SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
graywritingdog

OT: HGTV dream home give away...reaction

graywritingdog
16 years ago

Did anyone watch this year? What did yout hink about the winners reaction?

I know that people react in alot of differnt ways but....

How could someone win almost a $3 million home and new car and just sit there?

"Thanks?"

I would have been jumping, crying, hugging the host. I would have to be sedated to calm down.

Either she knew (they tell the family so they can all be there when the winner is told) or she was in shock.

I was disapointed in the reaction. I like to see people go nuts it almost makes the months of hard work and millions of $$$ worth it.

My DH said "What would you do if you were watching this live and saw them outside the town house, you open the door and they go to the neighboors?"

LOL, cry.

Comments (74)

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

I don't see why anyone would pull out because of the taxes, you sell it and whatever you get is more than you started out with .

• dgmarie
    16 years ago

Here's a link to the outcomes of the past dream home winners

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dream_home_archive/article/0,1783,HGTV_11536_1898730,00.html

• Related Discussions

HGTV's 2009 Dream Home

Q

Comments (46)
    Funny how different things appeal to some and not others. My first thought when looking at the DR, is I hate the coral ceiling. It just made the room feel closed in. Ditto in the Bedroom - too dark of a color. Maybe if they had done 50% of the wall color, but to me it just looks like they were lazy and didn't want to trim out the ceiling. I'm not a huge bright white ceiling person, but a creamy white would have been perfect. Also not loving the kitchen color. That wall color does nothing to highlight the lovely cabinets. I love the exterior of the house. I think they did a great job architecturally with capturing the old farmhouse style with the window sizing and trim and porch. I think the inside should have been done more in keeping with the style of the house - not necessarily country, but less contemporary. I was expecting a beautiful quaint home, but instead saw a sparse contemporary bright colored house. I actually thought the LR was one of the prettiest rooms - maybe I'd have done a slightly different shade of blue, but overall it was very nice. That picture over the fireplace being the first thing you see when coming in was just wrong - again too contemporary for that house. OK, I'm done venting.
    ...See More

The new HGTV Dream Home

Q

Comments (14)
    Terriks is right, the new dream home is in New Mexico. Actually, if you win it, you'll be neighbors with my best friend. I haven't seen it in person yet, but have done the photo tour online. DillyDally's comment on the house color made me chuckle. Unlike most other places in our country, out here we like our homes to be one of the colors of the earth, so that they blend into the landscape. That's so the focus is on the beautiful views, instead of colored houses that stand out. Anyhoo, that's just the way we think out here. I definitely love to see nicely or even brightly colored homes elsewhere, though. That said, this newest dream home is certainly a very Contemporary one. I like many of it's features, including the theater room, but prefer a more Spanish Colonial or Western home myself. The biggest problem I see with the Dream Home is it's back patio. The overhead covering is minimal and that will be a huge PIA out here come Summer. This is a High Desert area, not Low Desert like Phoenix, but our elevation is high (probably 5,000-6,000 there at the house) and the sun, is intense in the Summer, which is May through the end of September, at least, here. Out here, we like the major part of our patios to be covered. We also like windbreaks for our patios, either natural ones like trees or walls. I wonder how windy that patio will end up being? Another potential problem I see with the house is it's glass garage doors. From a security standpoint, you don't want everyone to be able to see if you're home or not . . . or what you have in your garage. JMHO. Even a security gate at the driveway won't keep potential burglars totally away. My best friend has one out there, so I know. Lynn
    ...See More

2015 HGTV Dream Home....Finally!

Q

Comments (74)
    "It's my understanding that most winners stay in the house as a vacation, pick a few of the nicest decor pieces -- and the vehicle-- then sell it. Otherwise most won't be able to pay the taxes." then they pay a ton in taxes... back a time I worked with a number of auditors. They said never spend even a night there - it'll cost ya big money. and yes, taxes, heating, cooling would be way up there! This home doesn't hold much interest to me. I saw it coming on and changed the channel. Just for fun if I see it on again, I'll watch it. I usually don't like any of the décor in those homes. Most homes those designer/teams people do on the shows would make me scream "noooooooooooooooooo!".
    ...See More

