SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

Need to figure things out ASAP! :)

anele_gw
11 years ago

Very long post-- I apologize!

This is the house we bought this fall.

My GC was here for other reasons, and suddenly we are going to paint the LR and DR THIS WEEK, which desperately need to be redone, as you can see.

Also changing are the sconces. They will be completely removed. Getting recessed lighting. New (old) sconces would be better, but that sounds like a hassle.

Sadly, sofas and chairs are staying for now.

View from sunroom:

View from front door:

View into sunroom:

View into dining room:

Dining room:

View from kitchen:

The floor is going to be left as-is until fall. Then, I think I am going to get all of the floors refinished but that is still up for debate since everyone else wants wall-to wall in the LR.

Fireplace, well, anything I want to change is $, inc. changing the mortar color (they told me old mortar would have to be completely removed). So, I am stuck with it for now as-is, other than I am hopeful that I can remove the soot.

I love these kind of looks:
{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

My ideal would be a place that is very informal and relaxed, but with little touches of "luxury" like velvet and old Persian rugs but not shabby chic.. I like warm and cozy above all else. I also like a little bit of kitsch, florals, etc, esp. in the dining room, like this:
{{!gwi}}

The bookcases are going to be getting extensions so that they are taller, and I will be moving the curtain rods up. I took down the curtains I recently made, and will be making new linen ones soon-- anything else is too dark for the already-dark room.

Also, I am looking for a mirror for the oval table, a table lamp, and a few floor lamps for the chairs. I took almost everything out for now.

ANY ideas for a color palette for LR and DR? Both are dark.

I was thinking navy with accents of coral and orange (esp if I could recover the chairs or get new/old ones), but I guess that would just be too much like a cave.

Comments (42)

• roarah
    11 years ago

What a lovely home, the wood work is stunning! I will preface my advice with I have a dark side:). I am drawn to dark dining rooms, they seem so dramatic and special to me! I love the idea of navy in your dining room. I like the wood work in your inspirational pic against the dark blue, it is very rich. You can lighten the feel with curtains if it feels "cave "like.
    In your livingroom I might opt for a lighter color. I love navy with a bunch of different greens and greens often looks nice with wood trim but I could also see a lovely coral working too. I can not wait to see what you do!

• Related Discussions

Help! Told I need to pick out floor ASAP.

Q

Comments (15)
    Oh Mags I hear you on mistakes! When we first bought this place about 20 years ago we did major renovations as it was a very old farmhouse. Half the house was on propane and half on oil heat. It needed insulation blown in, new plumbing and wiring. Know what I picked out for a kitchen floor? Don't laugh (it really was hideous!) 8x8 pink tile. Solid pink-in a big kitchen. Here is the really weird part. I do not like pink. Maybe in a sweater but not anywhere in my house. Not only was my kitchen pink (I had pickled maple cabinets-it is what we are painting cream colored for the renovation) but I chose a pink colored bedroom rug. The woman who owned this house previously had passed away. She LOVED pink. Pink car, pink 3 door side by side fridge (wish I kept it, it was vintage and in great shape!) and cook top as well as pink bathroom. I swear her ghost made me do it.lol UGH. I hated that floor! I seriously have no idea why I picked pink except thinking it would match well with the pickling colors in the cabinets. Yuck. Yes, I have had some doozies myself. Baby blue toilet, sink and tub anyone? We own a lot next door that we hope to build on or put up a modular ranch someday. We like the house we have now but it is big and the kids are not here anymore although our grandchildren visit weekly. With the market the way it is we figure we wont be selling anytime soon. I have seen cork and like it. I think if you really like it then you should put it in. I went to a website of a kitchen and bath place here in RI and they had at least 10 pages of all different kitchens they helped renovate. Some I thought were hideous but others would probably love it. We all have different tastes and needs. It is why I love getting feedback here from everyone! I am going to let the designer do her thing and just sit back. I think that would be the wisest thing to do. I look at kitchen pictures now and they are all blending in together!
    ...See More

