SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cnvh_gw

Something weird on dog's paw pad

cnvh
17 years ago

I just noticed something weird on my dog's paw pad and am wondering if anyone has any ideas...

I noticed my dog licking/chewing at her front foot tonight... she's been doing this occasionally (maybe once every couple of days) for a few weeks now, and I never paid much attention to it since she's not favoring the foot in any other way, not limping at all, running around and playing as usual, etc. I just assumed she was grooming herself.

Well I decided to take a closer look, and I noticed something weird at the rear edge of one of one of her middle toes... I can't tell if it's a scab that's healing, or if she stepped in something (like gum, maybe?) that stuck there, or what. It's about half the size of a pencil eraser, not really discolored in any way, but it's definitely something unusual.

Also, the entire underside of the webbing between her toes on that foot is a reddish-brown, like the color of rust; none of her other feet are anything like it.

So as soon as I discovered this, I had her hop into the bath tub, and I gave the foot a good wash, thinking maybe it was dried blood or something... Washing it had no effect; the discoloring is the same.

I can't figure out if it's something I should worry about, or not. Like I said, her behavior is completely normal, and whatever it is on this foot, it doesn't seem to be causing her any pain-- the foot isn't swollen, she doesn't flinch or get agitated at all when I handle it (and i was really manipulating these toes all over the place, trying to figure out what the problem is, picking at "the spot," etc.).

Before anyone jumps on my case, I noticed this about half an hour ago, around 11 PM, and it doesn't seem nearly "critical" enough to warrant a late-night emergency vet visit!! :)

I DO have to stop by her vet's tomorrow to pick up more heartworm preventative though, so I will probably take her along and see if our vet has a minute to take a peek at it.

Does anybody have any ideas? Maybe something caustic she stepped in or something? "Foot worms"? I am clueless right now, but even though our dog doesn't seem very fazed by it, it sure is bugging ME.

Comments (12)