SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

Black Galaxy Granite. Anyone Still Use it?

monicakm_gw
13 years ago

When I first saw BG ten years ago, it was everywhere (if you could afford it!) Granted I don't see a lot of it these days but what I see isn't as pretty as it used to be. The blacks aren't as black and the gold and bronze sparkles are smaller and more sparse. In 02 we remodeled our kitchen. We have Baltic Brown countertops. It's nice but it was my first (and uneducated) experience with shopping for granite. I thought what the store had was all there was to be had! (lol) I don't dislike it but would have chosen something else had I known there was 100s of choices. Anyway, in 07, we knocked out a wall and added a peninsula to the kitchen. We were lucky enough to find a near perfect match to the BB for the peninsula. Nearly 4 years later and the base of the peninsula is STILL NEKKID because we couldn't decide what to wrap it in. I wanted BG all along and thought of 3/4" squares on a 12x12 mat. DH didn't like the idea. Last week he asked what I thought about BG in 4x18" strips/planks laid out (I think) like a wood floor pattern. YES! So I made a call to my favorite granite guy and asked him to find me the blackest BG with the largest amt of good size gold and bronze flecks he could find. A trip to Dallas, a visit to 3 vendors and 2 weeks later he called me to tell me he had my sample. I drove 50 miles trying not to get my hopes up. OMGosh!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the most perfectly patterned, blackest black and full of sparkles I've ever seen in a BG granite! I could have kissed him! :) But it's almost too pretty :o I'm going with it anyway because it's "what I love". I'm thinking since the granite will be under the countertop, that it won't be as visually breathtaking and won't fight for attention (and WIN) with the Baltic Brown. This can also act as a tip for those just starting to look for their dream granite. DON'T choose a slab (or tile for that matter) from the samples in the store. Always choose your slab at the granite yard. No two are alike. And if it's tiles, see if your granite guy will work with you and find current samples. Here you can see our poor nekkid bar base (lol)

Monica

Comments (5)