Need help figuring this out

Q

Comments (8)
    I'm probably not going to be much help but my SD does the same thing on Friday afternoons. If her mom can't be here to get her from school, I go pick her up and wait for BM to get here. From the time she is picked up until her mom gets here, she is 'my best friend'... even if she barely mumbled goodbye to me that morning. I have surmised that she is doing that because she wants her mom to show up and see how great she gets along with me since it makes her mom jealous to see that. In your SS's case, I think it may be that he is not comfortable being affectionate or friendly around your DD. Maybe he feels threatened by her or doesn't want to step on her toes, like he's 'taking her mom' and so he backs off. There can be so many reasons why he does that but you should probably take him aside and talk to him alone about how you feel... let him know you like when he is more affectionate and talks openly and it confuses you when he is cold around everyone else. When he is acting cold, you can ask him 'did I do something to upset you?' and he may just snap out of it. I think the best way to get to the bottom of it is to talk to him about it directly and ask him how he feels and share how you feel.
    ...See More

I need some help figuring out how to lay out this kitchen

Q

Comments (66)
    If you use lisa_a's with 2 entrances to the pantry it may just vent itself easily as I'd imagine the pocket entry door to it from the garage may stay open or ajar frequently. You could possibly fit it in the bump back to match the entrance stairs. Fridges in garages are pretty common around here but we have more issues with freezing temps than overly hot. Otherwise I'd put it in that spot in the garage where the writing says small appliances for inside the kitchen. That's not far of a walk at all.
    ...See More

Need help figuring out how to make my house feel less "busy"

Q

Comments (23)
    I feel like lighting will make a HUGE difference. Usually when people say "busy" I imagine cluttered, but your decor looks intentional and your house looks lived in but not like a completely kitchy mess. I think it's just the light/contrast letting you down. So don't be so hard on yourself! I'm a photographer and the think that always stands out to me in houses that are really beautiful is how much light gives the spaces texture, definition, and brightness. Because you have darker floors and some darker pieces of furniture in some spaces they all kind of blend together and look really heavy even though they aren't packed too tightly. It's super easy to just plug whatever lamps you have into outlets and flip a light switch that turns on some lights on your ceiling and stop there, but I think the big difference between really put together living spaces and those that don't quite feel as polished is often the intentional use and choices of light. Layering lights at different levels, paying attention to task lighting, and being selective with fixtures can really make a huge difference. I've no where near perfected this in our house yet, but the few changes we've made in some rooms have really had a big impact. I think the right lighting in your home can do wonders and really help establish the ambiance you are going for.
    ...See More
  • anele_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Roarah, I love your style so I am taking your advice seriously!

So, let's say navy for the DR. I can also wallpaper the back section between the built-ins for more interest, and a mirror over that. I can do maybe some different tones of coral and deep pinks for the chairs. Gold frames for artwork. Yes!

So, now the LR. I agree that it needs to be lighter. My dungeon FP makes me think a medium value (is that the right word)? Let's assume I will refinish the floors, too. What about a sort of more muted orange/adobe/terracotta? DH likes BM grand canyon, but I need an actual sample. Then I can bring pattern in via the rugs and accessories.

• roarah
    11 years ago

Thank you:)
    Is this Bm Grand Canyon?

[Traditional Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by Sacramento Interior Designer Kerrie L. Kelly

I would try it in the room and also try it in 50%. I like navy and terracotta. Here is a sofa in white with pillows in the color scheme you mention and it looks young and fresh yet seems to work with a traditional home too.

[Traditional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by Santa Ana Interior Designer Darci Goodman Design
    BTW I like your fire place. But I too have dark grout so it might just be what I am use too.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I too like navy and coral and think it will look lovely in your space. LOVE all of your inspiration photos (from both of you) and love the idea of casual elegance. It will work nicely with the woodwork and refinished floors (though I have to admit, I have a love of old, beat up floors).

You know, I like the BM Grand Canyon but I see something a little more yellow or rosy-- I really like the medium tone coral in Roarah's photo from Silversprings Interior Designer. I also like those lighter rosy flesh tones for your space/furniture too.

