SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

Backsplash Question/Help Needed...Complicated?

Buehl
16 years ago

We have our updated designs, the stop work order has been lifted, and they are back working on our kitchen. However, a question regarding the backsplash has come up that will impact what the electrician does with the outlet boxes.

We plan to have a neutral tile on the cooktop wall. Nothing too fancy, basic tiles with perhaps a listello or maybe accent tiles interspersed in regular intervals. The exact details are waiting until the kitchen is done since (1) we're not sure what tiles we want yet and (2) our budget is shot!

However, our KD is suggesting that we do NOT do tile on the sink wall that, instead, we run the granite up the wall to meet the upper cabinets. Since the upper cabinets will stop approximately 5-1/8" before the window, she's suggesting we stop the granite 5-1/8" before the window as well...so, the granite will only be where there's upper cabinets. I need opinions on how this will look...I can't seem to picture it so please, I need help! What do you think:

1. KDs' idea of running the granite up the wall to meet the upper cabinets? Ending 5-1/8" before the window (like the upper cabinets)?

2. Tile to match the cooktop wall...would it also end ~5-1/8" before the window?

3. 3" granite backsplash only on the window wall? Where would it end? At window? ~5-1/8" before window? Other?

4. Other ideas altogether?

We will have plenty of light in the kitchen (recessed ceiling, pendants on flanking the sink in the window well, under cabinet Xenon lights)...so I don't think we have to worry about it being too dark.

Granite: Black Diamond (like Black Galaxy only silver inclusions rather than copper & pink)

Cabinets: Cherry w/Mandarin Orange stain + Coffee glaze

I've posted a picture of the sink elevation...two corrections, though...

• the window sill is going to be flush with the counter...i.e., the granite will run into the window well (~18" deep)

• There're actually 5-1/8" inches b/w the window and the upper cabinets (result of yesterday's measurements during the "big meeting"...contractor measured this time, not the KD!)

I've also posted pictures of the wood/stain/glaze and a picture of the granite I found on the internet (Black Diamond is a "regular" granite so this pic should be close. We have not picked out a slab yet.)

Sink Wall:

Cherry Wood/Mandarin Stain/Coffee Glaze:

Diamond Black Granite....but this picture doesn't capture the silver inclusions, so I've also posted a Black Galaxy sample...the only difference is Diamond Black has sliver inclusions:

Diamond Black:

Black Galaxy:

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!