SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smaloney_gw

What to do with my galley kitchen?

smaloney
12 years ago

I posted here a year ago and got great advice. So great that I have spent the past year staring at all the beautiful kitchens here and trying to figure out how to spend my limited remodel budget as wisely possible. I have a galley kitchen that also happens to be the main corridor in my small house. I have a tall husband and 2 young boys who will probably hit 6 feet before HS, and I already feel claustrophobic when they are clamoring for the fridge. Plus I hate that people have to walk through such a narrow (& ugly) kitchen to get to our main living/dining space. But the galley isn't an obvious candidate for opening up, since the long sides are abutted by an exterior wall on one side and a utility/laundry room. Oh yeah, and we're on a slab.

My goals are to have a more functional kitchen with more storage. My budget is modest and even more importantly my husband hates disorder so trenching the slab doesn't seem worth it. Originally I was focused on connecting the galley to the "breakfast" room but the wall is load-bearing and even if I put a beam in, etc, the galley would remain uncomfortably tight.

The "easiest" solution is basically to upgrade what's there, switching to induction rather than gas so that I can move the cooking to the other wall without too much mess. (We must do a fullscale electrical update even if we do nothing else.) But a year of fiddling with possibilities, literally considering everything, has produced one intriguing thought: what if I stole some space from the laundry/utility room, which would open the kitchen to our living room and bring it closer to the dining room as well. It would orphan that breakfast room, which I'd need to rethink since we need to use every inch of space here, and it might be too pricey. But is it markedly better (or am I just desperate for anything other than what I have?)

I've posted (1) a rough version of my first floor layout, (2) a take on what leaving the galley as-is (with induction) might look like, and (3) my crazy ambitious thought about taking up some of the laundry/utility space.

Is the last idea crazy? I'm not sure it's viable, since I�ve got to assume the wall I'd need to reduce is a load-bearing one. But it seems nicer: no more elbowing to get to the fridge or guests having to navigate past someone cooking just to get to the living room. I need to get this done this spring/summer, or else my family will have me committed to whatever asylum takes the kitchen-crazed. I'd love any feedback or smacks upside the head about what direction I should or shouldn't consider. Thanks!

{{gwi:1725162}}

Option A: Straightforward remodel:

{{gwi:1725163}}

{{gwi:1725164}}

Option B: Move walls

{{gwi:1725165}}

{{gwi:1725166}}

Comments (14)