Missing prep sink: HGTV Dream Home 2016

Q

Comments (37)
    g@xedos is right, this is all about the product placement. There is nothing inherently wrong with a cool palette, especially in this location. In the before photos, you can see the kitchen originally only occupied the small recessed area and there was a long peninsula down one side. In this sense, xedos is only partially right --- there was no island but definitely they chose this odd layout because it shows better. There was a breakfast nook that has been removed. One element that had me puzzled, the Viking fridge (vs. the Thermador sponsor), is there as it is a carry-over item from the original. They are heavily restricted to featuring the major elements from the sponsors. However, that does not excuse the designer from making good decisions among the stuff they have to work with. I think it's also important to see the kitchen in the context of the great room and the patio/pool. I found this photo: Some of the decisions come more into context when you see the full view. You can see the nailhead repeat move from the sofas to the stools to the hall chests. I still don't think there is enough to make the kitchen design elements work -- and the designer still gets no "pass" when it comes to the bathroom tile that ended up on the wall (which I have -- in my hall bathroom). You would have thought the tile sponsor would have some other suitable alternative.
    ...See More
  • jant
    16 years ago

To those who think it's easy to sell a $2-3MIL home, especially in areas where there is very litte industry (read jobs or careers!)AND in a horrible RE market currently...think again. And what if taxes are due before you sell it??? Sure you can lowball it but even then a lot of these dream homes are in kinda "funny" locations that have limited appeal to most.

Happy to see more respondents here agree with the fact that she was treated with very little sensitivity. And Lake was obnoxious BEFORE she entered the house...right then I said to myself, "OH BOY....here we go."

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

I actually loved the winner's reaction. It was obvious that the family knew that something was up. The HGTV lady was obnoxious. She just kept going on and on about how wonderful it was to win not only a house, but flooring from Lumber Liquidators, a pet house, etc. And what was with her just walking into the house? She didn't ring the bell, and actually opened the door before she knocked. I think that my reaction would be who the he!! are you and what are you doing in my house... unless I had already been clued in to expect to have my home invaded by a TV crew.

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

Not to mention that the house is on the Florida Keys. I can only imagine how much insurance will be (friends of mine who don't live in central florida rather inland are paying thousands a year for a $130k house). I wonder if they got hit with an insurance premium bill for tens of thousands of dollars that has to be paid right now. I mean, we are not in hurricane season yet but if a hurricane takes that house out they'd still be on the hook for income tax on the $3M prize and they'd have nothing to show for it.

It will be interesting to see if any of the reporters pick up on that aspect of it.

The market in FL is BEYOND abysmal right now. A friend of mine has been trying to sell her house for well over a year in a much more desirable and accessible location for half the price of that house. I don't think you can give away homes right now in that area.

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

I haven't seen the winner's reaction, and I'm taking this slightly OT by bringing this up, but this thread reminded me of the old "Let's Make a Deal" program that I've been seeing in syndication recently. What a hoot to watch the contestants get sooooooooo incredibly excited over winning $400 in cash, or a console tv, or a pair of Barcaloungers! I mean, these people were stoked! A real trip down memory lane, too, when people guess the prices of items. A 75-foot roll of Reynolds Wrap for 25 cents. How times have changed!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Marie, thanks for the link. Interesting but not surprising that nobody kept their homes. Still, they all came out of it with money, so who among us would turn it down?

• uxorial
    16 years ago

I thought this comment was interesting. Posted a couple months ago on Tripadvisor's Florida Keys forum.

...I think it is going to be much more of a burdon than an asset. The $2 mil values are based on 2006 pricing when Real Estate in Fl were Hot. The Place is likly not worth much more than 1 million. Gift taxes are usually upwards of 50%, real estate Taxes, closing costs, hazard insurance, Flood (why did they put living space on the lower level) as well as Home owners fees are all the responsibility of the winner, (in fine print). If you read the "blogs" on HGTV some accountant estimated you would need to owe about $850,000 after winning it. In years past, you could take out a mortage ( lein) on the property to pay this and Lending tree gave you $250,000 to help with montly payments. But not this year, you are on your own. Every Floridian can tell you it is not Uncommon to see houses for sale in the neigborhood that have been on the market for 2 yrs now. What if it does not sell right away. Why has the developer not sold the other 6 lots ? If you were going to spend 2 million would you want one of the lots closer to the water and one you could customize, without a refigerator in the closet?

• mclarke
    16 years ago

I think the winner was admirably restrained. I would've slapped the hysterical woman in the red suit and thrown her out of my house.

