SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wooderlander

anal glands! [warning: GROSS!]

wooderlander
17 years ago

A couple of weeks ago, our large standard poodle began occasionally frantically licking the area under his tail. When he did this, the entire house would fill with the most awful smell, indescribable and nauseating to me. Then he would drag his butt on the floor. After the first couple of times, I thought "anal glands" because I've read and heard about them. This happened a few times. Also he has been asking to go out more often, but once he gets outside, he just looks around and wants to come back in. He must have been uncomfortable.

Today I took him to the vet, who cleaned out his glands and said he'll probably need to have this done every couple of months or so. She said that the glands can rupture if they get impacted and aren't treated, especially if the dog is "scooting" on the floor. Also that this problem is more common in small breeds, but big guys like mine can get it too.

I just wanted to describe the symptoms in case anyone hasn't had experience with this (like me!). The treatment is not expensive.

Comments (10)