SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheila53

MADE in America household goods?

thankurnmo
13 years ago

I just caught a bit towards the end of ABC evening news- a feature about finding stuff MADE IN AMERICA. Apparently they went through a family's home and took out everything that was NOT made in USA and tried to replace with items made in USA. I would love to find out more about the companies wondering if anyone else saw it and was intrigued as I was.

They were mentioning some companies for furniture- HARDEN, LEE, I dont remember more. For appliances, VIKING Stoves, and I think Wolfe.

Very interesting topic- no?

Comments (53)

• cardamon
    13 years ago

I am interested in this topic too. The house with all the things made in America looked really nice.My friends and I are very much aware of so much being made in China. It is an interesting subject and I'm wondering about how they will conclude it. I am much more discriminate in buying things that are needed instead of things that clutter up my life. I walk out of stores empty handed a lot more these days because there is so much of it made in China. I wonder about what materials they use in things like baking dishes, pans etc. if they are putting lead in childrens toys. I've picked up Spode dishes in Homegoods that are being made in China now. It is sad it has changed this way.

• barb5
    13 years ago

Last summer I bought a beautiful lamp made by Hubbardton Forge, made in USA. I think it may well become an heirloom in my family. It was not over the top expensive either.

This subject is very near and dear to my heart as well. I have a lot of Stickley furniture all of which I thought was made in America. A lot of it is. But I was very disappointed to see one table come in with a Made in View Nam sticker on it.I will continue to buy from Stickley but I will be sure to inquire about where the specific item is made.

Thanks for posting about this. And Lpb, I'll check out that website.

• Related Discussions

'made in America' this week on ABC news

Q

Comments (5)
    I went to a liquidation sale last week in the next town over. When I got there, I found out that the furniture business there (est. 1890) was closing their doors. Office supplies, tools, hardware, finished and partially finished furniture all for sale. Thirty+ jobs gone.
    ...See More

Excellent Home Office and Household Paper Management Advice, Link

Q

Comments (10)
    Interesting thoughts -- we could all improve on paperwork storage in our homes. Two things I think I'm doing well that differ from the above mentioned Script, and someone else might find some ideas in my methods: Taxes. Yes, like Script, I am scrupulous about maintaining records for my taxes. About a dozen years ago I went to the office supply and bought two big boxes of BRIGHT GREEN folders (green like money). I labeled them Taxes 2000 ... Taxes 2001 ... Taxes 2002 ... Taxes 2003 ... and so on. Given my family's typical lifespan, I made enough green folders to take me to age 110 -- probably more than I'll need, but I'm ready! They're all stored in my file cabinet, taking up very little space. Now when I receive anything tax-related -- a charitable receipt, an end-of-the-year bank statement, whatever -- I have a place to file it. In April, I have a place to file a copy of my taxes, and I can go back and see previous tax years. For the rest of my life, this system is in place. Death folder. Ours is a notebook. Two identical notebooks, actually, since we have two children. Our girls are young adults now, but they've never dealt with an estate -- even if they don't open it 'til they're old, it'll be useful to them. It contains a lot of stuff: - A personal letter to the two of them - A list of our wishes about funeral and items we'd like donated to various family members or charities - A list of things they must do immediately; it starts with going to our house and taking possession of the dog, but it also includes small details like canceling our voting registration and destroying any medicines in the house. At every turn this list includes addresses and phone numbers, including the lawyer we suggest for probate, the funeral home our family's always used, and family members who should be contacted. - A copy our will; they know what's in it -- everything split between the two of them - A list of our financial assets -- bank accounts, investments, insurance, deeds/maps of real estate ... when our youngest became a legal adult, we made the two girls co-beneficiaries of every account; note that this was done before either was married, so our two kids -- not future son-in-laws -- will own these items. - A list of the bills we pay each month -- electricity, phone, even the guy who cuts our grass. - Official copies of our birth certificates, our marriage certificates, and the girls' birth certificates -- they might not be needed, but the girls won't have to scramble to find them - A flashdrive with all of the above in digital format plus photographs that might be useful in putting together the funeral Our rule: We keep two years of tax returns in the notebooks ... the reason being that someday an accountant will file our final estate tax return, and he or she will want our last two years of returns -- so every April we pull out the notebook, discard one old return and insert the newest ... so our rule is that every April we look over the notebook and update anything that's changed. For example, last year we changed bank accounts, and someday we hope to add items concerning grandchildren to the book. Our girls know that the notebooks are stored in the safe, and they know where the key to the safe is hidden, and they know it's labeled with a misleading name so that a thief wouldn't look at it twice. Last thought on this notebook: Though this project took us the better part of a year --- we kept remembering one more thing, one more thing that really should be included -- we didn't find it difficult emotionally. I suspect that if we were older and/or one of us were in poor health, it might've been different.
    ...See More

Household Items - Emergency Help For Pets

Q

Comments (0)
    from Good Morning America. good to have "just in case". Here is a link that might be useful: Household Items Helpful for Pet Emergencies
    ...See More

Desperate to find a three-sided wood fireplace made in America

Q

Comments (3)
    Are you looking for a gas or wood burning fireplace? Makes a big difference in your choices. Here's a gas fireplace from Heat-N-Glo: https://www.heatnglo.com/products/foundation-pier-gas-fireplace
    ...See More
  • silvergirl426_gw
    13 years ago

This is a topic near and dear to me too. For another eye-opener, read The Year Without Made in China by Sandra Bongiorni, about her attempt to live for a year without buying anything from China. Virtually ALL sneakers are made in China; ditto appliances and most toys, even the computer you're typing on. You cannot get a lamp harp made in America. They don't exist. Look at the labels on your clothes -- again very little is made here. It is heartbreaking to see whole industries reduced to nothing. That is why I never shop in big box stores. Most of what is sold in Walmart is made in China. Things there may be cheaper, but they're cheaper in quality too. And they are destroying America's economy. It may take a little more effort, and cost a little more, but to me it's worth it.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

I'm interested in this also. It's so hard to find made in America products. I agree, this is destroying our economy.

Fisher Paykel now has an american plant - I believe in Ohio. (appliances)

We practically boycott Walmart.

tina

• natal
    13 years ago

I am much more discriminate in buying things that are needed instead of things that clutter up my life.

I travel that same road too these days. Not to say I don't buy the occasional frivolous thing (like the Easter rabbit I just picked up from PB), but less is more is a mantra I try to embrace.

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Man-O-man...This will be an important thread I think!!

As some of you know, I'm in the retail-hardware industry/paint.
    >>> At least most paints are made in the good-ol' USA!
    (although my fave FPE comes from Europe obviously!)

ACE paints: Made in Chicago for over 25 yrs. now.
    Ralph-Lauren & C2...obviously made here too. RL used to be made by ICI Paints, a large world-wide outfit. NOW, RL-paints are owned by Akzo-Nobel, an even BIGGER conglomerate! But they're still MADE here.

The "painting accessories" category tho'...wellllll....unfortuneately, that's fairly heavy in the "China" category. Yes, Purdy-brush still has factory(s) here.

Sprayway window/etc. cleaners are made here. Had to mention that, 'cuz we sell tons of it, and it's my fave too. I'd get hung if we didn't have it! The "Holy Cow" cleaners are made here I believe also.
    Now when I think about it, most cleaning products are made here I guess!!

Faron

• amielynn
    13 years ago

My latest addiction is Amish Furniture. Good old fashioned quality furniture (not a speck of plywood or MDF or laminate!) that will last! And now they have so many styles to choose from! But heavens it is EXPENSIVE!

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

No affiliation here, but I recently learned of a company that makes furniture here in Indiana: Smith Brothers of Berne. I haven't seen any of the furniture myself, but a friend was impressed with it. We also have many Amish furniture stores in Indiana as well, but the style is very limited (Shaker, Mission, etc.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Smith Brothers of Berne (Made in US)

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I've seen a lot of things lately with "Made in India" on them. I'm not being political or anything, but it made me a little happy I bought something that wasn't made in China. I know, still NOT USA.

I have always told my husband I have an eye for Italian Design (can pick out pieces made in Italy without any trouble, especially in Home Goods' furniture section), but yet, I have a "Made in China" budget. This happens with a lot of stuff. I'll see something I love, but think it's too pricey, but then find something that is very similar, much better priced, and then bam, NOT made in USA.

I too try to buy USA products as much as possible. Hey I even try to purchase food from local resources as much as possible--I now have a milkman delivering my dairy from a local dairy. How's that? In glass bottles, too.

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

Hoosiergirl - you beat me to it. I was going to mention Smith Brothers also. I had my previous sofa and loveseat 24 years (recovered once). Have had my second set for two years. Their website is terrible though. You have to call them to find a distributor in your state. The store I purchased mine from had a nice selection of fabric samples, wood samples for legs and trim, and fringe and welting samples for the pillows. Very decent prices. Frame is guaranteed for 25 yers; cushion inserts the lifetime of the furniture if no reupholstery done. Had my furniture in about 4 weeks. My retailer said they were always timely with their deliveries.

Tuesday

• tess70
    13 years ago

I believe most of the furniture from Room and Board is made in the USA.

• kelbie
    13 years ago

I found it ineresting that the appliances in the kitchen they replaced with were the high end stuff - Wolf, Viking, all else is only partly made in the us, plus they still can't find a coffee pot made 100% in the USA. But they used Vaughn-Bassett for the bedroom furniture, Harden for coffee table (at $1500!) and Lee couches. Fiesta ware for dishes. We are trying very hard not to buy made in China furniture.....right now considering a Masterfield sectional.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Here's another Made in USA Paint product:

I know I've mentioned this product once or twice. Small Wall is one of my custom vendors; they make special 12" CIRCLE-SHAPED paint color sample boards for me.

The general consumer can buy regular, SQUARE sample boards at Sherwin Williams, ACE and Amazon. They are actually a great value because you can use them - paint them - multiple times. Made in USA and also eco-friendly.

Julie is the owner and the fact that she keeps everything associated with her product Made in the USA made a HUGE impact on my decision to welcome her into my circle. (ha! Get it? Puns are fun. :~D)

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Wall Sample Boards

• patty_cakes
    13 years ago

"God Bless the USA"..if you buy antique/vintage furniture, you *will* be buying American. ;o)

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Not necessarily, Patty. I buy a lot of accessories from France and England. Most dealers have no idea where the hardwood pieces come from (beyond where they purchased) unless the style/design is a dead giveaway. I know I have a few French, English and German pieces. Some American.

I always look to see where something is made. Never buy Made in China plastic or glazed anything - not even for my pets. Only buy them Made is USA toys. Hard to find!

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Amen Patty! Although I get what Allison is saying. Most of our antiques are from the US though.

tina

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

For any of you that have Menard's hardware stores in your area (a midwest company), I've noticed that their Sunday ads have a sign next to the products that are "Made in USA" and they have a LOT of items that are US produced. I love that feature!

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

The US furniture industry is trying to level the playing field. This is just the list for Chinese wooden bedroom furniture imports in 2010.
    I have heard furniture reps brag of the fact that their imported leather furniture is better than US made because the environmental standards are so lax in other countries, which makes manufacturing much cheaper.

Here is a link that might be useful: 180 Chinese manufacturers face review

• emilynewhome
    13 years ago

I have some really nice' RADA' kitchen knives that are made in USA, that my daughter and SIL gave me!

• patty_cakes
    13 years ago

Whoops, my bad Allison. You are sooo right on this~~those auctions I go to on a regular basis are usually real French pieces, so definitely not USA made. The American antiques don't hold my interest, but I would think they were all USA made back then. As a kid I don't remember too many things being made in other countries, just those little paper fans. What about the stuffed animals you could win at fairs/carnivals? I wonder about those......;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: auctions..