• runninginplace
    16 years ago

"The market in FL is BEYOND abysmal right now. A friend of mine has been trying to sell her house for well over a year in a much more desirable and accessible location for half the price of that house. I don't think you can give away homes right now in that area."

Actually this isn't true. The only houses that *are* selling right now are high end in this area, including the keys. I'm in Miami and have a ton of relatives down there, all of whom have either bay or ocean front property.

What's going on is that at the million+ price level we're seeing a combination of a flood of European well heeled buyers who are drooling because the exchange value is so favorable and also Latin American wealthy who are seeking safe harbor for not only money but families in property in the US-and they far and away prefer their getaways to be in South Florida. With Chavez in Venezuela, FARC in Colombia, and kidnapping all over the region at record highs, there is no shortage of buyers for houses like that one. On top of that Florida has some of the strongest laws in the country governing bankruptcy protection through real estate (your homesteaded property can't be seized) so every crook who gets in trouble makes sure to lock up a bundle in a waterfront spread in Florida. A lot of masters of the universe who aren't in trouble-yet-buy second or third homes down here just to be on the safe side.

So they won't have a problem selling at least.

Ann

• prairiegirlz5
    16 years ago

This discussion reminds me of the backlash Oprah got for giving away cars on her show. And the "winners" only bought a ticket to a talk show, they didn't enter a contest.

These people entered the contest, it was their responsibility to read the fine print, in the event that they actually won the prize.

I do agree her reaction looked weird, probably because she is not a trained actress. But HGTV showed very poor taste barging right into her home. In my neighborhood, that can have serious consequences LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Oprah Car Winners Hit with Hefty Tax

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

I guess if you're a "winner" of something, you can always choose not to accept the prize, right?

• jan_in_wisconsin
    16 years ago

Call me odd, but I can't say that I would mind someone barging into my home to tell me I won a multi-million-dollar dream home :o) ~ Barge away!

The winner seemed strangely "underwhelmed" as Les mentioned, and if she didn't want the home, with all of the related taxes and insurance, etc., then why did she enter the contest? I hope she was truly just terribly nervous and that she will appreciate and enjoy the fantastic prize.

Jan

• oceanna
    16 years ago

There have been a lot of good guesses here as to what went wrong, although they're all just guesses. The one thing we all agree on (if we watched it) is that something did indeed go wrong. I hope whatever it was HGTV learns from it and won't repeat it.

And Jan, I'm with you. Everything sells pretty quickly if you reduce the price enough, and it's hard to imagine the winner not coming out with something in the plus column.

• redbazel
    16 years ago

I never watch this show and only caught the youtube video, but I felt really bad for Stephanie. She was so stressed and the hostess person was practically screaming. I was watching it in my bedroom and my 21 year old DD came and got on my bed to watch t.v. She could hear the Youtube video and asked if the lady with the mike was on drugs---she was so loud and annoying. When I told her she was surprising the blonde with a new home, my DD said "Well, she's not doing it very kindly and I feel sorry for that girl!"

Red

• decorpas
    16 years ago

amity

I noticed the head scratching, too- and then if you look closely, it looked like she had stitches there or something. hmm...

she was crying, too, so I'm not sure she can be faulted with not reacting. She seemed like someone who was really embarrassed to be having emotions in front of the entire world. I felt bad for her. I think they should have reshot it, at least a wrap-up sound bite from her after she'd had a chance to grasp everything.

• mcbird
    16 years ago

I too thought Lauren Lake was horribly overbearing even before she got to the door. I can tell you, if that were my friend and I saw her agonizing that way the HGTV folks could kiss my butt, I'd be comforting my friend. I felt like I was watching the stupid lie detector show on Fox instead.

• annzgw
    16 years ago

I also think it was horrid what they put her thru. Since I'm one that tends to freeze when I see a camera rolling, I could feel her pain!
    The majority of these things are staged so yes she probably knew it was going to happen, but my guess is she didn't know it was going to be that bad!

If any of you here have been in front of a TV camera then you're aware at how bright those lights are. For me, they're literally blinding and if I had been in her position I would have been trying to avoid the lights any way I could.

Give her a break.......she's not there to entertain us.

• amcofar
    16 years ago

I didn't think Lauren Lake was that obnoxious. I like her, and I assume she was following her director's orders. Anyway, the winners seemed overwhelmed and shocked, especially the woman. Bless her heart. The couple's baby is adorable! I hope it works out well for the family. My sister was convinced that she'd win. Now, I can tell you all for sure you'd have seen quite a show if she had.

