SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetchastity

Dustin's getting neutered, what should I do?

sweetchastity
15 years ago

I've scheduled Dustin with the vet for September 3rd. I've been told remove food dish at 8 pm but water is ok. I'm dropping him off at 8 am the next morning. I'm getting nervous now that its getting closer to take him in.

He hated the last visit to the vet. I drop him off at 8 am and pick him up at 6 pm and am worried he'll spend part of the day waiting for surgery and then handling and caring for him after. I don't want him to be scared so I'm hoping some cat owner's here can give me some advice.

I've seen the easiest way to get him in the carrier is hind end first. I assume I'll drop him and the carrier off so they can put him in when I pick him up. I'm sure the doctor will give me instructions if there are any but I'm worried about the affect on him psychologically. He'll have a scary car ride, be left with strangers in a confined area, have surgery and there has to be some pain and confusion with the anesthesia that I think he would experience, then may be sore for a few days after. How do I ease his fears when he comes home?

I figure he'll hide under the bed for a bit. I got a nice cat scratch post with comfy sitting areas he loves, will jumping up/down on them be dangerous? Should I pick him up and put him on them to make it easier for him? Should I give him more affection and attention or will he need time to himself to get over the experience?

Maybe I'm being a mother hen and worrying too much but he was a stray who spent over a month at a pet store before I brought him to a comfortable home he could explore and gave him attention he might have lacked in the previous environment. I think he may have thought on the last visit that he was being taken away from his new home. I brought him home on the 8th of August and am not sure how long it takes for animals to bond with people.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments (11)