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

The main idea behind buying American-made is to provide work for Americans. Unfortunately, buying used furniture/antiques doesn't do that. It helps the small businessperson but so does buying made in china goods from a local dealer.
    Dee

• sashasmommy
    13 years ago

amielynn, I'm with you on the Amish furniture. I bought an Amish bedroom set several years ago and it's super high quality woodwork. Because I was single, I bought a full size bed, but now that I'm married, we need a bigger bed. I did not want to relegate my gorgeous furniture to the guest room, so we bit the bullet and went back to the same store and ordered a king size bed, different style that hubby liked, but had it made in the same wood and the same stain as my existing furniture. I imagine it might be a little different in color when we get it due to the fact that it changes color as it ages.

We also bought a trestle table and 6 chairs that were on clearance... the table has four leaves and when you pull the table apart to put the leaves in, there are actually metal gears in there that slide the table apart! I can pull it from one end by myself and open it up.

I was putting felt on the bottom of the dining room chairs the other day and I noticed that every chair had the signatures of the people who had built it on the bottom in black marker. Three different people built my chairs (one signed her name with a smiley face :-)

If you are looking for Amish furniture that's not mission style, check out Simply Amish and see if there's a store in your area that can order it. They may not carry it in the store, but they may be able to order it. You can see what the stuff looks like in the catalog, and even though you can't see it in person, rest assured that it's the best quality. If they can order it, they probably have stain samples, so you can at least see that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simply Amish

• debbie1000
    13 years ago

A couple of months ago we were at one of those really high-end Scandinavian furniture stores (just looking, too much $ for us!) and we went into the clearance area where there were still boxes. We just happened to see on the box that it said "made in China"--I guess maybe just "the box" was made in China but who knows.

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

CAPITAL ranges are made in the good 'ol USA. and they are fabulous!

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

"I have heard furniture reps brag of the fact that their imported leather furniture is better than US made because the environmental standards are so lax in other countries, which makes manufacturing much cheaper."

That's the saddest reason I've ever heard. Don't these folks care about the environment everywhere?

Great Thread

• thankurnmo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was telling DH about this and couldn't remember anything about the TVs - does anyone know what brand TV they got?
    Also as a side note, I re-did my master bath and have been searching for a new "tunbler" as the one we have been using is from the dollar store, plastic, and cracked. Every time I think I find something I like, it is either made in India or China, and frequently has the nerve to say not for food consumption. I mean really.talk about frutstraing.

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Here you go, sheilaaus122. Made in America and says it's virtually indestructible. Maybe you'll only have to buy it once.
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: Tervis tumblers

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

That's an awesome link, dee. I want to order 8 of the clear uninsulated. Plastic makes me wonder tho - anyone remember or know about the hoo-ha over plastic sports bottles etc.? Bisphenol A or BPA free is what *they* say to look for. I wonder if Tervis is BPA free. . .

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

I have looked everywhere for every day dishes made in US or Europe. Everything is made in China and I believe their glazes leach lead. I would buy European dishes but even expensive china (English, German, Italian), is not made in Europe anymore. They are mostly made in China.

If anyone knows where to buy everyday dishes, please post.

I heard Donald Trump say he ordered windows for a building from an American Company and found out the glass was made in China!

Jane

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

Below is a link to a site that lists products made in the USA. There are some good lists there.

Fiesta Ware is still made here. We've had our set-for-four for at least 15 years and it's wearing like iron.

Our dining room table is made by Borkholder, which is a Mennonite company simlilar to the Amish. It's about 20 years old and clearly will still be good for our grandson. It's a bit different - slightly more roundish and larger - than the tables that the company shows now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Born in the USA!

• lesterd
    13 years ago

Last year at about this time, we were in the market for a new barbecue grill. I had an "in" with Webers and was concerned about getting one without lead in the paint. I soon found out that the lower end Spirit Webers aren't made in the USA - made in China. We ended up with a prior year 2008 Genesis model because we were able to ascertain out that it was made in the USA.