• les917
    16 years ago

I have to disagree with all the people that are saying she had no idea what this would be like, that she wasn't prepared, etc. If she has watched HGTV and entered to win the house, she knew what happens, how the house is awarded, and what the commotion will be like.

I don't care for Lauren Lake, but I agree with those who said that she was trying to generate some response from the winner, trying to get some excitement in her reaction, because that is what is normal in these situations and that is what everyone watching is waiting to see. If they weren't, they could just pick a winner and post the name and be done with it.

I didn't see anything wrong with them walking in to the place - someone there knew what was happening - they always have in the past when they have shown up at places where the winner was gathered with others.

Even if the woman was overwhelmed in the first minute or two, at some point she had to realize what was happening and should have at least been more appreciative in some way.

• love-my-lilhome
    16 years ago

I was also very uncomfortable watching the video.
    Every one reads people different and my take on her is she would act that way in any situation.

Like meeting people for the first time, she would be one of those who would be nervous and fool with something(scratching her head maybe)or pushing her hair back to have something to do with her hands.
    I have been around backward ,non-talkative people and I try my best to keep a conversation going and its hard.

Maybe she knows she is doing it or maybe not.

I'm just sorry a couple didn't win it that would be junping up and down and so excited.

Put yourself in the host place. She was obnoxious but she had to try and make it exciting (which she couldn't)had to try and keep it upbeat (it wasn't).

I thought the whole thing was uncomfortable and embarrassing.

• justgotabme
    16 years ago

I rarely disagree with Les, when it comes to decorating anyway, but this time I'm going to have too. Even if Stephanie has watched all the previous Dream Home Give Away shows all she'd really know about is what happend in FRONT of the camera. Not all the commotion that goes on behind it. It would be entirely different watching it happen to someone else than it would be to have it happen to you in your own home.

Lauren Lake, was so comic in trying to get some big reaction out of Stephanie. Just like the lady in the SNL skit that Joanie linked to. It was down right funny! Yep, life does imitate art!

Whatever the reason for the different reactions, I still think this Dream Home thing is past it's time. I mean what percentage of HGTV viewers could just pick up and leave their homes and jobs and move to "wherever" at the drop of a hat? Not me, that's for sure. Could be that be why not one of the previous winners are living in their "dream home"?

Maybe it's time they changed Dream Home to a series where they could spend the same amount of money, along with the sponcers too ofcourse, and pick a winner before they build. Let the winner have a hand in where and what their dream home would be like. Personally I didn't care for this years architecture. Sorry HGTV....

• justgotabme
    16 years ago

Have any of you thought before you wrote such terrible things about someone you've never met in person that Stephanie may be a member here?

If she watches HGTV she may very well belong to decorating boards too.

• graywritingdog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nope, I never thought of that. It wouldn't change my opinion about her reaction, even if she was/is a member of this forum.

Personally I haven't read any "terrible" comments... what I have read was people's opinions. I started the thread, and wondered if people had the same reaction about her non-reaction as I did.

We make assumptions everyday. Without knowing it, you are constantly making unsubstanciated guesses about people.

The other day I was in wal-mart. The woman infront of me in line was dressed in a nice silk blouse, black pencil skirt and nice black heels. She was sleek and professional. I assumed she was a real estate agent or maybe in medical sales.

Well she pulled out a "food stamps debit card". My first thought about her when out the window. I had assumed that she was wealthy and she wasn't.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

I liked it better when Joan Steffand was the hostess. She's a real cutie pie and so down to earth.

• justgotabme
    16 years ago

graywritingdog, I agree that her reaction wasn't typical. However there *were* many things that members assumed, or guessed if you prefer, about Stephanie that I certainly wouldn't want other's to assume, OR guess, about me. My hubby has a saying that I don't care for, but it's often true. It goes something like this... remove U and ME from assume and what do you have left? I didn't mention who wrote what because I don't want to hurt anyone. I'm just hoping that anyone who writes from now on will think, "would I want someone to say this about me?" before they hit Submit Message. That's all.

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

If she is a member here, we'd love to hear from her. Nothing terrible was said above, only assumptions made on a public discussion forum, on the topic of a nation wide tv event. For me, that makes it open for opinions, and that's all we're doing here.