What fun you'll have! Your colors are going to make a dramatic change!

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Roarah, I had some of those same images saved! I love them all. My concern with the bolder coral is that there is white in the room, which I do not have, but, I suppose there are not too many solid walls in my room, either. And, now I am wondering if this will also be a problem w/navy, since all of my furniture is dark, along with the trim . . .and no windows since the DR is in the center of the home. The 2nd and the 4th are similar. I like those a lot, too. Hmm!!! In your 2nd set, I guess that is GRand Canyon, but I do not like it in the image. I was just going by my (very old) sample. I also like the other pic . . .too bad I do not have that view.

Thanks for saying something nice about the FP! I would like to see yours as it will help me appreciate mine more!

Funky, I like beat-up floors, too! Sadly, under my carpet is tar (!) ugh so it would have to be refinished to be useable. I am sort of worried about the sunroom floor if I leave it, because the PO scraped their piano bench back and forth on it, leaving it raw!

And yeah, I agree that Grand Canyon isn't right. I like the medium tone coral a lot, too-- but maybe too much for the LR? Also like the lighter rosy tones as well . . .

I can't believe I am rushing this. I am one to want to pick paint LAST but it sort of seems like now or never because of the timing . . .and I do not really want to keep staring at the splotchy walls.

Crazy, but I also love this:

{{!gwi}} (But yeah, I wouldn't leave the decorations up all year . . .probably.)

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

Take a look at these images of Japanese Imari and also google for images of Rose Medallion porcelain. The Imari has the navy and corals you like, and the Rose Medallion has the pinks, corals and turquoise. There are so many other colors used in the patterns, you should get some good ideas of other colors you can use along with your favorites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Imari

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

Danville Tan, Carrington Beige both by BM are easy to work around when in a hurry to choose colors. Would look great with your wood trim.

• roarah
    11 years ago

I have a lower level tv room without windows and it is navy but I was going for a media room so dark was purposeful. If you do not think navy works maybe a light blue with the rich coral and navy accents. Something like this

[Tropical Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/tropical-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2108) by Miami General Contractor Mackle Construction

I actually matched my LR walls to my fireplace grout. It is a dark grey and the walls' Seal Grey is almost identical. In pictures it looks lighter than in real life.

• roarah
    11 years ago

I forgot to mention I like the pumkin room and I like the canyon color, it is just the room room decor is older and more tuscan than your fresh approach for the color would be:)

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Great rooms with a lot of potential! But I would stay away from recessed lighting, unless you want to spotlight the FP for example. Because of the room size and low ceilings the recessed lights will stand out in a bad way.

I'd get a nice light fixture for the ceiling then use table and accent lamps to brighten things up.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Love all the book cases!

You might want to check into brick stains....you should be able to stain the brick as well as the mortar for a lot less than replacing or refacing. I've not done it, but saw Sarah Richardson do it on a house exterior....here's one product:

Here is a link that might be useful: Dye brick

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I love the idea of a navy dining room but I think the canyon paint may be too dark for the living room. A true taupe is a perfect companion for the room and it will give you the option of using many of your tones in the accessories. The furniture you have now would look stunning against it. Even the fireplace will look better. This is my favorite taupe, I've used it over and over and never tire of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: smokey taupe Sherwin Williams

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I would try to match a color in the bricks. Right now the yellow clashes with the brick. it would also look cozy to have the furniture grouped in front of the FP rather than divided so far on either side and stuck in corners...

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chickadee, thank you for the beautiful inspiration pictures! Now that I am getting rid of the sconces, I plan on putting up some obis on each side of the sunroom, so I love Japanese color schemes!

Sara, thank you! I will check those out now!

Roarah, your room is gorgeous! Your mortar does seem a lot lighter than mine-- mine is just BLACK. I like the inspiration pic. I wish light blue called to me more-- a lot of problems would be solved.

Oak, too late on the lights! The holes were cut this a.m. :) And yeah, I was not such a fan of recessed lighting in general and am pretty sure it will look dated soon, but I adore them in my kitchen, so I think it will be OK. Are 9 ft ceilings really considered low? They seem high to me, but I am only 5 ft. :) The problem is the overall lighting, because I am going to add other lightning to "layer" as well (and of course, all lights will be on a dimmer). Even when the PO had lights in EVERY corner of the room (floor and table) + the sconces on, it was still so dark.

Annie, thank you for the link! I have seen it before, but didn't realize you could lighten mortar, too. Perfect!!!

Yaya, you do think the navy would be OK in the DR? Everyone in my family thinks I am crazeeee. But, it is always dark w/o lights on since there are no windows in there. I am also still thinking of coral in there-- something cheery. I will definitely look at the taupe-- would give me a lot of options.

Tinan, yes, the yellow is awful. PO picked it, and supposedly the mom of the PO was an ID. As for the furniture, nope. I can post more pics, but there is no other way. If I move the sofa closer to the FP, then it feels like a waiting room, because the chair opposite it cannot be close enough (not enough room due to the entrance to the room). I figured out that the purpose of the FP is to warm the dining room and living room. It is centered that way for that reason-- directly across from the DR. There is no other way, so I instead divided the room into smaller rooms. Eventually, I want smaller chairs, so that maybe 2 can replace one in each area.

• User
    11 years ago

Here is a link to a DR with no windows . I love what she did and she talks about what has worked and what hasn't . Have you tried Google images for DR with no windows ? You might get some inspiration pics. I have a navy DR...actually it is now the sitting room....but it has huge windows so no help to you I am afraid. I have loved it since 2002 and have no plans to change. Hope this link helps. c

Here is a link that might be useful: DR no windows

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link, C! I would love to see a pic of your navy DR. I am sure it is gorgeous!! RE: the no windows, I don't see them as a bad thing in my house, because I like the cozy feeling that no one can see us!

I am getting a little closer-- for sure I will wallpaper the middle section between the built-ins in the DR. Would be 100% better if I had the time to pick/order/get the wallpaper FIRST and then pick the paint, but it needs to be decided by tomorrow, so . . .

• erinsean
    11 years ago

This is not about paint but I believe your furniture could be placed a little differently now that you have removed the scounces. I would bring your couch down more toward the fireplace and put your two chairs on either side of the fireplace, facing like they are now.. Put your bookcases on either side of the doorway into the sun porch.... and place your big round table in front of the window, a good place for a nice viney plant..... A lamp and end table could be at the end of the couch nearest the window and a floor lamp could be by the chair nearest the sunporch. A big plant could be by the other chair nearest the window/fireplace. Mentioning paint.....a nice beige or a soft green would be good, I think. Introduce another color with pillows and accessories...depending on your paint color.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grandma, thank you! Believe me, if my room had different dimensions and layout, I would have done what you suggested from the beginning.

To the left of the FP is the entrance to the room. Absolutely no room for a chair, as it is also very narrow at that point. To the right of the FP is a floor vent, so I have to be careful with moving the chair any closer to it.

I wanted bookcases on either side of the sunroom initially, but my current ones are too wide, and ones that are narrower are half the width of what I have, as I wanted a certain height and price (limited to Ikea).

It is a very awkward layout. I have considered shooting a video so it would capture its difficulties better than photos. Eventually I will do a floor plan with measurements, but really, the way I have it now is about the best it can be. An improvement would be to change the scale of the chairs, as well as fabric of all furniture, but that can't happen soon. I think once I get more accessories (artwork over sofa, mirror and lamp for table, etc) + switch the flooring/add rugs, it will come together better. Have to work within the space though, which is far from ideal in that room.

ETA: I can push the sofa down to be centered along the large wall. I used to have it that way. It looks better, but not as good for conversation. The large table is really too big/overwhelming for the room. Will probably sell soon. It fits nowhere else, unless I remove a chair.

This post was edited by anele on Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 15:54

• User
    11 years ago

I didn't mean that it was a disadvantage to have no windows...there are a lot of great rooms to see in Google Images..I checked out quite a few so hopefully you will get some ideas.

Here is my room. At present it is the sitting room and my former morning/sitting room is now the DR...I love to swap rooms :) But you can get an idea maybe from these pics.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Beautiful room, I think you did a wonderful job.

• User
    11 years ago

yaya..thank you that is very kind. It now has the Oriental from the morning room in it and the leather sofa and maroon leather chairs and a blue velvet footstool that was my Momma's. An eclectic mix :) c

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

I would do a warm brownish grey on the walls. I'm thinking F & B's mouse's back or dauphin. I think if you do orange on the walls you will be limited. If you do a neutral you can do wonderful coral pillows and accents that will look amazing against the grey and will also look lovely with a navy dining room.

I wouldn't hesitate to go dark. With your woodwork, light paint makes the room look choppy and your eye stops every time you hit a door or window frame. With dark walls it just flows. Those sofas will look amazing against dark walls, as well.

Sorry if someone else has said all this above, I'm in a bit of a rush and didn't have time to read all comments.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Trail, that is a gorgeous room! And I didn't think you were seeing no windows as a disadvantage, but I do think the homeowner in the link you posted does. :) I looked up images but even though I put "no windows" (in " ") I got mostly images with windows!

Daisy, I love to see gray in other homes but not in mine. I agree that gray/coral/navy is lovely!

Interesting thought about a dark color helping with keeping the flow because of the woodwork. Also, I keep thinking of what Magnaverde said about his room-- he went dark even though the standard advice is small room, light colors. I know he and others have said that if a room is already dark, then it won't help to have a lighter color.

I was getting closer to deciding but now rethinking . . .and to complicate things, we have had such a full schedule (almost 8 and DH is still not home) that I have not had ONE hour without the kids to run to get paint samples this whole weekend. BM is closed by now. :(

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Oh, I feel for you-- there's nothing worse than feeling rushed when choosing the colors you'll live with for awhile.

I agree that grays are lovely.. but not for your home (not for mine either). I just don't see them working nicely with the woodwork or the fireplace. I do love the oranges you lean towards but I would definitely stay on the medium-light range. I'd just try a few with the fireplace. It's a major feature and if they work well together, perhaps it will stop fighting with the room.

Still love a blue for the dining area. I don't care for the light blues either unless they lean green. My sister did her dining area in a dark teal (hers leans a little more blue) that is just lovely. They chandelier does beautiful things with the wall color.

Hope you get some time to focus tomorrow. It sounds like you know what you want-- you just need some time to play with the samples!

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Funky, you are such a sweetie. Your posts always cheer me up!

Well, I ran out to Home Depot. BM will be a pain to get to, even tomorrow, and tomorrow is my last day. Lowes is pretty far.

I picked three samples. Warm Terracotta, Cardamom, and some white that I can't even remember the name of.

Painted (poorly) some samples, right on the wall. DH does not like them. Says the WT (for the DR) is too red. Cardamom (for the LR) is too dark. I don't like the Whatever White. It is just boring.

I think I am going to stick with what I've picked because, honestly, I am about out of time and starting to feel like I do not care.

The Cardamom "goes" with the brick in the LR and is not such a contrast with the trim/bookcases, which is a good thing. The WT is lively and a little crazy, but hey, it's always like a party at my house. And, I would like some of my kids to eat more, so maybe it will inspire them to chow down seeing it in the DR.

Best of all, I want to be DONE.

Can only find a pic of WT online . . .courtesy of a GW, and I really like it.

Here is a Cardamom sample:

I don't love it, but hopefully with the right accents, it will be OK. It will be better than what's there now, anyway.

• roarah
    11 years ago

I think it will be lovely and brighter and warmer when it is done. Can not wait to see the difference! I think a red terracotta will stimulate the appetite!

• fripper
    11 years ago

I LOVE the Warm Terra Cotta and think it would be a knockout in your room. Is it a Behr paint?

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

I am having a hard time determining where your doorways are because the two white chairs are throwing me off. Can you post a room layout?

I think you need a nice light color in this room as you have only one window. I noticed your inspiration photos have white couches, area rugs, and lots of flowers.

