SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thetoe_gw

Coordinating antique brass with polished brass

thetoe
14 years ago

Hello.

I am in the late stages of preparing my condo for sale. The one thing my realtor recommended changing was the chandelier.

The chandelier is the first thing you see when you walk in the door, and the current one is a rather cheap-looking, bare-bulb polished brass affair... very similar ones can be had for $35 at Lowes. It looks like it might be worth $35 if it weren't somewhat beat up. So I'm inclined to agree with my realtor that it needs to be replaced.

Much of the rest of the house's furnishings are in polished brass: notably the doorknobs, hinges and bumpers, plus the nearby cabinet knobs and the nearby powder room fixtures. Changing out all of those would be quite expensive, not to mention the great difficulty of changing all of the door hinges.

However, I also think that polished brass is somewhat "out" these days, and especially in a chandelier it seems rather down-scale. Is that the general sentiment these days? I.e., are potential buyers more likely to be turned off than on by a polished brass chandelier?

If so, then how bad would it look to replace the current fixture with antique brass? It seems more "in," but I can't really get a feel for how it would look with the polished brass elsewhere in the vicinity. (For what it is worth, the door hinges are a bit "antiqued" as the polished brass is bit discolored on them).

Opinions? Other than changing all the hardware throughout the house? :)

Thanks!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996