SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amyathome_gw

Does every living room need a coffee table?

Amyathome
13 years ago

Hi everyone!! I have literally been reading these boards for years and I have never posted. We purchased a new home in May '10...and really have done no decorating. I am so ready to decorate but I need desperate help. I will be taking pics and posting tomorrow hoping for some good input and ideas for you girls!

My first question is, is it strange NOT to have a coffee table? The way our furniture is layed out...we have one end table and that is it! I know, a pic might be needed to give a good opinion. Pics will be posted tomorrow! So glad to finally be posting! :)

Comments (36)

• txcountrygal
    13 years ago

We didn't have a coffee table for years because we had a sectional with recliners and liked to pop out the foot portion - it wouldn't have worked well with that particular sectional. Then, we went to a sofa & loveseat with ottoman (which was adopted by our pup!), so no room for a coffee table again.

After all those years without one, I finally decided that I wanted one with our current sectional - it has recliners on both ends and we found a round coffee table that works very well with it. I'm loving having one now.

I guess to sum it up, I don't personally feel it's totally necessary to have one if you have end tables. But, if you're going for "Martha Stewart picture perfect," you would probably want one. Just depends on how you live in your home and what your personal needs are. :)

• patty_cakes
    13 years ago

Absolutely not! I have a large trunk(great for storing an extra throw/blankets!)in the bonus/tv room, and nothing more than a huge brass tray on an iron stand in the great room, which I use as a formal LR. I guess i'm opposed to the 'standard' coffee table when there are other things for consideration. Ottomans are also being used as coffee tables, but to have no table is not strange. ;o)

• Related Discussions

need ideas for new coffee table and end tables for living room!!

Q

Comments (5)
    What you've done thus far looks lovely, the dining room is yummy. Most of the living room is done well but I have a little issue with the balance of the room. In the photo ,looking straight on to the sofa, I see that it's not centered on the wall and the chevron pattern chair seems crowded. Is it possible to center the couch and move your heirloom between the two windows to another spot. Take the chevron chair and put it at an angle up near the window more to the right of the window. Then take your heirloom piece and place it to the left of the sofa. Just a suggestion.
    ...See More

Need Help with living room arrangement and coffee table!

Q

Comments (2)
    For some reason it won’t upload my pictures! I thought they were attached!
    ...See More

Need 8x10 rug, coffee table, extra seating for Living Room

Q

Comments (11)
    Your bookcase has a 60’s vibe and a tan leather sofa is not quite beachy either so I would head towards a relaxed, eclectic look with durable and fun pieces. Aim for light and airy and I would lighten the paint color. Suggest a durable and interesting rug and it will set the direction of the room and will help with your furniture and accessory choices. I would wait until you get possession so you can better access the best layout and needs, ie: round or square coffee table, number and size of chairs, lighting/side tables or a floor lamp, etc With a tan couch, I wouldn’t use dark choices in seating and accessories if you want to achieve a beachy look
    ...See More

Does my living room need a rug and coffee table?

Q

Comments (17)
    Some people find it a huge faux pas to put a TV over a fireplace. Some people swear they can't be comfortable for viewing over a fireplace, your neck will explode from the agony, the TV itself will explode into a ball of flames from the heat from the FP, and people entering your home for the first time will shriek in horror at your set up ..... None of that has been my actual, real life experience - currently have a TV over a fireplace in 2 homes. They both work just fine. Use a tilt-able mount as having them angled downward is a must (or use the adjustable mount so that you can pull it down while watching and then push it back up when done.) No one has died, no one has shrieked in horror, still using the same TV for 8 years in one house (so, so much for the "the TV will never last!" line), and I like the way it looks. If that makes me a lowbrow lowlife, so be it.
    ...See More
  • txcountrygal
    13 years ago

I so agree with patty cakes ... just wish we could convince our fur baby that an ottoman is NOT just an elevated pup bed! LOL!

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

When the kids were toddlers, we got rid of the coffee table out of fear of them falling against it. When they got a little bigger, we liked having the floorspace for play.

I couldn't wait to get a coffee table after so many years without one, and have always had one since. I do like a table or ottoman or chest used in front of most sofas, but if the room feels finished without one, then I wouldn't worry.
    Dee

• bh401
    13 years ago

We haven't had a coffe table in about 14 years. (did away with it after DD started toddling around. We haven't missed it. Ofcourse, we have a couch with recliners and a loveseat with recliners. When the new house is finished, they are going in the kid's den(my house is a hangout for my teens and their friends). I have an "L" sectional (looks like a couch with a chaise attached) I plan on adding an ottoman.(It might turn into the doggy bed too, although they laze on the loveseat most of the time and sleep on our bed)

I have end tables, one on each end of couch with the loveseat using one(sits at 90 degree angle to the couch) I may add a sofa table to the back of the sectional at the new house.

• les917
    13 years ago

No coffee table here for years. Our family room has a leather couch with recliners, so a coffee table would have been more of a nuisance than anything.

In the LR we got rid of the coffee table when I realized that it was more of a place that I used to stack books and perhaps a pretty bowl than serving any useful purpose.

