SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_ct

Legal water bypass meter

sue_ct
9 years ago

My town has instituted a new sewer usage fee. It is based on my water usage as measured by my water company. The town has decided to allow people have a bypass meter of some type installed that will deduct water usage from outside faucets that are used for watering lawns and such, since that water is not processed by the towns sewers. The meters must be installed by a licensed plumber. My water company has used units available for 60.00 (I wonder if they were confiscated, lol). Owners are responsible upkeep and replacement if it fails, etc. This is new but I think we even have to call in our own meter readings so that it will be deducted from the water usage used to determine the fee. I have tried searching to find out what a new unit would cost, but as you can imagine, all I turn up is information about how illegal this is. I was also wondering about what it might cost to have it installed. I think plumbers rates locally are about 75.00/hr. Can anyone point me in the right direction in finding these units? I have two outside faucets, so I was also wondering if this means I will need two separate units.

Comments (9)