SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redroze_gw

Layout for Eat-In Kitchen - Many questions!!

redroze
16 years ago

Our eat-in kitchen is roughly 18x17.4 feet, and we are renovating in late spring this year. Our designer did some rough design mock-ups, and our contractor created them in AutoCad with specific measurements and some tweaks. I have a couple of areas that I need advice on. Thanks in advance!

I'll start with a photo of our current kitchen which opens up into the family room.

{{!gwi}}

As well as the plans for the new layout. Note the new positioning of the island. The plans are angled differently from the photo but you can use the main sink under the window as a reference point, as we are keeping it there.

{{!gwi}}

1) Island Placement - We don't have the budget to remove the column (and not sure if we can even do so). I'm also putting two antique pendants above the island that will be a focal point. Do you think an l-shaped island would look better so the column isn't in the middle of nowhere, or do you think this island placement looks fine?

2) Cooktop Area - The island is 3x8 feet. We have the standard 42" of aisle space from perimeter to island. But I want the island to be roughly centred to the cooktop area so the hanging pendants frame it, but ALSO have symmetry for the upper cabs on either side of the range hood. I can't have both because I don't want to widen the aisle from perimeter cabs to island (or let me know if you know a way!) Which would do you think is more important - island centred to cooktop area, or identically-sized upper cabs on either side of range hood?

Island roughly centred to cooktop:

{{!gwi}}

Symmetry of upper cabs but island NOT centred to cooktop:

{{!gwi}}

3) Open Shelving - The designer had a fab idea to put open shelving on the oven/microwave and fridge wall for pretty dishes, mugs, etc. We have plenty of storage so we're not worried about losing storage space. Do you think the shelves are too long? One idea is to put a corner cab on the right so the shelving doesn't look too long.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (12)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler