SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tauphidelt

Move Cat or Not?

tauphidelt
16 years ago

We are moving to a new home in a few weeks and I'm debating whether or not it's time to have my cat put to sleep before we go.

He is 18 years old and has liver disease of some sort. Beyond that we didn't pin it down, because at 18 I'm not doing an extraordinary treatments; the decision was to watch him and see how he does. His hips are a bit wobbly, but his appetite is still hearty (he's been 18 lbs. most of his life... appetite has never been a problem. LOL!). He's bloated and has quit grooming much of his back half because I'm convinced he can't bend around that far anymore. Although he's definitely slower and has a very limited number of spots he goes to (floor by my bed, food bowl, couch) he doesn't seem to be in pain. The stairs are very hard for him to navigate, though.

However, I'm very worried about the stress of the move on an old, sick cat. We've been in this home for 11 years and he's quite set in his ways and not fond of visitors. I can't imagine what strange people, all the activity, being kept contained during it all and then adjusting to a new home is going to do to him. I know his time is coming and would like his last bit to be happy/familiar, not all the change, etc. Selfishly, of course, I don't want to let him go and my biggest fear is that he will be stoic and I'll wait too long.

Any input on my difficult decision?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths