SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfire

Show me your SS chimney hood vent with flue extensions, pls

cfire
13 years ago

Hi everyone! You don't know me, but I feel like I know you. And, I seriously need your help.

I have been following this kitchen forum since we decided to undertake a kitchen reno last summer. (And, if this has posted somewhere other than the kitchen forum, pls excuse me) In fact, our inspiration kitchen is Jodi_in-so_california's (cherry cabs, black pearl granite counters, stainless appliances and that gorgeous fire and ice tile backsplash she brought to everyone's attention!)

Without your even knowing it, you have been helpful and supportive. I am truly grateful for the forum (and Starpooh's FKB!) and all of you who contribute. But, I'm kinda shy when it comes to postings, which is why you haven't heard from me, though there have been many times I've wanted to...so you can imagine how much this hood vent issue I'm having is bothering me to venture out in the open like this!

Our vision was that the chimney vent along with the backsplash would make that wall the focal point of the kitchen. Our ceiling is vaulted, which is why the flue extension is necessary.

We had decided on the Broan Chimney Range Hood Model #B5630SS because I loved the beautiful curved glass canopy and sleek stainless vent and because it met the 'under 500 cfm' requirement my contractor gave me. (http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=100656)

When the carpenter first installed it (in early January!! But I'm going to spare you all of the frustration, angst and irritation of the comedy of errors that has transpired from then till now), it just didn't look right. The lower flue bowed out just ever so slightly to cause the light to bend/break when looking at it from any angle.

I realized there would be a seam where the upper flue extension fit into the lower flue, of course, cause I could see it in the picture. But, the two pieces just didn't fit closely and looked terrible. The carpenters (father/son) just shook their shoulders and said that's how it is.

So, I called Broan and spoke with tech support. They said it sounded like one or both of the pieces had been bent. They are very, very thin, and delicate. He said the seam is visible, but the upper and lower flues should be flat and flush against each other. They sent us another full set of flues and the extension at no cost.

The carpenters are sked to re-install it on Wed. And, while I am hoping for the best, I want to be mentally prepared for the worst. I am hoping that the flues will fit well enough so that looking at it there isn't a waviness accentuated by the light reflected in it. I had just assumed this was possible until a few days ago when in desperation I found a pic of someone else's Broan B5630SS, and it looks the way ours did when first installed... except that our vent is just 30" above the cooktop and the extension is several feet longer. Here's the link http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg071632067986.html?9

So, please, tell me, is it possible for the flue and extension to look flat, straight and sleek... or is what you see in the picture as good as it gets? If you have a great looking stainless steel vent + extension, please post pics so I can see. And, once I figure out how to post pics, I'll do the same.

Whew... it at least feels good to get this off my chest. If you've read till the end, thanks for your time and patience. I am looking forward to sharing all the cool things about my kitchen once this drama has ended.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH