SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
becky_jean_gw

Animal control-type shelters question

becky_jean
17 years ago

Don't, or shouldn't shelters separate very young puppies from adult dogs when found? Is there any SPCA guideline or "law" about this?

I'll try to be brief: 5 days after we got our 8 1/2 week old lab, she escaped through the tiny space between chain link fence post & house (I didn't think it was possible until a co worker had just had his lab pup do same.). Since we know it happened between 4:30 & 6:00 am, no gates were open, no digging, and we have seen Great Horned Owls from the woods behind us to be really close to the house, we were gut sick but felt an owl had gotten her. I immediately called our county animal control & vet's office to be on lookout for her, although I thought it was hopeless. Co-worker suggested I call animal control for adjoining county(we are close to county line); I did; she was there!! When I went to identify/get her, she was starved & in a pen (nothing to lay on) with 5 other adult dogs! One standard Chihuahua even snapped at her when I was trying to get her out the gate.

Now she is in the "hospital" with Parvo! According to my vet's information on the incubation period, she caught it while at the "pound"! I understand that puppies are very succeptible & she had only had her Parvo immunization 4 days earlier, but I don't think the fact that she was with adult dogs or that she wasn't big enough to fight for food & was weakened helped any. I just can't BELIEVE they would put a really young puppy with grown dogs!! In talking with my vet, he said his personal opinion was that ALL animals brought in should be quarantined at least for a short time.

I understand space is always an issue but this facility just built an additional mega building. My Mattie was in the old part. Don't know what they're doing witht the newer big builging. Even my countie's understaffed, underfunded agency separates them out & actually is much cleaner.

Let me know if there are any guidelines (legal) on this, please! I guess, I should also let them know they have Parvovirus floating around in there.

BTW, this morning my Mattie was holding her own but not out of the woods yet. Say a prayer for her!

thanks

Becky

Comments (10)