SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leslie2004

is a new toilet really necessary?

leslie2004
9 years ago

We had the guts replaced by a plumber 2 months ago because our 20 year old Kohler wasn't filling right - neither my husband nor I felt qualified to try the job (sorry if that makes us completely incompetent but we know our limitations in life and skillsets!).

Within 2 months of the new guts being installed I noticed it was refilling itself just a bit every once in a while. It took over an hour for dye to come through into the bowl when I put food coloring in the tank so I assume that means a very slow leak. The plumber came back and put his own dye in - since it didn't show right away I don't know that he believed me completely but he did swap out the flapper. We also had to endure a sales pitch on a full-house carbon filter and scare tactics on chlorine causing damage to rubber gaskets, cancer, etc. and also had to hear that toilets don't last forever and since this was was 20 years old the whole thing might need to be replaced. Also got pitched their maintenance program which we were strongly encouraged to sign up for. All of that very annoying considering he was coming back to fix a job they didn't do right the first time and we'd also gotten the sales pitches the first time the initial plumber came out. I guess he was just doing what his boss makes them do...

He put another dye tab in the tank before he left and again within a couple hours the bowl was dark blue. So I called back and scheduled for a third appt. I had tried to do some research and asked the third guy when he came if it could be the flapper seat - maybe the seal wasn't sealed right when they replaced it. He said if that flapper seat was the problem it would cause a big leak out of the tank onto the floor when we flushed. He told us he thought a hairline crack in the ceramic was the cause and there was no remedy but replacing the whole toilet.

He stressed that it wasn't caused by them replacing the guts originally 2 months ago - just a fact that older toilets can develop cracks and possibly by replacing things - air hitting the area I think he said - brought it on but it was not CAUSED by them - so no responsibility on their part. I kept saying that it was not doing that before they changed out the guts so they must bear some responsibility but he was adamant that�s just something that could happen and they can�t control it or prevent it.

I asked if there WAS a crack is there a way to fix that with epoxy or something or could it possibly just be grit or some surface roughness between the flapper seat and bottom of the tank - he said no, he felt the slowness of the leak meant it was not a bad seal but rather a hairline crack.

He changed out with a different style of flapper and again said we should think about getting the toilet replaced.

With the 2nd new flapper there is still a slow leak. My questions are:

1. Do I keep pursuing this with the same company and tell them they need to reinstall a new flapper seat (or do something else with another part of the mechanism?)? The last guy seemed very firm that he wasn�t doing that but should I speak to the shop manager and try to make that happen?

2. Or is it possibly true as he said, a bad seat seal would not be a super slow leak it would be a bad leak so it must be something else?

3. Should I continue by just calling another plumber and starting over or is the same thing likely to happen? The first service was very expensive, I thought, and they haven�t charged again but I don�t like continuing to work with a company I now feel not very good about. In addition to possibly causing a new problem and not taking responsibility in any way, and trying to push us to buy a new toilet I really think the sales pitch for the various things is in bad taste � especially when coming out to fix something they didn�t fix right.

Sorry to go on forever, any suggestions?

Comments (14)