• User
    13 years ago

I'm so glad this news article is creating the buzz that it has. We have a new sectional sofa arriving on Friday, Made in America by Broyhill. The quality may not be what some of the other manufactures mentioned here offer, but we only wanted a 10 year sofa and the price was reasonable and affordable.

In regards to not finding clothes made in America, I have found one with clothing that might appeal to some, the line can be found in Nordstroms. I'm not affiliated with the company at all, my sister told me about it some time ago. In FP story, they say "Fresh Produce continues to be primarily Made in the USA", so inquiry on specific items may be necessary.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fresh Produce

• rockmanor
    13 years ago

Funcolors, here's what I found on the Tervis FAQ page:

"Are Tervis tumblers BPA-free?
    We are committed to delivering the highest quality, most durable, and safest tumblers in the world. To that end we subject our tumblers to extensive testing by independent testing facilities to ensure that our product exceeds the strictest safety requirements of the FDA. In 2009, we began the process of converting our tumblers to Eastman Tritan� - a new generation polymer. This conversion enables us to eliminate a step in the manufacturing process of Tervis tumblers while upholding our quality standards. Furthermore, Eastman Tritan� contains no Bisphenol A. As of January, 2011, we have completed the transition of our entire line of Tervis tumblers to Eastman Tritan�. We will continue to search for new ways to enhance our offering and will strive to maintain our level of excellence."

I wonder what this means for the tumblers I bought last fall? I also wonder about sales on close-out designs. Were those tumblers produced before the change? Guess I need to email the company and ask. This may turn out to be a good excuse to buy some new styles.

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

jane_ny:
    Another manufacturer for everyday dinnerware is Hartstone Pottery, not too far from me. I've been there to purchase dinnerware, and the stuff is gorgeous. Each piece is signed by the person who paints the design. It's located in the heart of the historical pottery center of the country. They run specials all the time, sometimes up to 40% off.

I, too, am very passionate about this subject. I just had to purchase hardware for a cabinet DH is making for the laundry room, and puchased it from a place in Missouri, which had converted their company from manufacturing auto accessories to kitchen accessories. I'll admit I paid a whole lot more for the 2 handles and 4 knobs than I would have paid at Lowe's, but I think it's important to support the companies providing jobs.

Thanks for the link, sable_ca. I always check before buying something. Here's another:
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: Made in America

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

How'd you find that? I seriously clicked around but didn't see that info.

Thanks! Will definitely order now. Will also FaceBook.

Totally fed up with previous tumblers. Dishwasher safe. I put them top rack -always- and yet they crack and I'm not sure they are BPA free.

And I can not use glass with kids - must have plastic.

• rockmanor
    13 years ago

Jane, in addition to Fiesta Ware (which I love), Corelle dishes are also made in the USA except for their mugs (at least in the new sets.) I was dismayed last year when I received a large order of sets and found that the mugs were not the traditional Corelle material but were some sort of stoneware and they're made in China. Because I was on a tight deadline for a large luncheon, I kept the sets and disposed of the mugs. Due to the sale price, the cost of the sets was no greater than if I'd bought the individual plates and bowls. If I ever need more, I'll buy the separate pieces.

I also found a great deal on Libbey glass tumblers, made in the USA, at Costco. They were selling sets for $5 ea., so I bought eight.

Here's another vote for RADA knives. I did not expect much from them due to their prices, but was very pleasantly surprised.

• nancybee_2010
    13 years ago

Pyrex is made in the USA. Actually I don't know if all of it is, but my new baking pan is labeled that way.

• dawnp
    13 years ago

Funcolors,

We have been using Tervis Tumblers for 20 years. I love them because they don't leave a ring on the furniture.

The thing about Tervis is that they have a lifetime warranty. I find that mine do eventually wear out in the dishwasher. We have a family of five and use them everyday. I save them and when I get a few, I mail them to Tervis and they mail me brand new replacements. I only have to pay the shipping to mail them there.

