SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
horsefarm_gw

Cheapest system for sulfide gas (?) - smelly water

horsefarm
16 years ago

Our well water smells like rotten eggs. I think it has gotten worse over the years - my husband says in periods of drought the water table drops and we get more smell. I don't think this is the case as it seems consistently worse. The same water feeds our barn apartment - the new tenant is freaked out about the smell. I can't blame her. Perhaps we really did just get used to it. When we built the house we put in an aeration system It cost 2200 and it works. The barn was a significant distance away so we didn't "share". That's a lot of money for a one person water system if we were to install another. We have shocked the well and pipes with chlorine and installed a carbon filter. Very short-lived results. The filter lasted 10 days but it says it will last 3 months. The filter is the small whole house filter system. A Sears brand water softner is installed.

Any other systems out there that are effective? The worst part for her is showering. I thought about a showerhead filter but that probably will also last 10 days. We're handy - we can install whatever is needed but we want to get the right thing at the right price. Thought about installing a chlorinator on the well head.

Comment (1)