SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harriethomeowner_gw

What does this mean? Kind of long ...

harriethomeowner
16 years ago

I've been posting about my 17-year-old cat, who was first diagnosed with renal failure and then with probable cancer as explanations for why he has stopped eating. Although he's become lethargic and seems somewhat uncomfortable, I haven't seen the usual signs (according to all the references I've read over the past couple of weeks) of either disease. He has not been throwing up (which one would expect with either a small intestine tumor or with kidney failure, right?), his fur looks good, he's been urinating in his litter box every day, and he has been fairly alert and responsive.

The first vet recommended euthanasia based on kitty's blood test. The second vet recommended euthanasia after he did an ultrasound and saw what he thought was a large tumor and after he did another blood test and the numbers were worse. We decided to keep giving him fluids because it seemed to make him more comfortable and have been waiting until it seems he's ready to go. All day yesterday, he seemed especially lethargic, and I've been preparing myself for the end.

But there's been a new development: Over the past couple of days, he's passed several healthy-looking stools (unfortunately, they got stuck on his fur -- he's long haired -- so we had to clean him up). He hasn't had a bowel movement in over two weeks, and the only food he's had in the past few weeks has been several cans of cat food that he wolfed down after Valium treatments. We had asked if the mass they saw on the ultrasound could be partially digested food, but they said no. Now we're wondering.

It's Sunday, and this doesn't exactly amount to an emergency, so I don't think it warrants calling the vet. Kitty actually seems to feel better now.

So not sure what to do ...

And btw, I originally took him to the vet in August because he was constipated and I thought that's why he wasn't eating much. They never addressed that issue.

Comments (12)