For me, personally, if I am sitting back on a couch and relaxing, I certainly don't want to have to sit up and move forward to reach my coffee or other beverage from the coffee table. I want a side table that is next to where I am already comfortably seated.

So if you want to decorate without one, don't feel like you are missing the mark. Why spend money on a piece that serves little purpose?

Oh, and NO, coffee tables are NOT for putting up your feet. They are tables. If you want to put up your feet, then you need an ottoman or footstool. A HUGE pet peeve of mine, can you tell? LOL

• arcy_gw
    13 years ago

I went 22 years w/o one!! DH made one for his mom. I always knew when the time came I would get it back and as others have mentioned our rooms were too small, toddlers and corners don't mesh..so I never missed it. I would however get people asking me "Don't you want a coffee table?" Well 22 years later it returned to us. We now have the space and no toddlers so it has worked out perfectly. You are correct les it is mostly for "decoration" but also it reminds me of where it was and the dear lady who loved it first.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I haven't seen a room yet that I've liked that doesn't have a coffee table. CT's pulls the room together.

Les, I disagree, lol. Yeah, coffee tables are "tables," but most are informal in informal settings except in the "formal living room."

My coffee table is so inviting it's ridiculous. It begs for people to prop their feet on it, if their shoes are off.

It's the most functional piece of furniture I have. Two drawers in front for storage of odds and ends and one drawer behind it (across from the sofa) where I keep all sorts of things from sticky notes, pens, scizzors (need those to open packages), address book, nail files, lotion, chap stick...the list is endless.

I pay my bills at the table while watching TV. I use coasters because I sit at the sofa many times with a drink while watching TV or visiting with friends. When a lot of people are over, people put their drinks on it and I do provide coasters.

Most importantly, when my GS visits, I take everything off the table (runner, basket, magazines) so he can drive his little cars and trucks there. And he pulls up his rocking chair to draw. :)

I couldn't live without a coffee table.

• enailes
    13 years ago

My formal living room is very small and I don't use
    a coffee table there, however, in the family room,
    which is larger, I do have one. I really think it
    depends on the space, what's already in the room and
    the function of the room as well.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Definitely not! INHO, you can have TOO many tables. End tables, coffee table, sofa table???

We do not use a coffee table in our great room. It really interrupts the flow of the seating area. I do have some type of side table with each seat (sofa and chairs).

I totally agree with Les, a coffee table serves no purpose in our great room. Too often they become cluttered up with "stuff".

In our sunroom, we do use a small coffee table. I found a steal of a deal on a Duncan Phyfe table that had been painted and distressed. LOVE IT. Looks great in the room and serves a purpose. That is my go to spot to look at my decorating mags, read, just enjoy the scenery. So I do have a stack of magazines there and also a plant as the whole room is windows.

I love ottomans and we do use one in the great room - but not in front of the sofa and not in place of a coffee table.

Do what works for you and don't feel like you "have" to have a coffee table.

BTW, welcome!

tina

• chocolatebunny
    13 years ago

We too have a loveseat and couch with recliners in the LR so no coffee table for us. Our dining room is currently the kids playroom, so our LR is pretty informal and is an extension of the kids' play space. We also didn't have a coffee table when they were little; they are old enough where we could have one but they love spreading their toys all over the floor so we just have two end tables for now.

• PRO
    Divine Interiors
    13 years ago

The need for one should be based on the practical usage of the room as dictated by you and family. One of my rules of decorating, is do what you like and what serves you.

• porkandham
    13 years ago

Congrats on your new home! I don't think every living room needs a coffee table per se, but I do think that there needs to be a place to put a drink for most, if not all, of the seats.

Since you've just bought a home, I imagine that there are lots of things you need/want to spend money on right now. I'd live without a coffee table for a while. You can always add one in later!

• regina_phalange
    13 years ago

I haven't had a coffee table in 8 years, since my first child was born, ha ha. My youngest is still just one year old so it will be a while before we get one again. I'm so used to it at this point that I'd say it's not needed.

• itltrot
    13 years ago

We don't have an actual coffee table. We have an ottoman that is positioned like a coffee table. I have a tray on it so we can place our drinks, clickers or whatever on it as needed. It rolls and has no sharp corners so I no longer cuss it like the coffee table. It was always jumping out at me.

Oh and we don't have end tables next to the couch. The other chairs have a table of sorts.

• sis3
    13 years ago

No, I don't believe so. Your living room should only have what you and your family need to make it comfortable!
    That said, we have two identical coffee tables in our large living room (yes, I know that is unusual too) and no end tables. It works for us - at times the tables hold drinks, stacks of books, decorative items, plants or flowers, or sometimes nibbles when we entertain.

• rosesstink
    13 years ago

Of course not. I have one - which has sort of become DH's office (pretty annoying) - but can imagine doing without it. My parents didn't have one and I seem to recall they referred to them as cocktail tables and thought them snooty. lol

I'm with Les on the feet on the table thing. Feet don't belong on tables.

• patty_cakes
    13 years ago

Agreeing with others for never having a coffee table because of 1-2-3-4-5 toddlers~~not at one time, but VERY close! I became so used to not having one, that when I *did*, didn't want one of those big in-the-way tables, especially when carrying laundry to the sofa to fold, and possibly trip over it.