I have a similiar living room, longer than it is wide, and I think furniture placement is challenging. I'd be inclined to move your sofa towards the dining room doorway and put the two chairs in the back.

Could you move your book cases to the opposite side of the room, flanking the entrance to the sunroom? Then I would get drapes to play up your window. I would hang the drapes from a tall rod that is at least double the width of your window. Then hang drapes next to the window instead of over it.

[Traditional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by Dallas Home Builders Ellen Grasso & Sons, LLC

[Contemporary Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by Miami Interior Designer Myriam Payne

Candice Olsen's new book has alot of great ideas for windows that could be bigger.

Good luck!

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Roarah, I think just about anything will be an improvement! If nothing else, I am so glad to say goodbye to those sconces. It makes me very sad to think that maybe they got rid of the original ones, only to replace them with those. Ugh!

Fripper, yes, it is Behr! Sticking to the only paint I can get at 9 p.m., hahaha! I love it in the pic (which I saw after I bought the sample) but not so sure in my room, since no one likes it. Cold feet! I still want to wallpaper that one section between the built-ins, so have to think of what I would use.

Dilly, I will see if I can post one later today, but since the baby is about to wake up, not likely. I will post more pics, but there is another window in the room. Also, the bookcases won't fit where the sunroom entrance is by about an inch! That inch has killed me-- I was looking originally for a secretary for that space but could not find one small enough.

This is where the entrance is-- view from the front entrance:

So, again, the entrance is RIGHT by where the white chair is (by the bookcase side)

You can sort of see the entrance here

Chair and window (by sunroom)

RE: a light color-- yes, that is the big debate. Some people think you can't lighten a room with a light color, and that w/the dark woodwork, it would also be too disjointed. I think the heavy fireplace makes a light color a "no." But, others think it will be TOO dark. My GC thinks the wood/FP/color will all blend too much. I am not sure if that is a bad thing.

Here is a sample of the terracotta, taken at night:

Thanks for your continued help, everyone!!!!

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

It's not what I would choose, but I really like it. Just think how gorgeous those chairs are going to look against it. Toss some navy and white geometric patterned throw cushions on there and it will sing.

I have the same woodwork and I tried every light shade there is (like, actually painted the whole room light shades twice) because all my inspiration photos had light wall like yours. I finally painted the walls dark and chose light furniture and the effect is so much better.

I can hardly wait to see finished pix!

• erinsean
    11 years ago

I am not giving up on your room...lol You do have a doorway to contend with I see.....now how about putting your bookcases across each corner by your sunporch? I call it catty-wampus...is there enough room? That would take care of the nice bookcases. Then I can see your couch on the window wall and two chairs with table/lamp between where you have your couch now. Tall plant on one end of the couch.....end table/lamp on the other....coffee table in front of the couch....OR leave couch where it is and put the two chairs on the window wall...either way.I see your terrecotta paint is pretty bright but could look nice with your room. If there is no room for your bookcases on the corners going into your sunroom, could you put one on each end of your courch and your two chairs in the corner with table/lamp between them? Guess if I were doing it, I would get some "sliders" and start moving things around till it pleases me. Look luck with your paint and I am sure it will turn out very nice.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Daisy, it is thanks to your comment about using darker colors to keep the room from being choppy w/the woodwork that stuck in my mind! Like you, I love those airy rooms but I agree that it won't work. I just told my friend, "My fireplace would eat anything dainty alive!"

The sample of the terracotta is in the DR. It would only be in that room. I am not sold on it. I like the idea of something like it . . .but not that shade.

Grandma, thank you for not giving up on the room!!! Do you really not like the bookcases on that wall (where they are now) or is it that you want more seating in the other area? Even w/o the bookcases, no one in the family likes anything . . .not a chair, even, to block the window. I have tried. And, I do think the bookcases look pretty heavy in that area where they are now, but (not sure if this would work), I am going to wallpaper the backs of them with something light and a pattern. I thought that might reduce some of the weight in that area.

