SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cnvh_gw

HeartGuard vs interceptor?

cnvh
17 years ago

We normally get our dog's flea (Frontline) and heartworm (Interceptor) preventative directly from our vet, so as you can imagine, we've been paying through the nose. I've decided to start getting these meds online instead, and in searching a few different sites, it seems that Interceptor can only be ordered with a prescription, whereas HeartGuard can be ordered without a script.

I called my vet's office; the tech I spoke to said that they favor Interceptor because it "kills more types of worms" than HeartGuard. She also said that they charge a $16 fee for "records review" before providing a prescription, but that 1-800-petmeds refunds this fee on our first order.

I'm thinking of just ordering the Frontline and HeartGuard from petsuppliesnet.com (since I wouldn't need a script for either, and I believe their prices are better)...

But can anyone give me any insight on the Interceptor vs. HeartGuard difference? If indeed Interceptor kills more types of worms, should I be sure my vet does any additional tests during her annual checkup, to make sure she's still worm-free? (Our dog will be 2 in November and is as healthy as an ox, no health problems whatsoever.)

Comments (46)