SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bud_wi

Can anyone share your experiences with pest control?

bud_wi
17 years ago

I've been calling around for pest control to eradicate a nasty flea infestation.

I can't believe what I'm being told by these guys.

One guy told me they could come the next day. He said I had to give my kitten another dose of Frontline Plus the day they came even though I told him I had already given the kitten a dose last week. He said do it again!

None of them claim to have ever heard of methoprene (Precor) or pyriproxyfen (Nylor, Archer). They all said eggs and larvae can't be killed. One guy said whoever "told" me that methoprene is a hormone growth regulator, that stops the development of larvae, is nuts. He said there was no such thing.

One place said that after they spray the place I must sweep, vacuum and MOP MY WOOD FLOORS *EVERYDAY* and also sweep vacuum and MOP my basement and attic EVERYDAY, - for six months. I said well, if I am going to be doing all that everyday I wouldn't need you guys then. I could just sweep, vacuum, and mop.

I have Zonolite (loose packed asbestos insulation, considered the most dangerous asbestos there is.) in the attic. I'm not going to be doing ANY vacuuming or sweeping up there!!!!! I want to live a few more years longer. He didn't know what Zonolite was and said it didn't make any difference. Geesh.

Wouldn't mopping everyday remove the incecticide?? Shouldn't one wait a week or two before mopping after spraying or bombing.

I asked one place what chemicals they use to spray and bomb and he told me I didn't need to know that, because "I wouldn't understand any of it anyway". I guess my university education was wasted.........

Most of the places I called want me to get on a "regular program" on a contract. I think this is all a scam.

Can't they just come in one or two times and spray and use some sort of 'insta-kill' and something long lasting, along with an IGR (insect growth regulator)?

What questions should I be asking when I call to make sure I don't get ripped off by them?

One guy laughed out loud when I told him I had been doing research on the internet. He said I won't find any answers *there*.

I've done plenty of research on sites like http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2081.html and such already. These pest control places seem like con artists poised to take advantage of the elderly.

I bet that just by calling I got my name on a list of door to door salesmen. I know that by using caller ID and then reverse look-up on the internet one can get an address. Pizza delivery places do this to confirm orders and weed out hoaxsters.

Just this morning, and AGAIN in the afternoon, I got a Kirby vacuum salesperson come to my house. (Two different sales persons.) I didn't even know they still had door to door salesmen nowdays! It seemed odd that the salesperson, (whom I would NOT let enter) specifically mentioned that there vacumm cleaner can be used to spray incecticide....... Hmmmm. How many homeowners would find THAT to be a major selling point on a *vacuum cleaner*?? When I did not react. The sales person went on to ask, "Do you have pets? Do they have fleas?" Hmmmm. Sounds like somebody has a cousin in the pest control business who gives referals........

It's going to cost me about $500 for a profesional. I don't mind paying it if it is going to work but these guys are either really ignorant, or are con artists. I don't want to WASTE any money on something that is not going to work.

Should I just buy a case of Vet-Kem Siphtrol and keep at it?

Comments (8)