SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizpiz

Finally - Elizpiz's Finished Kitchen

elizpiz
15 years ago

Well, here it is I am finally posting my finished kitchen. A quick "before and after" Â full album linked below.

Before...

After...

Some background and few details:

Our house is almost 100 years old and as such, the original kitchen was quite small  about 9x10. We have an unusually shaped lot, and the shape allowed for us to be able to knock down an exterior wall and build out. Here is the original floor plan:

I love to cook but for all of my adult life I have never cooked in a kitchen that was bigger than 9x10. I've never had a dishwasher before, unless DH counts (we didn't have one in my family home either) and the efficiency in our "zone" came from being able to reach everything because the space was so darn small!

The objective was to make the kitchen look like it was always there, with more up to date appliances. To achieve that, we had the cabinets hand painted and distressed and chose heritage colours. We used reclaimed oak planks for the island countertop; the hardware is a combination of hand forged cast iron from England and finds from architectural salvage. Countertops and the main sink are soapstone.

An imperative was to find a home for my 300+ (and counting) cookbook collection. We achieved that through clever cabinetry and the acquisition of a beautiful old hutch.

But most of all, we wanted the kitchen to be the heart of the house, and it really is. I can honestly say that we don't sit in the living room anymore!

We started the project in May and it was completed in December. The past few weeks have been spent getting the finishing details (stools, etc). Along with the kitchen, we rewired the house, excavated down to a new laundry room, added storage, repainted everything, redid the bathroom in the basement etc etc... It was a house reno disguised as a kitchen addition.

We didn't work with a designer - the ideas were ours, brought to life by our GC - and primarily me spending *hours* right here with all of you dear GWerÂs. So THANK YOU for all of your generosity, your advice, your wisdom and your passion for all things TKO Â I wish I could throw a giant GW party to give you all a big hug!

Top notes (feel free to contact me if you have questions):

Soapstone counters

Custom cabinetry

Liebherr fridge

TurboChef double ovens

BlueStar cooktop with centre grill

Modern-Aire hood

Walker-Zanger backsplash

Miele Excella full dishwasher

FP Dishwasher Drawer

Kohler faucets: potfiller, main sink, prep sink

Hardware perimeter cabinets: Whitechapel

Hardware island and fridge: architectural salvage from Old Good Things in NYC

Bar stools from America Retold

Fair warning  my album has lots of pix  I just couldnÂt bear not to include the details.

Eliz

Comments (135)

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA