SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pdog_gw

My power vent on water heater keeps running non-stop

pdog
14 years ago

I have a Kenmore Power Miser 9 50 gallon water heater with Power Vent which is almost 6 years old. I noticed yesterday when I came home from work that the power vent was running, and since both my wife and I work during the day it tells me it had been running since early in the morning after the wife took a shower.

I tried running hot water for a few minutes in order to kick the heater on to produce hot water, but it did not go off (generally runs 5 mins or so after using enough hot water to kick the burner).

Since I really do not understand these things, I will appologize now if I ask a stupid question. I assume there is some sort of switch or sensor that detects when the burner fires up, thus allowing power to the vent. Then, that same switch/sensor detects when there is no more heat and shuts the voltage off to the vent. Am I close?

Below is a direct link to the parts breakdown of the entire unit. I was thinking of ordering a new pressure switch to see if that would work. Not sure what is involved in replacing one though.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. In order to save electricity and wear and tear on the vent, I shut the gas and pilot off and unplugged the vent after the Mrs. took a shower this morning.

Ah, the joys of owning a home :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears Parts

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living