If she ever googles her name or the name of the show, she might very well stumble upon this discussion.

• perky_2
    16 years ago

I guess I am missing something. I don't see anything wrong with her reaction. Everyone responds differently to different situations. I didn't see a plastered mom in the video. She did scratch her head a few times but I'm not sure I would not have even noticed the scratching if I had not read about it before seeing the video. It looks like she was nervous.

If it were me I probably would have been nervous and in shock. I may have had an odd reaction too.

I really don't get the reaction to her reaction.

I hope the win will enhance their lives. They look like an adorable family.

I certainly hope she does not read this thread. The comments on the HGTV Dream Home MB are a shame. Knowing she would probably read it - why would people publicly humiliate someone like that? She is a person with feelings.

I don't usually participate in a thread of this nature and I try to keep my responses supportive. I fell strongly that she does not deserve the bashing she is getting.

Here is a link that might be useful: HGTV Dream Home MB

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

I agree that her reaction wasn't probably what we or the producers of the show would have hoped for when winning such a big prize.

But I would guess she's a pretty unemotional person, and maybe she was a bit embarrassed to have won such an expensive prize and didn't want to gloat and gush in front of her friends. Sometimes coming into a great deal of money (potentially if she sells at a good price!) is uncomfortable for people if the others around you aren't as well off.

I am surprised though at the unkind comments about her obviously being drunk - that wasn't a wine glass her husband took, it looked like a glass of sprite to me. Her voice was clear and calm, not shakey or silly like someone intoxicated. Why would anyone say such a mean thing about a total stranger? Also, I thought the husband was very nice and calm, how did anyone come up with them obviously having a fight before the video started. How could anyone possibly construe that bit of info from a 90 second video clip? If anything, the host was the most obnoxious. Who would ask - " How did you start your day on this most exciting occasion?" Now that was a silly question. What did she want her to say? I went out and did my nails and then visited my decorator to decide how I want to redo the entire house in FL??

She's a normal middle class American with two small kids, who won an expensive home she probably can't afford!

• jant
    16 years ago

Good grief...what a thread on HGTV. Poor Stephanie...a nice, quiet, very shy physician's assistant and mom who's being blasted cuz she "let down" all these sore losers. Interesting to see that all these condemning her think they're "owed" something as they lost. "What a let down!" "She doesn't deserve it!" over and over and over. Crying in their soup.

I LOVE the person over there who said, "SHY?? She's 31 yrs old!" Shy is NOT related to one's age. And most shy people would give ANYTHING not to be! (Having been painfully shy all through my teens I know how hard it is...it actually HURTS)

The envy is frankly downright sickening...especially when people start saying things like "did you see her baby humping the floor?? WEIRD man!"

It might behoove HGTV in the future to demand a video from each entrant demonstrating their ability to jump on furniture, outYELL Lauren Lake (if this is possible!) and generally behave in a manic manner.

I have a feeling Joan Steffand would have handled Stephanie MUCH differently and you just might have seen a different "performance" from Stephanie.

• graywritingdog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The envy is frankly downright sickening...especially when people start saying things like "did you see her baby humping the floor?? WEIRD man!"

I don't think anyone said THAT on here, I think that is disrespectful.

Everyone has their own views/opinion and I respect your's. There was some nasty things wrote about her on other sites and that is a shame.

Honestly, If I won't that house I wouldn't care about what was being said about me, I'd be smiling all the way to the bank. :-)

• decorpas
    16 years ago

As I stated earlier, I think she was overwhelmed. the people running the show probably wish they had the option to work with her a little, give her some time, but they may need to follow strict instructions about it being "real".

those lights and the crew and all of that can really overwhelm some people. It's no reflection on them as a person! You're not seeing "them", you're seeing a person who probably freezes when they have to give a public talk.

I have to interview people for TV shows sometimes, so I am very familiar with the way some people freeze up, while others eat it up. Luckily, I can work with them before and take a bit of time to let them settle in. During a pre-interview, I'll meet a gregarious, kind, funny person. then, the camera turns on, and it's stone-face, fear-stricken person! Let's wish her and her family well and have a friendly laugh with her about how freaked out she must have been.

And yes, the host was under some serious pressure to deliver a "show". I can just hear the producer in her ear. She did everything she could think of to create a moment. And clearly, it worked, because we're all still talking about it:-) now that's funny.

