wall. That doorway leads into an office space. The space is pretty small; the longest wall, on the right, is slightly less than 9 feet long.

There are two related issues I am struggling with, on which I am open to suggestions. They are (1) in general how to deal with the office doorway, both practically (maintaining ease of access) and aesthetically (making it look not weird), and (2) how to deal with a large low window that takes up the right half of the "top" wall, starting only about 30" off the floor.

Currently, There are typical counters (standard height and depth) on both the top and right walls, with the right hand wall ending about a foot before the opening and the one on the top wall only about half the length of the wall. It actually overlaps part of the window frame, which honestly looks kind of bad. That counter is the sole plumbing area, where the sink is and the dishwasher will need to go.

The obvious thing to do is to keep this same arrangement, but to shorten the top wall cabinet so that it no longer covers any of the window frame. This would be simple and look good, but I already have less counter than I would like and it would significantly decrease my sink options.

Sooooo...does anyone have any alternative suggestions? Does anyone think it would look good to end the right hand run with an angled or triangular cabinet? Or have any suggestions on a way to cover part of the window without it looking weird? I have seen some kitchens where counters fully cover a window, but never just half of one.

For now, please assume the window can't be raised...I am looking into that, but for now assume the answer is no.

Thanks in advance, and I again apologize for how confusing my description probably is.

Comments (8)