I have another large brass tray like the one i'm using as a table, but need a base that matches the other one, or need to find 2 of something that match. I like the idea of using 2 smaller tables because they could be moved around very easily. I don't have end tables either. ;o)

• denali2007
    13 years ago

We've been married for 39 years and never had a coffee table either in the LR or FM. If we did I know it would be piled with junk.

• rita_tx
    13 years ago

We've just taken our coffee table out of the room as it was interfering with me doing my Wii games/exercises/dancing. It was too much of a hassle to constantly move it. We do have a big ottoman that we put in its place, but it's easier to slide out of the way. By the way I love my new Just Dance 2 Wii game that Hubby got me.

• fnmroberts
    13 years ago

Our Living Room isn't very large. We have a tea table which is smaller than most coffee tables and a bit higher. It is nice having a place to set drinks etc. when visiting.

{{!gwi}}

• User
    13 years ago

Hi! Looking forward to seeing your room.

No, I think sometimes they look good without but it all comes down to function. In the end, I wanted something comfortable to prop my feet on and we bought an ottoman. I love it and use it daily. I wouldn't prop me feet on a coffee table (uncomfy) and wouldn't want to put a drink on either there for fear of spilling it. I've thought of putting a decorative tray on top but I'd be moving it all the time so that doesn't work for us either. We keep a basket on the shelf underneath that holds magazines and the remote.

• Michelle Grimm
    8 years ago

I had one in the past and it was an extra chore just keeping everybody's stuff off of it. I have not had one in a few years and I have never missed it so I probably don't need one.

• Kanga
    8 years ago

So, I've gone back and forth. Being in the military, we've had our share of homes and various sizes of spaces. My husband brought this very clunky solid wood coffee table into the marriage. It wasn't so bad in our last couple of homes because the family rooms were very spacious and the table didn't dominate the space. However, the current home we are in is a different story. I just couldn't handle a huge table right in the middle of the room, so I stuck it upstairs in our bonus room. While researching new tables, we want without one for months. It was nice having more space for the kids (and unfortunately, their toys), but to be clear...my young children were never a reason to remove a coffee table. We've just never had issues with them running into it or getting hurt. Also, because we did not have side tables, not having a coffee table quickly became an issue. My husband and I watch the news in the morning while drinking coffee and we enjoy beverages after the kids go down while watching tv. :) For me, I needed one. In short...it depends on the use of the space. It also depend on proportions. I've learned there are billions of options out there and you will be able to find a table that's both functional and appropriately sized. Go with whatever feels right to you. Good luck!!

• arcy_gw
    8 years ago

The entire time we had toddlers and on up we did not have a coffee table. Our rooms were full up with all their toys/swings/bouncy chairs. I also never had to worry about sharp corners etc. We preferred the floor space for play. DH made one for his mother. When she died I got it. Now we have a coffee table.

• vedazu
    8 years ago

It depends upon how you live. If the only people, ever, in your living room, are your own family and you tend to watch a lot of TV, then you probably don't need one. But if you have guests and you entertain in that old-fashioned way of having conversations, then you need to have a place in the center of the seating for food, drinks and so on. I sent a coffee table that was not perfect for a space in my house to a second house, where it is more suitable. I haven't found another for the first house yet, and with Thanksgiving around the corner, and house guests arriving soon, I really miss not having one. I'll have to turn a cardboard box upside down and plop a tray on it or something. In any case, it depends upon the way you live and how you use the room.

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

As long as there is some place to put beverages or appetizers for guests, there is no need for a coffee table. Or maybe you just entertain in the kitchen or outside? Or seldom?

Living rooms look fine without -- I want one for my functionality.

• laughablemoments
    8 years ago

Old post folks. Want to let it die?

• Bunny
    8 years ago

Ditto SJ.

• les917
    8 years ago

A coffee table is NOT a footrest, folks. Get an ottoman.

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I've never understood why people get a coffee table, and say they will rest their feet on it. Id much rather get an ottoman to rest my feet on (like, 90% of the time) and on those occasion when I want to serve in the Living Room (which I am against anyway), use a tray on the ottoman. I believe you can never have too many ottomans. Or dimmers.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

Oh Les, you would have such a fit if you could see the other sins I commit with furniture in my house.

My coffee table is what I use it for: dining table, magazine rack, craft table, footrest. It's a brilliant footrest.

• les917
    8 years ago

Oh, Linelle, you certainly can use it any way you like! But as you see from all the ways you use it, it is a table. It is not intended for resting shoes or feet upon, especially if you are then dining on it,; resting feet on the edges wears the finish on wooden tables. But it is your house, your rules.

• nhbaskets
    8 years ago

I always had a coffee table and always rested my feet on it. Just recently got an ottoman and I love it! So much more comfortable.

• Stefanie Freeman
    5 years ago
    I personally do not like coffee tables and love NOT having them in my home. I always found it awkward to walk around them to get to the couch. I dislike how they can block traffic flow in a room. (And how they always seem to collect clutter). We have a nice big ottoman and some great side tables which looks good and works great for us.