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

it wasn't the baby, it was the dog, that was funny , I didn't think anyone noticed it.

• jant
    16 years ago

"I don't think anyone said THAT on here, I think that is disrespectful."

graywritingdog....I said it was on the HGTV thread.

I guess it's just impossible for some people to understand how frozen many people get with camera lights in their face or in front of a crowd as was mentioned by the poster above. I was so shy I couldn't even practice giving oral reports to my parents for friends...never mind giving them in class. I'd take the "F". Thankfully there weren't many of them required and my grades were very good in everything else. It's really nothing anyone has ANY control over....it's much deeper than any "conscious" behavior.

• jant
    16 years ago

OK....here's a copy of the post regarding the baby that I read. Not HGTV but one of the MANY threads currently blasting her.

Quote:
    Originally Posted
    This is awkward television and, pay attention to the baby doing something creepy on the floor.

"Creepy? It looks like the baby is just getting to the point where she's learning how to crawl. That's why she's rocking back and forth because she's trying to learn how to get to where she wants to go. That's not creepy."

Somewhere else I had read the "humping" thing too. Lots of angry, unbalanced people in this world.

• valzone5
    16 years ago

"Also, I thought the husband was very nice and calm, how did anyone come up with them obviously having a fight before the video started. How could anyone possibly construe that bit of info from a 90 second video clip?"

I made that comment and I wasn't saying that it was obvious that they'd had a fight - just that they both seemed uncomfortable, as if they had a fight. I didn't think that I was slamming anyone - just saying that from what I could tell from the video (and it was limited, because there was no sound) that it seemed more discomfort than lack of enthusiasm.

• Molly Brown
    16 years ago

I read almost all the comments in this thread, but not every single one, so I apologize if someone asked this already.
    HOW do you win the house?? Don't you have to enter a contest or is the contest open to everyone on earth automatically ? If she DID enter herself into the contest, she should have expected this to happen, maybe a one in a million chance, but at least she had a chance.
    It's not like they gave the house to someone that didn't even want it. (I think...)
    So her reaction is a little odd, but, to each their own.
    I just think if SHE entered the contest, she would have known all this publicity might be happening and should've been prepared to 'act' a little bit for the cameras.
    Who knows.........

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I am hoping for a rerun after reading some of these posts. Don't want to read any more either. It is very cruel to attack other people's basic personalities. Some have already spoken for those who suffer painful shyness. No one would choose it. It never ceases to amaze me the reactions and types of things people say. And what is the point, anyway. It's simply nasty.

• jant
    16 years ago

It's on Youtube Squirrel.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Thanks, jant. I just watched it.

{{!gwi}}

• chiefneil
    16 years ago

The thing to remember is that everything on HGTV is heavily scripted. Even the "reality" shows, like House Hunters, aren't really reality shows. Those people aren't really house buyers, and when they talk about "buying" a house at the end... well, they didn't choose to buy anything because they weren't shopping in the first place.

I would bet money that HGTV spoke to both the husband and wife in advance and said "we're going to come crashing in here screaming that you won, and here's what we want you to do". Then they probably instructed the husband to stand back away from his wife (which I found truly strange and obviously scripted - which couple wouldn't want to hug and stand together for something like that).

They probably also did several takes, with the wife getting progressively more annoyed, stiff, and nervous. I think it's just an example of how terrible HGTV has gotten. Like those ridiculously long pauses and facial reaction shots on that "what's my home worth" show, or whatever it's called. And I did notice the wife's tears - probably tears of embarrassment and frustration at the bizarre host screaming in her face and HGTV spoiling the whole winning event for her.

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

I would bet money that HGTV spoke to both the husband and wife in advance and said "we're going to come crashing in here screaming that you won, and here's what we want you to do".

Of course. First of all, the front door was unlocked (I know I never leave my doors unlocked, and would wager that many, if not most, people are the same way). Second, the risk of just barging into a home unannounced is entirely too great -- armed homeowners vs. unknown intruders? -- There's just no way that the "surprise" was a complete "surprise." This was scripted, in some form or fashion. The winners certainly knew in advance that the film crew was coming, and when.

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

How many of us have entered a contest and then forgot about entering it? Not everyone is obsessed with the HGTV Dream Home giveaway. I watch HGTV fairly regularly, but didn't know for sure that they were giving the house away on Sunday night. I had even made about a dozen entries. So the fact that Stephanie had entered the contest doesn't mean that she knew what to expect and how to react.

