SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gtrshop

Front Load Washer -Looking for the DEFINITIVE answer .

gtrshop
14 years ago

We have a Whirlpool Duet HE washing machine. Every time it is run (and only the first cycle, I might add) the laundry room smells like a septic system. OF course the smell spreads from there to other adjacent rooms. My wife tells me that it's got to do with the internal plumbing of the washer and the funky water that gets left behind. I have read it has to do with P-trap. I know there is water in the p-trap before I start a wash load.

To accommodate her wishes, I have not hooked the machine directly into any of the house plumbing for drainage - it empties into a large plastic laundry tub... the drain hose lies in the bottom of the tub. She advised me that she read somewhere that hooking the front-loader drain hose directly into the house plumbing could cause some damage to the house plumbing and cause a bigger problem than just the smell we're currently living with.

The laundry room is right off the kitchen, and you can imagine how this smell could seriously affect appetite.

I would love to hear, once and for all, the proper way to hook a drain hose for a front loader /high efficiency washer to a house drain pipe. Bear in mind we're on a (healthy) septic system.

Thanks,

Steve

Comments (26)