SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alaskanatheart

FIP vs. Liver Disease, Help please

alaskanatheart
17 years ago

I found the forum through a search for info about FIP.

Today I was informed by the vet that our 14 month old cat probably has FIP. I'm heartsick, this is our lover of the family. Our other kitties are stand-offish to the kids, but this one snuggles indiscriminately. (Not that I want ANY of them to have FIP, I'm just sick over this)

I read a thread from several months ago about a kitten with FIP....and it seems there are some very knowledgeable folks here, so, here I am.

Clippy has lost some weight, unsure how much, guessing about 2 pounds. He's 7.4lbs now.

CBC is normal, blood panel shows (reference range in parenthesis):

ALB 2.6 (2.2-4.0)

ALKP 71 (14-111)

ALT 82 (12-130)

AMYL 549 (500-1500)

BUN 13 (16-36)

Ca 9.1 (7.8-11.3)

CHOL 178 (65-225)

CREA 1.4 (0.8-2.4)

GLU 102 (74-159)

PHOS 5.0 (3.1-7.5)

TBIL 1.2 (0.0-0.9)

TP 9.6 (5.7-8.9)

GLOB 7.0 (2.8-5.1)

Clippy is sleeping a lot, I guess that would be lethargic. He's not eating much and has obviously lost weight in the past few months. Unsure of his potty habits, as we have two other cats.

We go Monday to have blood drawn for some kind of test for FIP, I'll ask the vet which one when we get there, as I didn't realize there wasn't a definitive test for it. I'd never heard of FIP prior to today.....wish I'd never heard of it now!

Vet seems pretty sure he has it, the non-effusive (dry) type.

I'm guessing he's mainly basing his DX on the elevated globulins......googling that returns FIP on almost every site about it.

Clippy didn't have a fever at his appointment Wednesday, and doesn't have one tonight. I don't know whether he's had one any other time or not.

So, with elevated Total Protein, Total Bilirubins, and Globulins, and low Blood Urea Nitrogen....is there anything else this could possibly be?

Look at Clippy and I just don't see a deathly ill kitty, I just see one who needs to eat more :-(

Any advice would be appreciated. I think I've read just about everything on the web about FIP tonight, and I hate to say it, but it sounds like my vet is on the right track.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!