I just found the whole set up bizarre. Lauren Lake walks into the house with a totally fake enthusiasm calling out for Stephanie. Stephanie seems to be by herself in the living room. She keeps looking over to her friends and family, who for some reason don't rush in and surround her, but stay out of camera range at the beginning. It was just weird.

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Have any of you met my husband? Well, he would be a ringer for the HGTV winner's husband. Not in looks, but in reaction. He would stand back, smiling a little, looking a bit uncomfortable as he saw my discomfort. He would be wishing hard that he knew what to do. And he might be the one to offer a tissue if one was needed, rather than the friend. But he wouldn't say a word.

I can absolutely manufacture enthusiasm for a surprise, a project, or whatever, if that emotion is called for. But, I'm not particularly shy, and Stephanie was the epitome of shyness. However, once another person succeeds in seriously annoying me, just as Lauren Lake did from the first moment of the video, I rebel and will not respond, smile, or whatever. It wouldn't really matter what she was giving me.

Poor Stephanie. Not only does she have to watch her own reaction replayed over and over and dissected by friends and family, but she also gets flayed on all the decorating boards. I hope she enjoys her house and hope it all works out for her and her family.

Red

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Some of you are so mean...she's drunk, dosen't wash her hair, fights with her husband, has stitches, and is ungrateful. Sheesh she was shocked and probably scared with that banshee screaming in her face. And nothing would peeve me off more than a freak screaming at me about how I should feel about my great fortune, like some charity case or something. It's cool to win..but sheesh umm to say it in the worst way possible (what I was thinking while watching STFU woman!)

A good hostess would have seen she was overwhelmed; she should have lowered her voice, put her arm around the poor woman and said something about her obviously being in shock instead of continuing to scream in her face. That would have helped the woman calm down and then develop a proper reaction that would make America happy.

Normally for programs like this they call the winners and tell them that they're winning a prize in the show so to be prepared, but not that they are winning THE prize. That's how they get the house staged and the correct signatures authorizing the show (ie everyone in the house had to agree it was ok to be on film).

The hostess belongs on HGTV. She was unprofessional and obnoxious and very low class, much like the majority of HGTV shows now a days. It was actually hard to watch, painful really. I feel for the poor woman. I'd personally like to help her financially if she needs it but I guarantee, she's getting calls like that every 30 seconds (I banked 4 lottery winners...I know the drill). She's probably now more overwhelmed, and depressed after America's beat the he!! out of her. She deserves a hug and some sound financial counseling, and some time alone (and probably not in the US where we beat people up for not acting like Lauren Lake).

• spammypam
    16 years ago

My reaction when I watched the show was that Stephanie may have known in advance - possibly her friends and relatives (who left the door unlocked) had to tell her for some reason. It was late and she probably wanted to put the kids to bed. I also think she was shell-shocked by being on live TV while millions of people are watching her. The head scratching was hard to watch. I did wish that she would get it together and appear more appreciative, but Lauren Lake seemed totally insensitive to the fact that this woman was so uncomfortable and she made it worse by screaming. I think HGTV has good personalities, but Lauren Lake and also the other woman on the show at the FL house were terrible and they contributed to making this award show one of the worst shows HGTV ever produced.

As for Stephanie being drunk...if she were I expect that she would not have been so shy and quiet. Obvioulsy, she did not have enough to drink!

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

I have no idea how anyone could've watched that video and concluded that she was drunk. So she had a glass of something in her hand when she first walked into the room ... big deal! Talk about making an assumption and running with it.

• jant
    16 years ago

How refreshing are the last 3 posts....and several others before too.

Red, I couldn't have said it any better than you did....I too "rebel" with that type of person. They TURN ME OFF. Mentally I turn the channel and tune them out.

"However, once another person succeeds in seriously annoying me, just as Lauren Lake did from the first moment of the video, I rebel and will not respond, smile, or whatever. It wouldn't really matter what she was giving me."

• jant
    16 years ago

Simulposting...make that many of the last posts lol!

• decorpas
    16 years ago

Gosh, I hope my comment about her stitches didn't come off mean. I meant that maybe she had recently been through something traumatic and was possibly recovering, because I noticed that she seemed aware of it.

I hope I made myself clear earlier when I posted that I feel like we shouldn't be dissecting her or the host. No one would like to have others do that to them.