Now, one of your options of moving the bookcases and then the chair on each side of the window may work. I think I did try recently and there was not enough room w/the couch to be centered on the wall (because the chair sticks out so much), but I will try again.

And yes, this is definitely the time to move things around because everything is bolted to the wall, but will be "free" now that the room is getting painted!

I would love both chairs at the end of that room . . .going to go do some moving now. :)

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Did you rule out a more orange color? I think it would be nice with your woodwork, but I am partial to orange. :) I am not sure I am following along correctly anymore :) Are you leaning towards the terracotta in the DR and then what color in the family room?

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Boop, nope, orange has been on the list! In fact, I got a sample of Sweet Carrot tonight. It is a great color . . .very much like my Halloween inspiration pic above!

BUT, I think I have picked my colors, and am surprised by my own choices.

We are going to stick with Cardamom. Believe it or not, when I put up other samples (also really love the colors . . .Behr has some wonderful choices!), DH said he actually like the darkest one best.

Here they are:

By dungeon FP:

Now, here is what I am surprised by. I thought a lot about what kinds of accessories I want to use and how to decorate for the holidays. I also feel a little tired when I looked at the orange and terracotta . . .so pretty, but I feel like they "want" something from me (attention) and the kids make me worn out as it is. I don't want to have to pay attention to the color everytime I walk in the room, ha, ha!

So, instead, I am picking a color that for some odd reason I have always liked. I don't normally like blues for myself, but I wanted to paint my room this color and didn't get to as a kid. All of my kids like it. It goes with red, orange, coral, and my favorite, toadstools. :)

Magic Moment

Magic Moment on left, Sweet Carrot on the right.

I am excited!

This post was edited by anele on Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 1:06

• erinsean
    11 years ago

To answer your question about the bookcases....I like them where you have them but seems you could have more of a "seating" arrangement with the bookcases in another spot. One of your chairs seems so far away from your other furniture. Have fun moving furniture and I do like the paint you have chosen for your dining room.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

LOVE your colors.. and I think they'll work well for you and what I know of your tastes.

The cardamon is so much like the colors you've talked about the last few months and should work very nicely with the muted florals you like. I also like how it works with the fireplace--I really do think it has the potential to bring the fireplace into the room rather than having it stand off on its own.

Also love the blue-- though it looks like a smokey blue lavender on my monitor. It is sexy and glam but still right at home for a family space. I know this sounds weird, but it looks like it has a story .. and that it would invite stories. And it looks great with your woods and accessory colors.

Well done-- your choices are unexpected but I think they'll serve you well. Glad you are excited by them!

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grandma, thank you! I agree-- wish there could be at least one more chair on that side of the room. I will keep working on it! In the meantime, sometimes people like to get away from the crowd and sit on the other side of the room by themselves, haha! And sometimes . . .that person is me. :) But, eventually I would like 2 smaller chairs to replace the big one.

Funky, I love your line about the blue looking like it has a story/would invite them! I am going to think about that every time I see it! You are right, It is sort of a smokey blue lavender. I think of it as a deep periwinkle, but that is misleading because periwinkle isn't deep, is it?

Thank you both for your enthusiasm! DH is not so enthused about all this, so it's fun to share the happiness here. :)

• roarah
    11 years ago

I Love the colors, the blue looks like it will take on all different shades adding drama to the lovely room. I too, like the cardamon best with the bricks and it is so warm! I can not wait to see your rooms come alive with your personality!

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

I can't wait to see pics! I love the colors. :)

• funkyart
    11 years ago

"drama".. yes, that was the word that wasnt coming to me the other night. I definitely think the character will change from day to night-- which I think is just what you need. Bright and fresh with the kids and sophisticated and sexy at night when you're entertaining or hanging around the table with DH.

I definitely pick up on a smokiness in both colors and I think that makes them work nicely together. I am eager to see photos-- and to watch what you do with them over time.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

DD has a media room painted in a color very similar to Magic Moment~~LOVE it! The room has taken on a more dramatic look for sure. She's used it with a gold, not bright, more muddied. Can't wait to see the finished room! ;o)