Dawn

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

How is it possible I have never heard of Tervis tumblers?

I'm amazed. I have easily spent several hundred dollars, maybe even a thousand dollars over the years on cheap tumblers. As soon as I loose a few, I replace all 10 because I can't stand the mismatch on my shelves.

I swear I learn something new all the time! You guys rock.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Just wanted to add this wonderful product -- I order directly from the two guys that run this factory -- and Williamsville Wax is the BEST for my wood furniture -- especially for my old oak dining set and my bedroom set.

LOVE their customer service too! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Here is a link that might be useful: H.F. Staples Williamsville Wax for furniture

• chispa
    13 years ago

I like to drink my tea in a travel mug so that it stays nice and hot. It was impossible to find one that wasn't made in China. Right now I am using a stainless one that my DH had bought a while back, but I think it is also made in China - I never remember to look when it is empty!

I need to look online for other alternatives. We have a large sports store nearby and I had one of the guys looking through all their camping mugs/thermos and everything was made in China. He commented that he had never noticed.

I have some food thermos for the kids that are made in Sweden, but I bought them when we spent some time living abroad. I'll have to google that brand and see if I can get it online. It gets harder and harder to find products not made in China.

• lesterd
    13 years ago

Some of the items that decorate our home have come from museum gift shops. It's good to see the Smithsonian is addressing this subject, too, by having a Made in the USA gift shop.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smithsonian Made in USA

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Ooo, that's cool too!

• thankurnmo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bumping cause this is worthwhile...............

• oceanna
    12 years ago

Great topic! This web site has over 2,400 products, all made in the USA:

Here is a link that might be useful: MadeinUSAForever.com

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

As an environmental studies major (along with art history and studio art) dd just secured an internship to help source American made and free trade products.

Here is a snippet from her proposal:

"As an independent small business owner, my mother is rightly concerned with the longevity of her business and price point is a huge aspect of that. She fears that from a financial standpoint, she is incapable of selling more sustainable goods: they won't turn a high enough profit...
    ....Through this internship, I hope to gain a better understanding of the impacts that Americans have as consumers on the rest of the world both socially and environmentally. Through this understanding, I hope to develop an efficient and effective model for locating, securing, and marketing products that are environmentally sustainable and socially responsible by formulating a list of criteria that will be applicable to any sector of retail."

I try to buy American home decor for the store when I can. As those of you in the South know, so many textile and furniture plants have closed in the last decade, it's time consuming and frustrating to buy responsibly. I am looking forward to her findings.

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks for bumping this up, Oceanna. I'm going to check out the sites mentioned. I'm off to buy potting soil tomorrow. I wonder if that's still made here.

• chispa
    12 years ago

Cisco Brother also makes furniture in the USA, Los Angeles area. www.ciscohome.net. They have retail stores in CA, but I have seen their products carried by stores in the northeast too. On the pricy side, but they will customize any of their pieces.

• amielynn
    12 years ago

I have Fiestaware dishes and those babies are awesome! Substantial but not too big or heavy and man do they take a beating! I'm actually thinking of getting a new set to match my new houses dining/kitchen but part of me feels awful cause the ones I have still have so much life left in em! Maybe I should CL them.

I can't stress the Amish Furniture enough, and the place I go through here in South Texas has soooo many different styles, lots more than the Mission or Amish styles. They had many many contemporary and traditional styles. Though I just ordered 6 new chairs for my 30+ year old butcher block table and Geez it was expensive! I to be fair I have been searching for 5 years for chairs that fit the scale of the table and weren't going to fall apart, and I found nothing!

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

All Clad has a few parts on their pots made in China, and I've been told they are clearing those out so they can claim in the future that everything in their line is made in the U.S.A. Rivets, or handles, I can't remember what it is.
    A clerk at Bloomie's told me that last week when they were having 60% off on certain pots; nevertheless I bought a gigantic stockpot I needed , at that sale price.