SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Kitchen sink drain started leaking

jerry_nj
13 years ago

I installed a new drain Spud and strainer, nice stainless steel and the basket has a threaded connection to the Spud, making closing the drain very nice. I purchased it at Lowes within the last 18 months, don't recall exact date.

Tonight I noticed the dishwasher soap box was wet on the bottom as was the previous box. I decided to get down on the floor and take a look. To my surprise I found the water was coming not from the pipes, but from the drain Spud, the Spud nut wasn't tight. There seems no reason for that, never happened to me before must have been a poor installation I think. As I hand tighten the Spud nut it moves up for a couple of turn and then drops back... threads must be shot, but why? I took the Spud out and gave it a careful inspection and the threads are to the eye still there, not stripped. It is as if the Spud net expanded a small amount, just enough so that the threads don't overlap sufficiently to tighten.

This something anyone else has seen? I plan to go to Lowes (it is the closest) again and buy a new Spud nut or a whole assembly... h@ll I just may install a garbage disposal in stead. I am on a septic system, but I have though it would be nice to have a garbage disposal any way, use it just to clear the sink of the few items that get caught in the basket... not use it to dispose of garbage.

Comments (4)