SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cnvh_gw

Speak to me of drain-clearing chemicals

cnvh
15 years ago

To make a long story short, our main sewer line clogged this weekend. Two days, $450, some DIY, and a "professional" drain-cleaning later, we have flow restored but I'm not convinced we're past the problem. I'm reasonably sure (thanks to some camera footage from inside the lines, thanks to our local sewer authority) that we still have a partial clog in there-- looks like the auger went through the clog but didn't clear it, leaving a 1 1/2" opening through what should be a 4" pipe.

Currently we have no backup problems and have been doing dishes, flushing toilets, getting showers, etc., but I feel like we're sitting on a ticking time bomb. To fix it properly, we'll probably need to have it "jetted," but that's going to cost between $400-$500 from the estimates I've been getting. Coincidentally, hubby found out last night that his work hours are going to be cut by 50% starting tomorrow, so cost is DEFINITELY an issue right now.

So... can anyone tell me about drain-cleaning chemical products, like Drano-type stuff? Are ANY of them any good and breaking down primarily grease-related clogs? We got some stuff yesterday at the plumbing supply house-- I forget what it's called but it's meant to open up partially-clogged drains; you mix it up 2 oz. cleaner to 8 oz. hot water, dump it down the drain and let it go overnight, repeating for 1-3 days. It smells like Pine-Sol.

Do we have any hope solving this with a drain-cleaning chemical, or will we have to scrape up the $$ to jet it?

Comments (4)