SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Plumbing Nitemare - vent pipe questions???

Debbie Downer
16 years ago

I have an old 2 flat ( live in 2nd fl apt.) & the plumbing is a bit of a nightmare. In order to put in cabinets in 2nd floor apt. the plumber removed the vent pipe that was coming up from the first floor apt. and connecting to the 2nd floor apartments vent pipe going out the roof. He said we can just put in one of those valve things for the first floor plumbing.

Now another plumber says no they shouldn't have done that and proposes to cut into wall and cabinet to reconnect to the vent pipe.

I did a search on this forum and gather that the valve is not a desireable way to deal with the vent gasses. According to this second plumber, the building code says you can use it for sink or plumbing which is far away from your main vent stack but if you can hook it into the main vent you should.

This does not make sense to me. Either something is safe or it is not. The first plumber still says that the valve is fine for this particular situation bc otherwise we've got all these stupid vent pipes snaking around the first floor (they don't fit into the walls due to how the house is constructed out of concrete block.)

I really don't want my house to blow up so if I have to I'll do what needs to be done. But I want to know for sure what my options are & what is the correct info and what is not!

Also BTW, is there any reason plumbing can't vent out the WALL instead of up thru a house and out the roof? That could be a way of dealing with the first floor plumbing.

In the meantime, theres just been a plug in that vent pipe for about a year, & no vent. We're very overwhelmed and far behind with our kitchen remodel. I'm paranoid now imaging gases building up in there and about to blow! EEEK! Plumber #1 never said that it was dangerous.

Comments (5)